Doom 3 BFG Edition (RB + OpenVR) - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Doom 3 BFG Edition (RB + OpenVR)

Comments

• rommsccvrommsccv Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Looks like there is an updated version:

https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases
  • LeylandLeyland Posts: 77 Poster of the Week
    rommsccv said:
    Looks like there is an updated version:

https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases
    It has but the updates are not quite as big of a deal for Oculus Rift users.

But I'm hoping to have a release later today or early tomorrow that will have something that works with Touch better. I don't have Touch controllers yet, so I will be just "shooting in the dark" in terms of what will work well with Touch.

• rommsccvrommsccv Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Yeah the only reason I came across the update was because it is required in order to use the "Ultimate HD" mod. Works great too with Oculus VR.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-ultimate
  • Mane_VrMane_Vr Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    it would be nice to have a seated with vr controller where the right stick does a 45 degree snap turn but u aim with the control still move forward and back as well as strafe with the left. I think this would this game amazing for those of us who don't wish to stand but still want to use motion control. even keeping the turn as is with the right stick but aim using motion control would be amazing. this might be hard to do so I won't get my hopes but I hope whoever is working on this mode could give that a try. if it works this could help show the way to other dev to do the same and maybe we'll get more ports of fps plus make it easier for devs to make vr fps
  • Baz_uKBaz_uK Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    I'm a little confused what Doom 3 mod to use? there seems 3 in these fourms? I would like it with Touch. Is it just a matter of trying all 3 and seeing which one I personally prefer or do they all do something a little different? 
    edited December 2016
    Baz_uK said:
    I'm a little confused what Doom 3 mod to use? there seems 3 in these fourms? I would like it with Touch. Is it just a matter of trying all 3 and seeing which one I personally prefer or do they all do something a little different? 
    As far as I know, none of them work with the Touch correctly.

For my mod at https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases I know one person who has tried and the controls were not working for them. It appears that Oculus Touch is sending both motion controller input and gamepad input and it seems like both are interfering with each other. One possible solution I recommended was for them to try in the console:

in_useJoystick 0

Which disables gamepad input.

But I recommend waiting until I get my Touch and find out what is going on and release a build. But it is looking like this may take a while (I have not received a shipment email yet) :/

• baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis

Just thought I would let you know I have tested this with Touch today and the latest release (X) is working perfectly for me with a front facing setup.
    vr_seated 0
    vr_turning 1

Right stick does smooth turning (rather than snap). Motion controls working fine. The in_useJoystick change does not seem to be needed - it works on both settings.

Just perfect. Let me know if there is something else you need me to test here.

baggyg said:

Just thought I would let you know I have tested this with Touch today and the latest release (X) is working perfectly for me with a front facing setup.
    vr_seated 0
    vr_turning 1

Right stick does smooth turning (rather than snap). Motion controls working fine. The in_useJoystick change does not seem to be needed - it works on both settings.

You are awesome dude, I was really worried about that.

The smooth turning I believe is pretty aweful, compared to what it used to be because it used to go through Doom 3's joystick code which is tuned for thumb sticks, but I removed that for Vives touchpads, so I may need to revisit it.

Art3mis
    Leyland said:
    baggyg said:

vr_seated 0
    vr_turning 1

You are awesome dude, I was really worried about that.

The smooth turning I believe is pretty aweful, compared to what it used to be because it used to go through Doom 3's joystick code which is tuned for thumb sticks, but I removed that for Vives touchpads, so I may need to revisit it.

The only real issue with the turning is that it pivots from the center of your play area. Therefore if you take a few steps the the right then turn you get a skewed turn, which could make you quite sick. I have steam VR setup for "Standing Only". Not sure if this is relevant. That being said I had no issues at all with the turning after playing 30 mins. I have pretty good VR legs so smooth turning is better for me than snap turning. Using Dooms joystick code seems to be fine as the Touch obviously has similar joysticks as you would find on a Xbone controller. 

If anyone has issues happy to test out and help. Just send across your ini settings / steam VR setup and I will see if I can replicate and debug your settings to see what is wrong. Hopefully you get your Touch controllers soon. 

P.s. I would not recomment in_useJoyStick 0 unless absolutely necessary as this makes the menu a bit glitchy (with items not actually matching up properly - I.e. clicking on Dev menu opens Credits). 

Also, if like me you are having a blast with this please support this guys work on BountyHunter. Thanks Leyland / Codes4Fun
  • lenne0815lenne0815 Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    Smooth turning works here aswell, snap turning would be even better ;) Great work uve done here Leyland !
  • jrd3djrd3d Posts: 138
    Hiro Protagonist
    lenne0815 said:
    Smooth turning works here aswell, snap turning would be even better ;) Great work uve done here Leyland !
    Does no one else find the "snap" turning function on VR games to be too stiff and jarring?  I can't stand it.  I'll take smooth any day over it, even if it does make me feel a little bit queasy. It helps if I turn my head slightly in the direction and shift my eyes in the direction that I am about to turn with the analog stick as well.
    Art3mis
    jrd3d said:
    lenne0815 said:
    Does no one else find the "snap" turning function on VR games to be too stiff and jarring?  I can't stand it.  I'll take smooth any day over it, even if it does make me feel a little bit queasy. It helps if I turn my head slightly in the direction and shift my eyes in the direction that I am about to turn with the analog stick as well.
    I also prefer smooth, but if it easy an option to toggle to suit all people is best. Looking forward to third sensor so I can go 360 and spin around like a lunatic. 
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Me too - smooth every time - but the option to slow down the rate of turn if it isn't already moderated.

