cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maere - When Lights Die (survival-horror)

MatteoFantasy
Honored Guest
Hello everyone !

We are four students of a french engineering school called IMAC, and it's been a year now since we started our project to create a survival-horror game for the Rift. We tried to focus and the atmosphere and story rather than relying on "cheap" jumpscares. The non-VR version has had unexpectedly good feedback (given that we're not a professional studio), with more than 50 000 downloads in about 5 months.

After receiving our dev kit in june and a few months of nightime coding, the Oculus-ready version of Maere has been released yesterday 😉

You can download it on our website : http://www.whenlightsdie.com/
It is free, but you can also make a small donation if you like what we did.

You can use either your mouse and keyboard or the XBox gamepad to play. The default settings work pretty good but you can fool around with it if you want to experiment with different control schemes :

Mouse sensitivity
Pretty obvious, you might want to set it a little bit higher when playing with a gamepad.

Deadzone angle
Your head and body rotations are indepedant : it means you can look anywhere while walking and keeping your global direction.
However, it proved hard to walk in a straight line, so we implemented an "angle" inside which your body follows your head's direction, making it easier to move.
Set it to a lower value to make your head and body less dependant, to a higher value if you want to control your direction with your head.

Max flashlight angle
The mouse (or analog stick) is used to move your flashlight around so you can get a better look at things.
Move your flashlight on the far left or right edge of your screen to turn your body (change direction).
If you lower the max angle, you will turn "sooner". It can be pushed to a point (set it to 1) where your body turns at the same time as your mouse.

Try to keep your head straight at the end of the intro since the next level will load and reset the Rift's position...we're working on a solution.
That's it, we hope you'll like it, feel free to help us improve the experience by giving us your feedback !
😄

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is realllyyy creepy ! Played for 10 minutes and it scared the hell out of me !

DavidMulder
Honored Guest
Any plans on support the Rift? Especially in the way alone in the rift does?

MatteoFantasy
Honored Guest
DavidMulder : I'm not shure I get your question...the latest version does indeed support the Rift. I haven't player Alone in the Rift though so I may be missing your point ?

DavidMulder
Honored Guest
I. Am. An. Idiot.

I meant the hydra and not the oculus rift, don't ask me how I got those two names messed up. Probably was thinking of alone in the rift whilst writing "hydra". My bad.

MatteoFantasy
Honored Guest
The answer is "probably not" : first, because we don't have an hydra to work with, and mostly because we have almost no object to interact with in the game...Virtual hands are cool if you have something to grab 😉

darksideshero
Honored Guest
Welp, this is going to be my first Horror experience with the Rift. It's the main reason why I got it. I don't know if my body is ready for this :cry:
CPU - FX-8350 @ 4.6Ghz GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 RAM - G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz 16GB SSD - Samsung 840 PRO 512GB MB - ASUS Crosshair V PSU - Corsair TX850w Cert Gold

Ganjaroach
Explorer

This was a really scary game, When
the kid was standing behind me
it about made me jump out of my chair when I turned around. This was a really well done game that made me jump quiet a few times the sound effects really help to set the scary mood of the game. I really liked the start of the game, you are told to put on the rift and something goes wrong that was a very nice way to set the immersion of the game. horror games in the rift are such a good experience and prove that VR is way more immersive then just playing on a monitor.

I have a few questions is there a ending I only played it the one time for the video so far. Is there anyway to set the flash light to the rift, having to move the joystick then my head is somewhat clumsy for me. Is there more to the story of the game or does it reveal as you play?

The starting menu not being in 3D isn't so bad, because of the way it starts with telling you to put the rift on. When you die tho the restart menu being in 2d isn't good because you still have the rift on at that point. With that aside I really enjoyed this and plan on going back and finding out what else happens tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

ahillel
Honored Guest
Um.. That's wierd. It shows a regular single-display on my machine. Oculus Rift double-display was not supported. Am I the only one who got it like that?

przecinek
Rising Star
Sorry if I'm being mr. obvious here, but have you selected "Oculus rift" when the game starts?