cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home is just completely broken all of a sudden.

Veraxus
Protege
So yesterday when I tried to play some games in VR, I was running into a problem where Oculus home launched as a solid black window. I could see a couple UI elements (which did nothing), but the window was otherwise just solid black. When I put the headset on it kept telling me that a settings update was needed and to use Oculus home. Well gee, thanks, that's super helpful!  😞

So I tried compatibility modes, running as admin... nothing worked. So I uninstalled Oculus, rebooted, and reinstalled. I got through the installer, which detected all my gear, and I was able to sign in, but then Oculus home crashed. Every time I try to start it Oculus home, it pops up for a second (I see the Oculus logo) and then it just vanishes like it's crashing. I rebooted again. Same thing. Disconnected all the hardware and tried again. Same thing.

So... what's going on here. Until now I was secure in knowing that Oculus had the higher quality VR offering... but right now I can't even use my Oculus because the software just keeps crashing. What gives?

Specs:
Core i7 4790K
GeForce 1080
ASRock Z87E Mini ITX
16GB RAM
500GB Samsung SSD
Windows 10
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you get us your logs?

Veraxus
Protege
Logs are attached.
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64

gengelstein
Explorer
I'm having exactly the same issue. It worked fine this morning (played Lucky's Tale) and now the app just keeps going into this reboot cycle. Shows the store on the PC monitor, then when I put the headset on it just keeps closing and reopening the Oculus app. Inside the headset I see the white/grey 'start' area without the health/safety warning, and then it goes black for 30 seconds then back to the white/grey start area.

gengelstein
Explorer
I'm running Oculus App version 1.9.0.291603 (1.9.0.292703). Not sure how to get my logs.

gengelstein
Explorer
Figured out how to get my logs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alright, can I both have you uninstall your current Nivida driver and download and install this one> 368.22

I'm seeing two issues with the OP. One seems to be driver related issue and the other seems to be network related session issue (simple restart the computer should fix that one or just make sure your time is set correctly).

@gengelstein
I'm seeing this weird DNS issue (it seems to be going around) -> "
Restarting request CompatLibData which FAILED: 6: Could not resolve host: www2.oculus.com"
Can you ping, go to www2.oculus.com, or change your DNS to see if it doesn't fix the issue? Maybe even do a little research and find a local DNS server?

gengelstein
Explorer
I was able to get things working - here's an update:

1. I tried to PING this morning - the ping went through fine.

The Rift was still having the same symptoms - grey screen, looping to a black reboot.

I checked my video drivers and I was actually already running 368.22.

I went onto NVidias site and updated to the latest drivers - 375.70.

After installing those drivers and rebooting the problem seems to have fixed itself.

Thanks for the quick reply - If I have any additional issues I will let you know.

RoadPig
Honored Guest
Same problem here. Just uninstalled oculus software. Reinstalling now. Let's see if it works...

my my next step will be to update nvidea drivers. 

(almost exact same system specs as original poster)

RoadPig
Honored Guest
No luck. 

Used oculus setup to repair numerous times. 
Used oculus setup to uninstall. 
Reinstalled all oculus software from oculus website. 

Upon reinstall I went through the setup procedure. Got to the point where it was about to have me create an account. Oculus Setup closed and it appeared to open the Oculus App... but black window again. 

No no matter what I do, I get the Update Settings required inside the rift, and a black window in the oculus desktop app with no UI, just like everyone above. (System time is correct, no other apps running, I am system admin)

Latest nvidea drivers. 375.95 (win 10 64bit - GTX 1080)

- win 10 pro (version 1607, OS Build 14393.477) 64 bit.
- fully updated windows
- intel i7-6950X
- ram. 128 GB
- Nvidea GTX 1080