I haven't tried with Touch yet - so many things to try - I'll get on it over the weekend.

• CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    I am very interested to see where this is going. 

Ideally I would like the option to play seated so I would like to see the option to turn by using my head AND by using one of the thumbsticks. This would also be ideal for those who do not have the third sensor and have a front facing setup. 
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    playing with the touch. how do i jump? no buttons seem to do that
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    RABID said:
    playing with the touch. how do i jump? no buttons seem to do that
    Jump is the trigger on the left Touch controller. However you must be stood up for it to work as the mod calculates crouching by you physically crouching in the real world. 

P.s. Also make sure you have gone through the room setup on steam VR so it knows where your floor is.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,006 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    Hi

So 2 question..  and please i hope this is not offensive to anyone :) both you guys are fab!.

1) which is the easiest version of the mod to set up? (this one or Samson's) with oculus touch
    2) is anyone selling this for under £4.30 which is the cheapest i have found for the BFG edition :)

thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Art3mis
    Hi

So 2 question..  and please i hope this is not offensive to anyone :) both you guys are fab!.

1) which is the easiest version of the mod to set up? (this one or Samson's) with oculus touch
    2) is anyone selling this for under £4.30 which is the cheapest i have found for the BFG edition :)

thanks
    I haven't tried Samsons, but this one was really easy to set up:
    1. Install BFG from Steam
    2. Download latest release from https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases
    3. Copy contents to the base folder of the install
    4. Make sure you have run the steam VR room setup at least once (both standing and room scale work for touch depending how you have your room setup). 
    5. Run the executable in the folder (RBDoom3BFG.exe)
    6. Once In game bring down the console with the tilde key ~
    7. Type in vr_seated 0 / press enter
    8. Type in vr_turning 1 / press enter
    9. Everything should be up and running. 
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    baggyg said:

Aw man, you're breaking my heart :)  Give it a whirl and go toss some grenades like a boss!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,006 Valuable Player
    Well i bought it, installing now just need to add mod then :)

Will graphics mods work with either of them? Like this one

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-ultimate/images/delta-lab

Sorry for all the q's
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Art3mis

Sorry for all the q's
    I used this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5ffnoj/doom3bfg_vr_hd_texture_packs_all_in_oneultimatehd/

Chap combined all the packs into one and tested what works best
    Neo
    Samson said:
    baggyg said:

Aw man, you're breaking my heart :)  Give it a whirl and go toss some grenades like a boss!
    I just tried your mod, started fine. 
    it all seemed to work until the end of the briefing at the HQ and the game froze (oculus hourglass) 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Which version, OpenVR or Oculus? Do you mean the cutscene just after you get the PDA where they are talking in the office?  Not sure why it would freeze there, there is nothing really special about that transition.  By any chance did you start with a clean copy of the D3BFG directory, and remove any save games if using a previous version
    Neo
    I tried the other mod linked above, this one did not have the issue with the Oculus hourglass. 
    Played for a while but got stuck when I needed to crouch through a vent and no buttons would let me crouch :-(

Overall both seem like great work and make me want free movement FPS games even more now. 

Teleport just isn't cutting it for me.
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    baggyg said:

Sorry for all the q's
    I used this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5ffnoj/doom3bfg_vr_hd_texture_packs_all_in_oneultimatehd/

Chap combined all the packs into one and tested what works best
    This all in one pack throws out an Open GL gamma failed error when using Samson's Doom VR.
    Without it, Samson's loads.

EDIT: Samson has updated his mod and given instructions on how to use the all in one pack with it.
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Can someone explain to me why this type of mod can't be applied to EVERY FPS game, prefferably natively by the developers?

This is just an incredible experience on Rift using the Touch cotrollers, and I don't understand why this type of VR implementation can't be an option on all AAA FPS games?

Anyway, back to demon busting!

And what's the consensus on the best graphics mod to be using?  I'm running the one suggested in the reddit mod thread, but is this 'UlitmateHD mod' even better?
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
    Trinity
    If you are looking for smooth turning, I would highly recommend modeling your turning from Rec-Room. That is the best snap turning that I have used by far! If you haven't tried the turning in Rec-Room, I would suggest giving it a try.
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Maxxgold said:
    If you are looking for smooth turning, I would highly recommend modeling your turning from Rec-Room. That is the best snap turning that I have used by far! If you haven't tried the turning in Rec-Room, I would suggest giving it a try.
    Onward's system is the best I have tried so far. Where you aim your body dictates where you are travelling to, and then you move with the joystick as normal. Meanwhile your headtracking is your view and is decoupled from any other movement. I even find myself taking small steps and walking in place while playing it because I am in such control.
    Maxxgold said:
    Thanks I'll check it out :smile:

HoIIywood said:
    Onward's system is the best I have tried so far. Where you aim your body dictates where you are travelling to, and then you move with the joystick as normal. Meanwhile your headtracking is your view and is decoupled from any other movement. I even find myself taking small steps and walking in place while playing it because I am in such control.
    I have a mode like that, and one that lets you use your right hand direction also, but that is coming in the next release. I'm hoping to polish things for Touch, when it arrives...

Trying that mode I really didn't notice much difference either. Usually as I walk forward, I like to look left or right around corners in cubicles as I pass them, and I thought this would disrupt my direction (my head turning would change my desired move direction), but I found myself adjusting kind of automatically to strafing (without thinking about it), it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to keep my general movement direction. So it is a good option to have, plus there are times I would like to use the flashlight when looking around also.