New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"Steam Controller" announced

WalkyWalky Posts: 357
Brain Burst
edited September 2013 in General

Comments

• KydDynoMyteKydDynoMyte Posts: 322
    Brain Burst
    Replacing the thumbsticks with round discs made me think of way back when I removed the round discs from my Intellivision controllers and replaced them with sticks for better control. I never knew my upgrade was really a downgrade. I hope I can find the old discs to switch them back.
  • bidjibidji Posts: 70
    yeah, well... always nice to see some innovation in gaming, I suppose. I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games. but then again, I'm not a "living room" gamer.
  • KydDynoMyteKydDynoMyte Posts: 322
    Brain Burst
    bidji wrote:
    .... I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games...

I think a thumb trackball is vastly superior to a mouse, but I'd rather my opponents use a mouse or gamepad type controller.
    oh, I was just speaking for myself. it's just that I've been using the KB+M combo for so long that I'm pretty much useless with anything else. :)
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    Nice, would like to see a demo of those ¨talking¨ haptics
  • Frito wrote:
    Nice, would like to see a demo of those ¨talking¨ haptics

Same, I'm curious as to what sort of sounds can be produced by that parlour trick.
    Seeing is believing
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    That will depend mainly on the frequency range they can handle and the physical propertied of the controller. This is similar to how you can play music on stepper motor based devices/machines such as floppy disk drives or CNC machines (those are frequency-only based though, so it's quite limited), but depending on the feedback system used it might be able to produce "richer" sounds:

• 360FOV360FOV Posts: 476
    Art3mis
    A controller with mouse precision is exactly what is needed to bring PC gaming into the living room. It will allow console gamers who are visiting their PC gamer friends to jump into the game without the fear that they will look bad due to their lack of mouse skills. I have to admit that their is a great convenience to sitting on a couch with a controller. It just seems so awkward to use a mouse at any place other than a desk.

The addition of haptic feedback is a nice touch also. Actually feeling the direction that firing is coming from will be a blast! :D
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Really digging this controller. The initial announcement was underwhelming until I scrolled down to see the thing. :)
    360FOV wrote:
    It will allow console gamers who are visiting their PC gamer friends to jump into the game without the fear that they will look bad due to their lack of mouse skills.

And the other way around! If I visit someone playing a crazy console FPS and they hand me the controller with thumbsticks, and I'm like a deer in the headlights for a bit. :(
  • eligelig Posts: 46
    Worst controller ever. Destined for failure. Mark my words, that controller will be Valve's biggest failure. Love the steam machines, love steamos, but that controller is the worst I have ever seen.
  • QixQix Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Replacing the thumbsticks with round discs made me think of way back when I removed the round discs from my Intellivision controllers and replaced them with sticks for better control. I never knew my upgrade was really a downgrade. I hope I can find the old discs to switch them back.

Yeah I did the same thing.. I was jealous of my friends Atari 2600. Nothing beats Submarine battle and Triple action with friends.
  • 360FOV360FOV Posts: 476
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    And the other way around! If I visit someone playing a crazy console FPS and they hand me the controller with thumbsticks, and I'm like a deer in the headlights for a bit. :(

Yeah, I agree. When I first started playing on PS3 I was shooting air for 6 months before I started getting head shots with a controller. It is embarrassing when 7 year olds can totally own you! :lol:
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    elig wrote:
    Worst controller ever. Destined for failure. Mark my words, that controller will be Valve's biggest failure. Love the steam machines, love steamos, but that controller is the worst I have ever seen.
    It doesn't look comfortable or superior to me, either, I'll still be interested in trying it before dismissing it. ^^
    well, it is basically a gamepad that offers more accurate controls than a classical consoley controller. so for people like me who find such controllers uncomfortable, it's just back to square one. but it's just their first stab at making a controller, maybe they can come up with something that better suits my needs in the future.
    and yes, I'd probably have to try it first hand, so to speak, before completely dismissing it.
  • RoTaToR1979RoTaToR1979 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    I thought Valve will do some input device with bio-Feedback?

