Oculus Avatars is Live! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Avatars is Live!

Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
Art3mis
edited November 2016 in General
I just noticed, so I've recorded a quick video of it, it's quite cool! :)

EDIT: new video that shows the Touch capabilities

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,959 Volunteer Moderator
    oooh this looks pretty interesting
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Awesome! could you try First Contact as well? its at thr bottom of your Library but only on the desktop app :)
  • Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    I should add that it is possible to actually grab the items from the menu with your virtual hands, which is pretty neat!
    Art3mis
    FrozenPea said:
    Awesome! could you try First Contact as well? its at thr bottom of your Library but only on the desktop app :)
    I can't see that, where is it?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,792 Valuable Player
    Oh god i like the look of that!

Didn't you actually used to be called RikkTheGaijin on here Mr Wilde?  The one who did the amazing 3d piccies for Render the Metaverse?
    Art3mis
    andyring said:
    Oh god i like the look of that!

Didn't you actually used to be called RikkTheGaijin on here Mr Wilde?  The one who did the amazing 3d piccies for Render the Metaverse?
    Nah, that's my evil twin. B)
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    Eh? Where did you find the app??
    Art3mis
    Eh? Where did you find the app??
    It's right there in Oculus Home, above my user name.
    Art3mis
    edited November 2016
    New video that shows the Touch capabilities

• Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    Is Avatars part of the 1.10 update??? Didn't think it was active until 6th December... Has it activated early because you have Touch already?
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
    Art3mis
    I don't know, but some people on Reddit have it even if they don't have Touch, so maybe it's random? I have no idea.
    Art3mis
    Ah yes, I thought you meant the Store! :D
    Art3mis

Oculus Avatars is Live For Some!*

then :P
    Damn hope mine updates soon.
    Art3mis
    Btw, if anybody wants to add me as a friend, my user name is RikkTheGaijin.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Are you for serious?  You're Rikk?   :D
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Art3mis
    Zoomie said:
    I'm surprised nobody figured it out sooner. :#
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited November 2016
    The last time I suggested someone was a returning *ahem* forum member I got shit on.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,303 Valuable Player
    hah! I didn't know you were Rikk either. You sneaky fox.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I can only hope the Avatar hair selection will include something even remotely as glamorous as my real-life hair.

Character creators in games have always left me disappointed in that respect. :( 

P.S.  Thanks for sharing all this, Mr. Wilde!   It's great having a member of the community who can fill us in on this stuff while we wait to get our hands on it.  In retrospect, I'm glad you didn't get frustrated and leave us back when you were having hardware/support/replacement issues. :wink:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Art3mis
    edited November 2016
    CrashFu said:
    I can only hope the Avatar hair selection will include something even remotely as glamorous as my real-life hair.
    This doesn't feel like it's meant to recreate the user, rather it's a fantasy interpretation. There are quite few sci-fi/steam punk dresses and eye wear that obviously don't exist in real life. Hopefully more variations will be added with time.
    Art3mis
    edited November 2016
    CrashFu said:

Character creators in games have always left me disappointed in that respect. :( 

P.S.  Thanks for sharing all this, Mr. Wilde!   It's great having a member of the community who can fill us in on this stuff while we wait to get our hands on it.  In retrospect, I'm glad you didn't get frustrated and leave us back when you were having hardware/support/replacement issues. :wink:

In my experience the only developers who have ever left me truely satisfied with a character creator have been Asian. Save Funcom.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,365 Volunteer Moderator
    Mr.Wilde said:
    Zoomie said:
    I'm surprised nobody figured it out sooner. :#
    Well, it was pretty obvious when you posted your awesome Drossel model on reddit under that user name. :)

• Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    Oculus said that Rooms and Parties that will be meeting zones for your avatars, will bee be released on Gear VR first. Has anyone seen any news on how long after that we can expect it to released for Rift? Will there be any environment where avatars can be used from the get go?
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Mr.Wilde said:
    I don't know, but some people on Reddit have it even if they don't have Touch, so maybe it's random? I have no idea.

I've just got 1.10 but no avatar creator yet - unless it's somewhere I'm not looking? not in the desktop app or in Home (there is nothing above my name in Home)..

I do have the tutorial stuff and the (inactive) guardian option so not sure if I should have it - can someone who doesn't have touch yet but does have it pop up and say hello?
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    It's the same for me kzintzi, I think it was a red herring and Avatars is not linked to 1.10. I've not seen anyone else mention it either.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Heh I like the Matrix liquid mirror thing.

Nifty Tune.

Is the environment like an upstairs room of your Oculus Home pad?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,365 Volunteer Moderator
    Avatar is there, it's just not exposed yet in Home.
    Run the executable directly at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-avatar-editor\OVRAvatarEditor.exe

It runs fine without Touch, you can use the remote to do everything. But you will have a pair of hands floating ominously above your head. :)

• JED44JED44 Posts: 448 Poster of the Week
    edited November 2016
    Used it today with revive, its pretty damn neat. but for heaven's sake there is not a normal pair of glasses anywhere to be seen. I wish I could've gotten a screen shot but steam VR functions were disabled. 
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    JED44 said:
    Used it today with revive, its pretty damn neat. but for heaven's sake there is not a normal pair of glasses anywhere to be seen. I wish I could've gotten a screen shot but steam VR functions were disabled. 
    Didn't feel like using print screen instead? Or is that not the age old standard go-to anymore?