New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

basic experiment viewing stereo images in VR with the Rift

ThaFreshThaFresh Posts: 24
edited November 2013 in Games and Apps
I have one of those Fuji 3d cameras and was interested in trying to view its stereoscopic pics in VR with the Rift.
I did a quick hack to away3d to add a plane that supports stereoscopic textures so each eye receives its over version of the pic and knocked up a quick gallery demo. It works surprisingly well. I expected I would have to alter the offset of each image based on how close the viewer was but no, it seems to work fine

Thought it might be of interest. I don't plan on doing much more with it for now
Also you may need to set your res manually to 1200x800 for best results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx16kgjpw0db1ta/GalleRift_standalone.7z

Comments

• baltarbaltar Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    All i get is a black window screen with a button that says 'FS'. Clicking gives me full black screen..??
  • if your rift is plugged in and facing down it may just be the view down, where theres nothing
  • baltarbaltar Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    my bad.. :D

really nice done! I will add my own Fuji 3D pictures.
  • cheers!

just make sure they're 1024x1024 as it currently does no checking before trying to load use them as textures
  • Also with Fujifilm W3 camera images - you can upload those directly to Phereo.com personal gallery, and get Oculus Rift viewer support directly in the browser.
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    I have a Sony HX10V photocamera and just realized it can take 3D pictures. The format is .MPO
    Besides uploading them to Phereo.com, is there an app/program which can also display them in the Rift?
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,052
    3Jane
    I use 3D Stereo Pair Maker and StereoPhotoViewer. Once you turn your images into a L/R pair (same name file w/ -L and -R suffix) you can put the folder of images in the images folder of SPV. Pair Maker automatically creates the file names for you if you select save as L/R stereo image.
    Once you access the folder w/ SPV you can center-click to scroll through the viewer formats (#2 is OVR) and scroll wheel to zoom. Definitely select 1920 x 1200 resolution to reduce aliasing for the best results!
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu