DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 20 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Samson said:
    Guys, 

I would appreciate it a great deal if we could keep posts on this thread relevant to issues/questions regarding this mod.  There's a whole internet out there where vigorous discussions can be held   -  lets try to dedicate this one little spot to technical issues - thanks!  
    sorry, and thank you for this awesome mod :smile:
  • NijNij Posts: 305
    Nexus 6
    This has gotta be one of the most amazing experiences I've had so far!, I was extremely impressed with the first mod but this is on a whole new level, hats off to @Samson

I've had no issues running this at all on my 980 up until last night that is, I had just completed a level and was watching the loading screen for alpha labs sector 1 when to my absolute despair, it crashed and went back to the main menu with the config window showing various messages, I don't know how to take a screenshot of my rift screen or view any error logs but I've attached a screenshot from my monitor but not sure if it will be very clear, will prob need to click on the PNG

Really hope someone can help, I don't want to start from scratch and will be gutted if I can't carry on playing, I'm not running steam by the way, just launching straight from the 'exe'

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    If you have the texture pack you need to browse the Doom 3 BFG file and go into the base folder and delete the generated file. That happened to me and after deleting that it worked again.
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited January 2017
    To be clear, are you talking about deleting the entire folder named generated? There's also a batch file named _remove generated files, so we ignore this file and delete the "generated" directory? Or is there a single file not named generated that it's generating that needs to be removed?

This is the same error I was getting and was going to try to replicate later.
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    I just deleted the entire folder named 'generated' in the folder 'base' as per Samsons instruction to this known issue. My mistake should have been more clear.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Nij said:
     I had just completed a level and was watching the loading screen for alpha labs sector 1 when to my absolute despair, it crashed and went back to the main menu with the config window showing various messages,
    This sounds like a known issue with using the texture pack.  As posted above, just delete the folder named 'generated' in the 'base' directory of your game installation and you should be good to go.

• NijNij Posts: 305
    Nexus 6
    Nice one guys, I'll try this tonight! 
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    elboffor said:
    Samson said:
    elboffor said:
    Well said @Samson ;
    On the subject of technical support, do you have the issue where doom won't close if you use oculus home to close it?
    Yep, and this has been fixed in the upcoming release.  Hopefully won't be too much longer!
    That's amazeballs!
    It just means I can use my shortcuts fully without any need to exit the rift.

Out of interest, how hard would it be to make a game/App and submit it to oculus home?
    I've got an idea for a vr game you should make.

Your game should be called "Doom 3 BFG VR mod by Samson".
    The game/app is a vr settings generator that you can use to set up your mod. One of these settings could be for it to launch your doom mod instead of the settings ;)
    Having made similar requests for Gear VR the chances for this are pretty much zero. However you can "replace" another app with a direct link to the executable. I have a similar thing for launching SteamVR from home and it works a treat. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    yes I'm very aware of the process for that (see here - https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47959/) but it would be nice for doom 3 to say doom 3 is all
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi
    This most be asked before but when im trying to load a saved game, it brings me back to the menu screen :s
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 241
    Nexus 6
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but I just got this up and running following the video by F4cePa1m on youtube. However, There is no sound? The sound plays through my speakers and wont go through the rift, even when I force windows to make the rift the default audio output device?  What am I doing wrong?
    Art3mis
    JeremyC85 said:
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but I just got this up and running following the video by F4cePa1m on youtube. However, There is no sound? The sound plays through my speakers and wont go through the rift, even when I force windows to make the rift the default audio output device?  What am I doing wrong?
    From the console ( press ~ to bring up the console when in the game ) type vr_forceOculusAudio 1 and press enter.
    Then restart the game.

If that doesn't work, make sure the ridt headphones are set to be the window default.  The launch the game and from the console type vr_forceOculusAudio 0 and press enter, then restart the game.

vr_forceOculusAudio 1 makes OpenAL search for and try to use the rift headphones.

vr_forceOculusAudio 0 tells OpenAL to use the windows default audio device.

Art3mis
    Hi
    This most be asked before but when im trying to load a saved game, it brings me back to the menu screen :s
    Every issue like this I have seen so far seems to be related to installing the texture pack.

A few things: save games from vanilla doom 3 will cause this issue, and save games played with the texture pack installed are not compatible with save games from when the texture pack is not installed, and vice versa.

The correct install procedure for the texture pack is to extract the texture pack into your doom 3 directory.  You should see this create a bunch of new directories under 'base' in your doom 3 directory.  Now extract the vr mod into the doom directory, overwriting files if prompted.  Now in the 'base' directory, delete the folders named 'generated' and 'script'.  Now rename the folder 'all_in_one_script' to 'script' and you should be good.  You may need to delete the save game directory , which is under user / saved Games / id Software.

When it comes back to the main menu when loading a game, scroll the text up with the cursor up key or the mouse wheel and look for an error ( will say the word error )

Art3mis
    @Samson what kind of updates will you be making coming up? bug fixes or any new features in the pipe?
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    Hi
    Does the texture pack really add much to the eye candy? My internet is slow as hell at home and left my mem stick where i downloaded it at work?.

I wanted to start again this weekend with the new mod but as the save is not compatible with the texture pack if i start....,.......

Thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Art3mis
    SuperTuck said:
    @Samson what kind of updates will you be making coming up? bug fixes or any new features in the pipe?
    There are some pretty cool changes coming up in the next version.

