New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Hardware minimum vs nice experiance

thorschrammethorschramme Posts: 4
NerveGear
i ll receive my cv 1 tomorrow, And i ll see if my old setup 2x hd7990 s and the 4790 k with 32gb ram will stand the challenge, 

Feedback ll come ( i know my specs are pretty low, but we ll see)

Comments

• Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    VR games are in low quality. Should be ok.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    molokow said:
    VR games are in low quality. Should be ok.
    Oo
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    SLI/CFX is not supported, so you won't get all the performance out of that GPU. It should technically be compatible, though I would not expect to max out some of the higher-end titles.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • thorschrammethorschramme Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    i ll give the sumary after Warthunder Simbattles :-)

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,004 Volunteer Moderator
    I thought you wasn't telling any more funnies @molokow :open_mouth:
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    NerveGear
    screen in the occulus stays black, i m running it from display port, i m dooing something wrong here

• battleaxe39battleaxe39 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    SLI/CFX is not supported, so you won't get all the performance out of that GPU. It should technically be compatible, though I would not expect to max out some of the higher-end titles.
    are there plans to enable sli? I have 2 970's waiting for sli profiles, I was hoping that 2 of them in sli would run every game at 90 fps with 1.5 SS, and maybe a bit more with asw engaged :)
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

From what I understand, SLI gave way to ATW and ASW as a priority for VR GPU development. 

I don't believe SLI is able to give the same performance gains because of the way the display pipeline works for VR.  Essentially, SLI injects delays in the display pipeline that negate any real benefit from the extra processing power.  Now that 90fps is the standard, every millisecond counts and SLI is simply adds too much delay to justify its use.  I'm sure someone with a deeper understanding can explain better than I can.

It sucks because many of us bought earlier gen cards like the 970 rather than a 980 or Titan, hoping we could simply buy another as the requirements went up.  Instead my 970 gave way to a 1080.

Now, the 1080 is an awesome card so I shouldn't complain too much :)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • battleaxe39battleaxe39 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    OK explained well enough thanks:) I hope asw is worth it, I might just take out my other 970 if its not needed, I've had my rift about 2 months and I've not played a single 2d game lol
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    In theory, there is probably a way to make multi-GPU function, but it would require move novel rendering schemes (meaning not AFR) and I seriously doubt it will happen any time soon.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, got it running finaly, it runs pretty good on 7970, the fault was a old dp to hdmi connector
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    SLI will work with nVidia VR SLI, but for that to work you need a 1000-series nVidia card, and the game needs to support it (I don't know if any games support it yet, since Unity is only just now getting support for VR SLI and Unreal hasn't had it for much longer)
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    nividia are actually working on SLI

dont hold your breath tho
  • CorradoCorrado Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    All VR Games looks like a 2000 Game, the Graphics are very weak.
    I Play with a 780gtx with 90fps 

• HaselHoofHaselHoof Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I will just chime in with my own experience , i first used my rift with a GTX 970 and thought wow this is fantastic but i have recently updated to a GTX 1080 and now i'm going wow this is fantastic all over again the quality of the images i see are not only better but also clearer " i wear glasses normally but not in the rift so i put the blurry text down to my eyesight".
    The rift will work on lower level video cards and like me you will probably be happy with it " as you dont know any different " but install a better video card and you will be shocked at how much better it looks.
    Which leaves me with thoughts of why some people love the rift and some people are disapointed with it. I think pc specs could be the problem with a lot of peoples experiences and why some games give them problems.
    Anyway i love my rift all the more since my video card update and the best upgrade ive done.

My pc specs are a i5-2500k stock 16gb ram and a ssd for my os and an ssd for my rift games.

• monkee91monkee91 Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Good advice it confirms nicely all the other post I have read across forums.
    I shall sell my 970 and purchase a 1080 : )
    I too wear glasses, the view is better, sharper with them than with out.
    I have found that with out glasses objects directly ahead are fine, but not to the sides, my glasses correct this.
    I have a i7 two SSD's 32gb ram.

God Bless

• monkee91monkee91 Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Hallo HaselHoof,

There are several manufactures of this card.

I wonder if you desided on a specific one over the others, and could you say why.

Advice on that one would be much appreciated.

God Bless Allen