ASW enabled today!!! - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

ASW enabled today!!!

Comments

• ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    Some people are weird, I know someone who "says" he doesn't notice screen tear, no matter how bad it is.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    Well isn't the point that if it does its job well enough, you shouldn't notice the difference. I can't imagine that anyone was actually trying to have an experience at 45fps. 
    3Jane
    You should notice though if the game didn't perform that well before. If it did then you probably don't need ASW anyway.
    Well for me I've run pretty much everything on recommended settings, so I've been getting my 90fps. However with ASW I intend to crank up the graphics past their recommended settings which will drop the frame rate down, then allow ASW to pick up the shortfall and see if it's worth it or not. It's going to be a suck it and see experiment. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,260 Valuable Player
    I ran a demo with pixel density set at 2.0. ATW was on because I was getting 45FPS in the demo. I could move my head around though like it was 90 FPS without noticing any difference. The demo appeared very smooth still and this is what ATW does.
  • maa_boomaa_boo Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Two questions:
    1. How to disable AWS in registry?
    2. Have anyone got link to Runtime 1.9? (may be in browser's history).
    3Jane
    Finally, actually got the update.

/waits for Touch controllers to ship.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I have a 980ti, and haven't really had any framerate issues with anything, so ASW didn't make any difference. However, The Climb just released an update with graphical options, and you can make the game look DAMN nice with them at a serious framerate cost - and now ASW is kicking in hardcore, it's amazing. The only place I notice any artifacts from ASW is a climb in the dark where you have a light shining where you look - the area of lit-up rocks kind-of shimmers freakily. That level I'm gonna have to turn down my graphic settings.
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    Okay just got 1.10 update. 

Now can run project cars and dirt with max settings and it runs really smooth.

Geforce 1080

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    i also finally have it, just turned on rift and there was a full setup page again

ty Oculus, time to test elite later
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    looks like they opened the floodgates, recently got mine too. Time to play :wink:
    3Jane
    Cranked Dirt Rally up to max, buttery smooth, whereas framerate was choppy before.

Well done Oculus, so far so good.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,260 Valuable Player
    What I'd to know is does it matter if you had the registry hack before or were you suppose to delete it before the update?
    3Jane
    Pretty sure you don't have to do anything, but I deleted the "hack" before I got the update just to be safe.
    lovethis said:
    What I'd to know is does it matter if you had the registry hack before or were you suppose to delete it before the update?
    No, it's disabled in the update.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    But do the Ctrl key combinations still work?

i've been turning ASW off in DCS World, as the HUD and other cockpit display elements get a bit funky with even the slightest movement of the head

edit: never mind, I've found the answer elsewhere and it looks like the Ctrl key combos still work. \o/
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Got the 1.10 update and tried both E:D and Obduction on ultra settings + some supersampling. I have never been able to play on these settings before. I have to say I'm VERY impressed, I can only see minor differences between 45 and 90 fps.

In E:D the ASW only kicked in inside huge stations, and the only thing I noticed was that while scrolling through options the selected button will smudge downwards, almost like it's melting, but very briefly before returning to normal. 

For Obduction ASW was active all the time except inside the main menu. I have to say it looked very, very good. I could finally see all the little details of the terrain and the shadows. What I noticed was a slight ghosting effect when teleporting (I puke from free movement), like a transparent jelly coating the screen before the image turns normal. Now that sounds pretty bad but it actually looks kind of cool, like it's supposed to be there. And of course it's very brief and hardly noticeable unless you have something to compare to. Otherwise there's no difference.

Once you slip below 45 FPS there's crazy lag, though. The difference between 45 and 44 fps are now enormous for obvious reasons. Overall I'm very happy with the update.
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    Trouble with Obduction, (for me and others too) is that ASW won't fix games like this, it's just poorly optimised for certain hardware configurations, and regardless of what I do with the settings the game is choppy and stuttery all over the place. Unplayable for me.

• RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    @Applecorp Really? I didn't notice any stutter at all just now, and for me it lagged like crazy before. I play with teleportation and snap turning enabled though, maybe it's different with free movement
    3Jane
    Nope, it runs poorly for a lot of people before and after the update, whatever the settings. even when not in VR mode.
    Well I've never used the debug tool before as I knew I didn't have a lot of headroom (AMD 480) but just fired it up to see what I might be able to do with ASW. I maxed out everything on Damaged Core with the Performance display turned on in my headset, frame rate had dropped to around 50 but in gameplay ASW picked up the slack nicely, with no detectable jarring. I like it.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    I like to see a poll done with people seeing issues still with ASW compare to their hardware. Most of these post are reporting issues with software, but don't really say what they're running on their GPUs or drivers.

1) Working, AMD, smooth
    2) Working, AMD, some games not as smooth
    3) Not Working, AMD, nothing seems to be happening
    4) Working, Nvidia, smooth
    5) Working, Nvidia, some games not as smooth
    6) Not Working, Nvidia, nothing seems to be happening
    Well you know what they say, if you want something done...... 
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    That'd be a 5 for me.  I suspect that the DCS World developers used that technique that is picked out in the 1.10 release notes, as not working with ASW.  "head-locked" something or other, IIRC.

Edit: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    Finally got the update this afternoon. Tried Project CARS with 2.0 pixel density override, felt nice and smooth at 45 fps.

Some people have reported having access to Oculus Avatars with 1.10. I was hoping for that, but alas, I don't have it (it should apparently show up above your name at top right in the Home environment if you have access to it).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 509
    Neo
    edited November 2016
    OK Updates like this make me very excited and hyped for future updates.

Using the guides to enable ASW I tried Eve Valkyrie. Normally I play the game on high settings and I get 90 FPS.
    Just now I set the game settings to 'Ultra' ran ASW and had the 45 FPS lock. The game looked incredible and I didn't notice any difference between the normal 90 FPS and the new ASW 45 FPS.
    I consider this an Incredible achievement from Oculus.

The game was still laggy/stuttering when I tried super sampling with the Debug tool (1.5) but hopefully they can do something similar to the ASW feature for super sampling.

Nice job Oculus!

My PC Specs:
    ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    ☆ Intel Core i7-3770
    ☆ 16.0GB Ram
    ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit
    ☆ Oculus Rift CV1
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    3Jane
    Not sure if this is to do with the update but for some reason, lately when I launch a game from Oculus Home it also launches Steam VR as well now. It never used to do that. Why would it even do that  especially if I don't even have the games in Steam?!
    Applecorp said:
    Not sure if this is to do with the update but for some reason, lately when I launch a game from Oculus Home it also launches Steam VR as well now. It never used to do that. Why would it even do that  especially if I don't even have the games in Steam?!
    I had that happen to me a couple of days ago when running Adr1ft. It had been downloaded from Steam but I was selecting the option of running it through Oculus Rift so thought it was odd.
  • birkbirk Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    Finally got the update this afternoon. Tried Project CARS with 2.0 pixel density override, felt nice and smooth at 45 fps.

Some people have reported having access to Oculus Avatars with 1.10. I was hoping for that, but alas, I don't have it (it should apparently show up above your name at top right in the Home environment if you have access to it).
    you can try it if you go to C/program files/oculus/support/avatar editor and then click on the avatar.exe file. I´m not at my pc at the moment so not sure if that was 100% the correct path, but its something like that
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    birk said:
    you can try it if you go to C/program files/oculus/support/avatar editor and then click on the avatar.exe file. I´m not at my pc at the moment so not sure if that was 100% the correct path, but its something like that

Yeah, I saw @kojack's tip about that in another thread and tried it last night. Pretty neat.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB