DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 19 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    Mace404 said:
    You are punishing the wrong group of people.
    No, I'm really not. As you just demonstrated.
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    Rofl, then pretends he's rational and attempts to justify his irrational choices.
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    edited January 2017
    If 2EyeGuy doesn't want to do some coding for whatever reason, then surely that's his business? I'd have thought that no-one is entitled to benefit from the skills and knowledge he's acquired except himself.

If he mods for his own satisfaction instead of as a salaried job, then he gets to mod what he wants, the way he wants, for whatever reason he wants. [edit] Just like Samson. [/edit]

Any of us who want different things modded... well, there's plenty of resources for learning coding available. I'd like full Touch support in Skyrim. If I want it badly enough, I'll have to figure it out for myself. It's not like anybody owes it to me.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    i see nothing wrong with offering him a donation to do it. his time is as valuable as anyone elses and i would have no problem paying to be able to experience some of my favorite games in VR with touch controls. it would be like buying him a steak dinner as a thank you. if you can make it happen for Quake/Quake 2/classic Doom i would definately kick in
    Wintermute
    The reason does matter, as he was being political on reddit got banned and decided to purposefully spite unaware unaffiliated users because that was the only thing he could think of and demanded we go and plea for him to get unbanned and only then would he give us his glorified code.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/468944/#Comment_468944
    2eyeguy said:

I just got banned from the Oculus subreddit for pointing out that Palmer Luckey probably isn't Alt-Right.

Which means... I will not be adding Oculus Touch support to Dolphin VR (or anything else) when I eventually receive my Oculus Touch.

If you want Oculus Touch support, here are my demands:
    • Expose the moderators responsible for banning me and suspending me, and permanently ban them from any moderating role in the future.
    • Unban me, and grant me immunity from future suspensions and bans.

OR

• Oculus can reinstate Palmer Luckey to his former position, with full apology and admission of wrongdoing from those responsible for violating his (and our) democratic rights.

HTC Vive controller support will of course continue.

Wintermute
    RABID said:
    i see nothing wrong with offering him a donation to do it. his time is as valuable as anyone elses and i would have no problem paying to be able to experience some of my favorite games in VR with touch controls. it would be like buying him a steak dinner as a thank you. if you can make it happen for Quake/Quake 2/classic Doom i would definately kick in
    That would be the case if he wasn't maliciously rubbing it in our faces that free support will continue for the vive, and only because he's unhappy about something unrelated to it all.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    @2EyeGuy, the offer is there. its now up to you
    Trinity
    edited January 2017
    OpticKing said:
    The reason does matter, as he was being political on reddit got banned and decided to purposefully spite unaware unaffiliated users because that was the only thing he could think of and demanded we go and plea for him to get unbanned and only then would he give us his glorified code.

[snip]
    If I want someone to do some work for me, and they name a price for the work which I think is outrageous, then I don't pay - and I either go without or look for someone else to do the work. What I don't do is assume that they have a duty to do the work at the price I name.

The point is, modding is work. If a modder wants to work for free, for the sheer satisfaction (and maybe ego-stroking from grateful recipients) then that's fine. If they'll only work for a price, then they get to name the price. Doesn't matter if it's a realistic or reasonable price, mods are frivolous entertainment, not essential services.

[edit]
    At least, that's the way I see market forces as working, and it seems to me that once someone has named a price (or a condition of work) then it's a market.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player

let's not derail this thread please people.

@Samson, your work is awesome

@2EyeGuy, thanks for your contributions :)

Let's leave anything else not relating to this mod out of it

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Trinity
    My apologies.

@Samson, I was still wondering what the state of the VR settings menus in-game is. Are they working now, or only to be used for a few specific settings like the crouch control?
    Wintermute
    edited January 2017
    AndyW1384 said:
    If I want someone to do some work for me, and they name a price for the work which I think is outrageous, then I don't pay - and I either go without or look for someone else to do the work. What I don't do is assume that they have a duty to do the work at the price I name.

The point is, modding is work. If a modder wants to work for free, for the sheer satisfaction (and maybe ego-stroking from grateful recipients) then that's fine. If they'll only work for a price, then they get to name the price. Doesn't matter if it's a realistic or reasonable price, mods are frivolous entertainment, not essential services.

[edit]
    At least, that's the way I see market forces as working, and it seems to me that once someone has named a price (or a condition of work) then it's a market.
    I'm not discrediting the amount of time or effort modding takes, nor the right that modders should be able to put a price on their own mods. I'm calling him out for attempting to use the work he's giving out for free to others, as leverage with a ridiculous and impossible demand mocking innocent users because he didn't get his way. When someone uses their code as a punishment against other innocent users because they got a punished in another location, does this not strike you as something that should not be tolerated? Fans of his work asked nicely for a little support and he slaps them in the face with a "I was gonna but then I remembered I got a spanking, but maybe I'll add it for other people just not you, so nyeh nyeh" It's a hissy fit plain and simple.

Samson has done a great job here, and 2eyeguy did do great work with the vr emulators and some other stuff, regardless of his questionable personal choices. From what I've seen Samson's not the kind of person that would let personal unrelated issues force his hand to attack his fans. To be clear here I was a huge fan of 2eyeguy's work before he pulled this stunt. Maybe that's where some of the hostility comes from, like meeting a celebrity you think is awesome but they turn out to be a douche in real life.

I'll try not say anything further as it wasn't my point to derail the thread, but when this kind of behavior is presented out of a full grown adult, I have to point it out.

Back onto the topic, there's actually some error I came across and got kicked into the main menu with console up. It was after activating a computer terminal, I'll see if I can replicate it shortly. And maybe write down the error and see if it's been solved in the thread already.

• Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    If you can make it so OpticKing can't use your work, that would be awesome. No matter what happens. Doesn't matter the reason, if you feel this way, you feel this way for reasons known to you. Hate people complaining about free programming. Reminds me of when my dev team, who spend 6 years making their Doom 3 mod in their free time, some spending all of it on making it, only to be scolded by a couple people for not hurrying up. We had auto patching, map previewing and auto map downloading, years worth of asset creation, we wanted to release it ASAP, we even crunched, etc, but.....*hurry up jerks!* :)
    Wintermute
    It's not the same situation at all @Thane_ He's talking about never coding any oculus touch support for anyone ever, because he was banned on a different website. It's not that he's a jerk for not wanting to make a mod, he's a jerk for spitting in the face of the fan who politely asked for some support.
    macready1979 said:
    @2EyeGuy Could you add touch support for Quake 1 and Quake II ?:D

http://phoboslab.org/log/2016/05/quake-for-oculus-rift
    The here's the douche-bag response spitting in his face.
    I thought "OK", and was just about to start doing that... then I remembered I'm boycotting adding Oculus Touch support to things until either the mods from /r/Oculus unban me, or Oculus reinstate Palmer Luckey and apologise. Maybe I can add HTC Vive support though.

If he ever does (fat chance as he's already made it known where he stands, regardless of how embarrassing his choice is) make a touch mod for quake (or anything else) I will refuse to use it, don't worry. People who shit on others because they didn't get their spoiled little way, grind my gears and I'll not pander to it, regardless of the fact that we're short on talented devs interested in this field. I've already said I'm not downplaying the effort that goes into mods, it's wonderful amazing stuff that's truly greatly appreciated. It's him using his ability to mod as a weapon to attack his innocent fans, and everyone's ignoring it and sucking up all for the hopes that he might decide to do what he already obstinately claimed he would not do. Am I really the bad guy here? No one else see's his behavior as wrong? The only reactions to what he said in the dolphinvr thread was disbelief that he would spite us unjustifiably with those irrational demands.
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    @ Optiking, Thats not a douchebag response. Maybe English isn't your first language? Hes just casually making the point along with maybe some sarcasm? The sarcasm isn't aimed at the guy with the request. Re-reading it it doesn't even sound like sarcasm. Hes just explaining his feelings.

I know i got banned for "spamming" from HardOPC a few years back for posting a polite petition about encouraging the industry to push, as a whole, towards using higher resolution textures since they usually have almost no performance impact, look better and ram was becoming super-cheap. I offered many benchmarks showing such, along with my reasoning. I politely argued against the guys who said the sky might fall it this were done. I was fucking pissed and said FUCK IT THEN. Here you are disregarding 2EyeGuys OBVIOUS feelings about his situation. He doesn't want to support Oculus. There are things bigger than Oculus, such as the future of VR.
    Wintermute
    So much for no more off topic posts.

