cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the Rift is superior for FPS games...

LoneCoder
Honored Guest
I've been playing better than I ever have at TF2. I've never dominated like this before and I think I've figured out why.

When the mouse crosshair is not fixed to camera movement, aiming feels a lot more like it does when you're not gaming. Being able to "point and click" with the crosshair without dragging the whole view with it has dramatically improved my aiming. I'm able to get on target a lot faster and that's the most important skill in FPS games.

I think it's because I spend most of my time using the mouse to point and click outside of games or even in just about all non-FPS games. It's the natural way to use a mouse.
7 REPLIES 7

jwilkins
Explorer
Now I'm curious if anybody ever evaluated Fitt's Law for when you are scrolling the screen under the mouse instead of the usual way. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

KrisRedbeard
Explorer
I see the Rift makes giving people the much needed boost to situational awareness, but I am yet to find anything that beats the Mouse & Keyboard combination for accurate aiming and movement.

I take it movement direction is bound to the direction you are looking?
Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

jwilkins
Explorer
"KrisRedbeard" wrote:
I see the Rift makes giving people the much needed boost to situational awareness, but I am yet to find anything that beats the Mouse & Keyboard combination for accurate aiming and movement.

I take it movement direction is bound to the direction you are looking?

There are various modes that Valve has programmed in and I don't think he indicated exactly which one.

He is aiming with the mouse, but now the mouse moves to target instead of moving the target to the mouse. I can see how this would be much more natural.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

jjoudrey
Honored Guest
Displays such as the rift will find some level of acceptance in shooters, but I'm not convinced that they improve player performance. The best place I can think of for a display such as the oculus rift is in a game where the player has a nearly-fixed position and a definite forward direction (sitting in a car for example, or standing beside a game board). Once something like the oculus goes wireless though, you might see a whole other situation.

I've adapted unity's Angry Bots demo to be an oculus shooter, and although it is very immersive, the best game performance comes from holding your head still and using the mouse to aim like a traditional FPS.

Check out a video here...
http://youtu.be/0Tmt7TMrKvY
The actual game here...
http://bit.ly/ZUObHJ
And the Reddit here...
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1ccm9u/oculus_bots

Jesse

jwilkins
Explorer
I don't think anybody is arguing that people should aim with their heads. Of course your best performance comes from holding your head still and aiming, that is how people with guns in real life get the best performance too.

The problem is that in keyboard/mouse/gamepad shooters are moving your "head" to aim.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

KrisRedbeard
Explorer
"jwilkins" wrote:
I don't think anybody is arguing that people should aim with their heads. Of course your best performance comes from holding your head still and aiming, that is how people with guns in real life get the best performance too.

The problem is that in keyboard/mouse/gamepad shooters are moving your "head" to aim.

The problem is that in most shooters you pivot and aim from a magical floating point in space 😛

As for aiming, you move your head, upper body and weapon as one unit. Moving your weapon independently of where you are looking is spraying and praying, negating the point of weapon sights in the first place. Perfectly acceptable in TF2, CoD, BF3 and the like. Not so much in game where aiming actually matters, such as the Arma series.
Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jwilkins" wrote:
Now I'm curious if anybody ever evaluated Fitt's Law for when you are scrolling the screen under the mouse instead of the usual way. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference.

Funny how these things happen... I hadn't heard of Fitt's Law before and within one week I see it here in this forum and also in posting about Google Chrome's context menu.