cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Setup "Can't Connect" Error troubleshooting

rainabba
Explorer
First, the issue is rarely a matter of connectivity. The setup app uses this message to indicate any pre-flight error. It CAN be connectivity (I've seen an SSL cert issue throw it), but to know for sure, open %userprofile%/AppData/Local/Oculus/OculusSetup.log

If you're here for support, please close the setup app, delete that file, try setup again, then post with that file attached (having only the one attempt at running Setup please). As specific errors can be matched with solutions (such as .net runtime issues, registry/file permissions, etc..) then they will be appended to this post as updates.

Other threads relating to this:

3 REPLIES 3

rainabba
Explorer
To kickstart things, here's my current OculusSetup.log The error shows as soon as I see the "Welcome to Rift" screen. No changes occur with "Let's Go" or "Agree" dialogs so the setup app knows of the issue immediately.

Regardless of the issue on my side, the log reports an uncaught exception which indicates something lacking in the installer and since it wasn't handled, it's a condition they weren't prepared for. I use a Windows software Raid 1 for my system drive (Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2's) and an Intel ICHR Raid 5 for another volume in my system. These haven't been an issue in the past though.

I just cleaned up all Oculus software in an attempt to reinstall and try to get around the "black screen" issue, which I have done once before (perhaps it was hardware failure though and I got lucky).

The logged warning indicates that both free space and isInternal conditions are being checked. I have ~100GB free on the volume so I wouldn't expect that to be the problem and using `wmic logicaldisk get caption,description,filesystem` in a cmd prompt, I can see that all disks are listed as "Local Fixed Disk" so that shouldn't be the issue either, but as a developer looking at this stack trace, it seems one of those is OR there's a but in how drives are being enumerated. To further troubleshoot that possibility, I removed all drive letter mappings in my system except C. Of course, the drives were still there so a low-level enumeration would still identify them and this might not matter.

Then it occurs to me! I set all my drives to be hot-swapable in the BIOS! I check the "Remove Devices Safely" menu in the Systray and sure enough, there are a handful of my "Internal Fixed Disks" showing as removable so I drop to the bios, disable hot-plug on them and try again.

No joy, same error even though I don't even have the "remove devices safely" menu now because they're all not-removable 😞

Stumped for now, but I'm highly confident this is just a bit of bad code in the installer. Anyone have a previous version of the OculusSetup (with Home, for CV1) handy?

[Warning] [2016-11-15 23:29:31] Exception when enumerating drives:
System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
   at Dawn.Win32.Kernel.IsInternal(DriveInfo driveInfo)
   at Dawn.InstallLocations.Scan(Int64 requiredSpace)

UPDATE: Based on how I got up and running again and information found along the way (full read here: https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/comment/455987/#Comment_455987 ), I'm going to say that this error indicates too little free space on the C drive, but the installer is too buggy or lazy to properly handle the error and report it. The OculusSetup.exe 1.6 (which will still install the latest version of Oculus Home) allowed me to continue using a different drive and so I was able to get up and running again.

Anyone else want to add their log and get this thread moving with more solutions?

rainabba
Explorer
Updated my previous post with more info and a workaround.

rainabba
Explorer
Couldn't get sensors working so I had to "repair". Finally got RoboRecall to show as "purchased", but then couldn't install so I tried a repair. That didn't help so I did a full uninstall and now I'm right back where I was with the latest OculusSetup.exe telling me it can't connect to the Oculus servers.

Really guys, how long will it take for you to fix the installer so I don't have to spend 3 days just trying to play the one game that I was excited about owning Touch for?

For all its issues over the years, Steam is looking rock solid these days compared to the issues I'm having with Oculus home and exclusive titles is about the only reason for the Rift anymore (and that's getting more pronounced by the week).