You're questioning my grasp of the language after reading my posts? I think you need to re-reread. English actually is my first language, and it's quite easy to read in between the lines and see the childish behavior of a kid lashing out at innocent people. Not sure how someone could read his posts/quotes here and be convinced that his reasons are justifiable and somehow his taunts are really just an explanation. Using a previous ban where you were not at fault in the least, has nothing to do with this, and can't be used to cite as an example. He was being ludicrous and throwing politics around to get his ban, so he attacks other helpless/innocent users, and you expect me to show him respect while he's pissing on our heads? Yes, I'm disregarding his feelings as he's OBVIOUSLY done so with ours. It's not about him wanting to "support oculus" it's about him not getting his way so he mocks others who supported oculus, ie. the innocent user he spat on.

Since it's obvious you're not going to agree, and will defend him for some reason. Let's simply agree to disagree so we don't continue to de-rail this thread, as it's obvious we're not going to convince the other of anything at this point. I think it's pretty sad that his behavior it not only tolerated, but now defended as well. I for one don't appreciate the position he's put us in at all, and will not be using his mods any further.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    AndyW1384 said:
    My apologies.

@Samson, I was still wondering what the state of the VR settings menus in-game is. Are they working now, or only to be used for a few specific settings like the crouch control?
    The VR menus should be ok to use. If you find an issue, let us know.  ( there were some small issues that have been fixed in the next release, but they shouldn't be game breaking)
    Well said @Samson ;
    On the subject of technical support, do you have the issue where doom won't close if you use oculus home to close it?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    OpticKing said:
    Rofl, then pretends he's rational and attempts to justify his irrational choices.
    its a free country. The guy gives up his free time to do stuff that he wants. Am I dissapointed he is doing this? sure I am, but he is well within his right and he should be commended for the stuff he does do for the community, not lambasted for what he doesnt do.

hell, if I was getting grief off the community and it was me doing this stuff, it would be as likely to tempt me to say to hell with the lot of you and keep my work all to myself, rather than decide to support something i had previously decided to boycott.

Again, not saying I agree with him, but its him doing the community a solid, not the other way around.

That said, his wishes are not going to happen either
    #
    @samson sorry mate, wont comment on this agian, just saw your post
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited January 2017
    damn double post
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    @bigmike20vt What has this to do with Doom 3 ????
    edited January 2017
    @bigmike20vt What has this to do with Doom 3 ????
    about the same amount as the people slagging off a contributor to the doom mod (or trying to bribe him with money). but going on you choosing to lambast me, then it is ok to derail a thread by insulting one of the modders but not to defend him?.

PS i already apologised to samson for my post, so really... reel it in.... i wont comment on this again but felt i had to defend myself.
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    bigmike20vt im sorry
    To bring us back on track...

• SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    elboffor said:
    Well said @Samson ;
    On the subject of technical support, do you have the issue where doom won't close if you use oculus home to close it?
    Yep, and this has been fixed in the upcoming release.  Hopefully won't be too much longer!
    Trinity
    Samson said:
    AndyW1384 said:
    My apologies.

The VR menus should be ok to use. If you find an issue, let us know.  ( there were some small issues that have been fixed in the next release, but they shouldn't be game breaking)
    Awesome, thanks :smiley:!

As you may have noticed in my first post when I asked this, the readme is (as of current version) still warning not to use the menus and only use cvars. Might avoid some user puzzlement if you can find the time to fix this - no big deal, though :)
    Samson said:
    elboffor said:
    Well said @Samson ;
    Yep, and this has been fixed in the upcoming release.  Hopefully won't be too much longer!
    That's amazeballs!
    It just means I can use my shortcuts fully without any need to exit the rift.

Out of interest, how hard would it be to make a game/App and submit it to oculus home?
    I've got an idea for a vr game you should make.

Your game should be called "Doom 3 BFG VR mod by Samson".
    The game/app is a vr settings generator that you can use to set up your mod. One of these settings could be for it to launch your doom mod instead of the settings ;)