But I didnt see this at this controller... ^^
  • GassnifferGassniffer Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    OMG bring back PT Boats !!!!!!!!!
  • KiritoKirito Posts: 181
    valve has money so they can easly compete with the big consoles
    images3vfi.jpg
  • LibreLibre Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Right. I am not a developer, I do not know what's actually possible.

However.

I am very excited for this controller, especially in regards to it's use with VR. I am assuming a fairly high-performance feedback system, but... it's Valve, right? They've been doing something with all that hat money.

It sounds like a haptic device that would be perfect for some games, as well as an appealing mass-market form factor. You know exactly where someone's hand rests on the surface, and you're able to feed back haptic information that reinforces the virtual scene. Stellar!

Pie-in-the-sky Stuff: I bet you could do some fun things in the long term with neural adaptation too- map a virtual body to different haptic signals, essentially learning to "feel" the virtual body entirely through your hands. Virtual Synekinethisia? Too cool!

My only concern is that there's no mention of a positional tracking system, which might limit the controller's initial usefulness in VR-specific applications. They might want to leave that space open for future development, the finished controller might have a STEM port, or they've got their own solution they're keeping quiet about. Hard to say.

I worry that the tactical haptics guys might suddenly have some stiff competition, but I also think about a combination of the two technologies could be amazing.
  • lilwolflilwolf Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    As a PC gamer who never liked fps on a console, I agree with bidji... It's really what you grew up with. The ability to make large motions when necessary, and slow ones when needed I think wins it for the mouse, but the keyboard (and me being left handed so I can't use WASD) makes the keyboard a bit of an issue.

that being said. I'm getting used to the xbox controller because of VR. So until we can get a way to use the keyboard/mouse while standing up...
    bidji wrote:
    .... I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games...

I think a thumb trackball is vastly superior to a mouse, but I'd rather my opponents use a mouse or gamepad type controller.
  • KrixusParabellumKrixusParabellum Posts: 249
    Hiro Protagonist
    PenguinJim wrote:
    elig wrote:
    It doesn't look comfortable or superior to me, either, I'll still be interested in trying it before dismissing it. ^^

Yep, this is Valve we're talking about, you can't judge their controller without trying it
    This looks like the first hybrid between mouse/KB and a console controller, a device which allows the players to play normal games as well as strategy-based type games like starcraft2
    If that's the case, it means it's the first of its kind to bring the precision of a KB/mouse combo to a gamepad.
  • I'm willing to try it before dismissing it (If it get's popular i'll have to support it anyway) but i'm a bit sceptical: I think it's going to suck for games which are usually played with thumbsticks.. imagine playing CoD/StreetFighter/Halo/etc. with your laptop touchpad :/. And my personal opinion is that playing games such as Civilization with a touchpad is also a pain compared to having a mouse.

And by the way.. am I the only person on earth who doesn't like haptic feedback?, I disable it on all my touch devices because the vibration annoys me or itches, I do like it for force feedback however.

Maybe we just need an upgraded PowerGlove, one that's less bad (:
    Programmer - No need for alcohol anymore, I'm drunk on VR. Now where's that bucket.. ~ Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
  • ZuluPilotZuluPilot Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I was a console gamer before PC and I still love me some couch gaming, so I'll definitely install SteamOS on my old Laptop (Currently running Linux Mint exclusively anyway) and give the controller a shot. I'm definitely sceptical but if all they promise turns out to actually work as advertised it could be by far the best controller of the bunch. The haptics especially sound interesting. Theoretically you could map the mouse to the middle ring of the right touchpad and ABXY (or even four more buttons) to the outer ring and make the user feel where they are through haptic feedback. Reading through some of the developer feedback that seems to be the general idea anyway:
    http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller