cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random green dots on rift's lcd

GhostRain
Honored Guest
Hi there,

I think the lcd screen in my rift may be dying. A couple of weeks ago the image started to look weird - there are green dot's all over the place.

Here are photos to show you what I mean ...

... the first one is just black screen with image (the green dots should be black pixels), the second one is auroraborealis.

The strange thing is that the dot's seem to have a pattern - they surround bright objects that are in a dark background, and to me it looks like some colors are being misinterpreted or something.

I tried it with both DVI and HDMI and I tried different computers, so I'm sure that it's not a cable or graphics card thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

haibane
Honored Guest
maybe stuck pixels...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Are the green dots consistent (meaning always in the same place) or do they move around?

If they're static, that may be a hardware defect in the screen. If they seem to flicker or move, I would think its a problem with the video card (for example corrupting in the VRAM).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

GhostRain
Honored Guest
Hi Cyberreality,

The green dots move around with the image, and are not just isolated pixels - they're more green blobs i guess.
For example, in buddha clubtron there are the green colors around the dancing ghosts (where it should be transparent):

I thought it was a video card thing as well, but the exact same thing happens when I try the rift in a different computer.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you take a video of the problem?

Ideally do this in Tuscany, since everyone is familiar on how its supposed to look.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

GhostRain
Honored Guest
Hey Cybereality,

I went to take a video of Tuscany today, but the problem is now gone! 😄
If it comes back I'll take a video and post it up.

Not sure if this matters, but there were times before where I forgot to turn the power off on the Rift, so it was powered up for many hours at a time. Maybe it didn't like that? Anyways, all good for now 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Some of the early units had issues with being powered on all the time, but I believe this should have been fixed before we started shipping kits. However, I usually try to leave my Rift off when not using it.

It could also have maybe been a loose cable or something like that. Hard to say.

If the problem comes back, please try to take a quick video and let me know. Thanks.

GhostRain
Honored Guest
Hi Cybereality,

Unfortunately the problem has returned. I've taken a video of it happening in Tuscany.

Here is Tuscany in the rift:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b71lj0upr3yin6o/Tuscany%20in%20Rift.mp4

... here is Tuscany on my tv with the same computer and cable - it's 100% fine when viewed on the tv:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fqv6tlp2j64c6f/Tuscany%20on%20tv.mp4

The video isn't very clear (it looks much more pronounced when you're looking through the rift) but you can see what I mean - especially the green dots around the book, and the weird colors on the wall and black floor tiles.

I'm 100% sure it's not the cable because:

It happens with both a HDMI cable (I tried 2 different onces), and it also happens with DVI

The exact same cable connected to a computer monitor works fine

I'm also 100% sure that it's not the video card (even though it looks like it is) because:

It happens on both my PC and my laptop

Any ideas?

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've heard cases where you can wiggle the cable (either the one on the Rift or the control box) and the issue would go away. However if you would like a replacement, please contact support@oculus.com

GhostRain
Honored Guest
Thanks cybereality, I'll try wiggling the cable (although it does happen on both HDMI and DVI inputs) and will email support if this doesn't help.