vrideo.com terminated — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

vrideo.com terminated

zproxyzproxy Posts: 245
Art3mis
edited November 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
We’re sad to announce that Vrideo is shutting down as of today.  We’re incredibly proud of what our team has achieved since launching our platform in beta in March 2015
Tagged:

Comments

• Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    Wow, that's sad, hate to see anyone have to shut up shop. I guess it's getting a tough world out there. Hope everyone in the team manages to quickly move on to new ventures.
  • zproxyzproxy Posts: 245
    Art3mis
    it also highlights, why we need offline solutions. the oculus home always online demand is as scary and subject to shutdowns too
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,753 Valuable Player
    edited November 2016

Yeah, that's a shame, there were a few great vids on there and the ability to download rather than stream was a real boon when streaming speeds were less than stellar.

I guess we'll eventually end up with a dominant streaming app... but until then, we have a number of apps competing for a pretty small market

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,134
    Wintermute
    It's kind of a shame, but I never got it to work properly. I ended up with a choice of low-res that sustained a decent frame rate, or high-res that stuttered like hell. The 'download' option never worked.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,934 Valuable Player
    Thane_ said:
    Why not just sell it to keep it going?
    Probably because there are competitors with a slightly better working product? I'm not discounting the value of VRIDEO, I liked them. But for someone else to buy it, there has to be a niche. I'm not exactly what their niche was, other than maybe the option to Save a file locally. But that's not really a competitive edge.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis

That's too bad...I also enjoyed Vrideo. Having the option to download a video before I watched it had really helped me out, before I upgraded my internet speed.

Hopefully their team can come up with something else in the future.

• zproxyzproxy Posts: 245
    Art3mis
    now the question is - if a 2M app developer cant make it on GearVR, are there examples who can?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,934 Valuable Player
    YouTube already has a 360/VR channel that anyone can watch with any HMD. JAUNT is still around as well, along with Oculus 360 Video.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    Anybody figure out where the videos that were downloaded are saved to? I tried looking in Oculus folder the other night, but couldn't find them. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,753 Valuable Player
    edited November 2016

@AQfumes, thanks to @Mascaren who found the movie file location (see https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35744/vrideo-where-to-put-my-own-videos ). The videos I downloaded are still there.

They're packed up as zip files but unfortunately I think that may be a false extension as they won't open. Renaming them to any other kind of archive or giving them any movie extension doesn't work either !

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • GogglesNZGogglesNZ Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    thank you for answering my question.
    Good wishes to the developer team, it was a great app
  • GogglesNZGogglesNZ Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Thank you.  Great app.  Best wishes to the developer team.
  • chip120chip120 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    vringin is a great app on gear vr and I believe it is coming to the rift in the near future
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    oh,, late to the party.

Jaunt looked so good when it worked )-:
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    I was wondering what the hell happened to it. I liked and sorry they didn't make it.