2EyeGuy is doing some fantastic work, and integrated some really cool features like voice commands and teleportation.  In the update you will be able to use the mic in your headset to implement in game actions, like changing weapons or reloading or talking to NPCs.   Have the pistol in you hand but need the shotgun?  Don't cycle thru the weapons , just say 'shotgun'   Teleportation - It may not be perfect yet, right now it's still possible to teleport past in game triggers, but it's a HUGE step.  He also added a bunch of comfort options, and elminated the funky loading screens when using the Oculus API.

The Oculus and OpenVR versions have been merged, so one .exe will let you use whichever API you wish.

A lot of internal bug fixes, and additional options in the VR menus to tailor the game.  We have a nice list of things we want to change, but need to get all the current features tested and stable first.

Just to prepare you guys - to avoid any conflicts with the vanilla game or any other D3BFG mods, I've changed the mod to work out of an actual mod directory, so all the assets will now be stored together in one sub directory. You will need to change the install just a bit.  The name of the save game directory is changing as well - your old saves will still be compatible, you will just need to copy them to the new directory.  Because of the way the Oculus and OpenVr versions were merged, there are now unique config files for each API.  Because of this, at first run, your existing control bindings won't be there, but you will be able to run one command  in the console to restore them from your previous config.  I will make sure to write very clear instructions, and this will be the last time you will need to make changes like this.

There have been a lot of bug fixes, but if there are specific issues you would like to see addressed post them here and I'll try to get them in if they haven't already been fixed.

Art3mis
    Hi
    Does the texture pack really add much to the eye candy? My internet is slow as hell at home and left my mem stick where i downloaded it at work?.

I wanted to start again this weekend with the new mod but as the save is not compatible with the texture pack if i start....,.......

Thanks
    Everyone has their own opinion, but to be honest I'm not a fan of that particular texture pack and play without it.  There are some other texture packs which really only update the textures, I may look at bundling one together in the future.

• SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    As far as I know, there exists only one set of high res environment textures for Doom 3 (which is definitely worth it, imo).
    That one pack from the setup guide on Reddit includes the whole "Doom 3 High Def mod" which also adds gameplay changes which I wouldn't recommend either.

Can't wait for the next update. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    exciting times!
    i look forward to this quite a lot :)
    any chance of a Doom3 VR multiplayer????
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks @Samson

Art3mis
    Thanks @Samson

Were you able to resolve the issue?

Hiro Protagonist
    @Samson Yes it worked! Thanks!
    Syndroid said:
    As far as I know, there exists only one set of high res environment textures for Doom 3 (which is definitely worth it, imo).
    That one pack from the setup guide on Reddit includes the whole "Doom 3 High Def mod" which also adds gameplay changes which I wouldn't recommend either.

Can't wait for the next update. 
    Not sure which i have. Do you have a link to the good one please?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons 
    Download the first 3 files. Open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"
    Art3mis
    ive noticed with the texture packs there are still a lot of low res stuff that was never done. is there a more complete one out there?
    Art3mis
    Samson said:
    Hi

Thanks
    Everyone has their own opinion, but to be honest I'm not a fan of that particular texture pack and play without it.  There are some other texture packs which really only update the textures, I may look at bundling one together in the future.

have you seen this one?

• Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    The modding scene for D3 was pretty skyrim'esqe a long time ago. If i were you guys, i'd be googling the heck out of "Doom 3 mods". It was active all the way to 2010, when i was working on another D3 mod. I don't own a Rift yet so i haven't tried, but i'd bet you might find some gems. Probably a good idea to make a backup of the D3 directory before changing things.

I always wanted to make a realism/survival mod for D3, with realistic movement and the player needing to sleep, eat food, sometimes make himself warm and figure out how to get oxygen into certain chambers, scavenge for ammo, only carry two guns, but make those guns feel much MUCH more powerful with increased recoiled and louder sfx like in project reality, but balance that out with increased monster damage, making them and the environment much more dangerous but still easily navigable with the right amount of caution. Heck, if you could stream the levels as one big one, you could make a DayZ Doom 3 spinoff. How cool would that be. I'd play the heck out of that.
    edited January 2017
    Syndroid said:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons 
    Download the first 3 files. Open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"
    Thanks and this wont change the game balance at all? Downloading now it may take some time

So do i ignore the instructions on that site and just copy the texture folders then?
  • aardvarkaardvark Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 2017
    Hey Folks,
    nice work on that mod..  the time I have spent has been terrific.
    I am experiencing periodic freezes, or hangs, as I play the game.  it usually occurs at about the same place.
    (I'm close to the beginning,  have the shotgun,  and have just discovered the survivor dude injured at the top of the ladder,  before the round of duct crawling.)
    the hourglass comes up,  and the game hangs there forever.
    I have seen on this forum others post with this issue,  but I haven't seen it addressed yet. 
    please halp.. I'd love some more..  but at this stage I am stalled.

I have removed the 'generated' folder in base, and let it regenerate..  it got me a little further, but not much.

additionally the left touch menu button hangs the game now.   it didn't used to when I began.

win10 64
    gtx980

chairs!
    -vark

btw, here is where I am at when it crashes.  open locker,  ladder leads to survivor.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Yes I think that happened to me as well, mine was during the vent crawling. I had to literally get down to the floor to get through it as by default the duck is variable height.