DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 21 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• aardvarkaardvark Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    still,  that doesn't help me.  I can't progress further due to the hangs..   the pretty hourglass does not go away.
    restart doesn't help,  freezes at the same point.
    Samson?

• Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
    edited January 2017
    O.o
    Samson said:
    Thanks @Samson

Were you able to resolve the issue?

So what is the most recent mod add-on for BFG that gets the best gameplay with touch controllers and textures?  There seem to be a lot of updates that is why i ask and I saw a guy on youtube w/ links as well though not sure about his. Also does this work In Oculus w/o Steam VR having to be open? Do you know if there is a better mod for D4 VR than using Vorpx?
    Is this how to set BFG VR w/ touch correctly?? I mean he names you Samson so I just wanted to see...I am a visual learner so it would be easier to just watch a video (if correct) and do it than roam around 21 pages of forums...for me at least.

Well it seems the links this guy has are not the same anymore...it would be easier to have just 2 or 3 files to download and move but the link has like 6....Can someone post more current info on how to make this work or am I just supposed to replace each of these w/ the ones in the BFG version?  It annoys me that they insist you make an acct to download the crap or say it will take 6+ hrs to do a small file....
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    @Sinstalker21

First, make a clean install..(delete everything from the game folder, then use the repair function in Steam)
    Download the main mod file Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip
    and extract it to the game folder.

For high res texures, don't use the mod pack from the video. Download these 3 files instead:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-1
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-2
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-roe-patch
    Extract the zip files and open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to 
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"

• NijNij Posts: 305
    Nexus 6
    Hi @Syndroid

I got my texture pack from the reddit post

https://en-us.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hww0r/doom_3_bfg_vr_oculus_touch_guide/

Am thinking now this might not be one of the better ones, u reckon the ones above are the best ones and if I wanted to use them now, would I need to do a clean install of doom 3 or would I be able to just extract the above files.  I did make a backup of my doom 3 folder but I don't wanna mess it up and have to start the game again as I'm pretty far, cheers

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    @Nij
    Yeah, that "texture pack" from the guide is actually a full mod for the 2D version.
    It contains gameplay changes (faster and stronger monsters etc..) and also gives you a worse framerate because of some unnecessary graphic changes. The 3 files I linked above contain just the texures.

I don't know if removing the full mod will mess up the savefile, but you could use the dev menu and select the map from your last savegame. 

In your case, I would delete everything from the current "base" folder (except the texture folder) and put it in a zip file which you can extract later in order to recover the current install state.
    Note, the texture files you currently have in your base folder, should be the same ones which I linked above, so you might don't need to download them.

If you deleted everything except the textures, download the samons mod again to update the "base" folder with it.

Hope that works :D 

However, if you like/prefer the current modded version with faster enemys and all, you should play it this way of course ^^

• NijNij Posts: 305
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    @Syndroid
    Cheers
    So am I probably already using the same textures as the links above but also using the full game mod and by deleting everything in the base folder bar the texture sub folder, I'll still have the same textures but not the full mod and prob get a better framerate

Seems to be running smoothly enough tho, so dunno whether to just carry on playing, just finished another session on it now, jeez it's intense!!
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • PablitoPablito Posts: 361
    Trinity
    Even with motion control support, can it still be played with an xbox gamepad in vr?
    Pablito said:
    Even with motion control support, can it still be played with an xbox gamepad in vr?
    Your supposed to be able to, yes.
    @Syndroid Ty....yeah i didnt do the texture mods and tried running it w/ the main mod and it was just blank. Even my oculus wasn't working so I tried using the master mod version and still nothing.  I had tried doing it like in the video but that wasn't acting right either so before i went to work tonight I uninstalled and reinstalled BFG and will try again tomorrow afternoon when I get up.  

I assume I just let the mods do write-overs for all if the mod.  Do I need to delete any folders 1st?  Some ppl say you need to delete the script and base folders but some say to just let it copy over.  Maybe that was my issue? Having so many sources saying to do diff. things?
  • PablitoPablito Posts: 361
    Trinity
    Ok, thanx Sinstalker21
    edited January 2017
    This is soo annoying.. Why cant anything just be simple?  Apparently I was having issues and had to restart my PC since it kept saying Doom3 was open..somewhere.  So this was the only way I could figure out how to fix that issue...wish I would have thought to do that before I deleted crap :-(

I did get it working right though...ty guys for the help :smile:
    edited January 2017
    Awesome now all my oculus games/apps are uninstalled and it will not let me install them......figures.:'(

update: had to reinstall my oculus and re-download 3 pages of games and apps.
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I just added a Flicksync game mode, like in Ready Player One, for those who can recite some of the cutscenes by heart. You can choose one of the characters, then you will be them in all their cutscenes, and you have to say all their lines, and get marked on whether you get them right. It's still a work in progress, but it's playable.

Pablito said:
    In theory, but I haven't tested it. I don't think the Oculus Remote is supported yet though.
    Samson said:

Teleportation - It may not be perfect yet, right now it's still possible to teleport past in game triggers, but it's a HUGE step.  He also added a bunch of comfort options, and elminated the funky loading screens when using the Oculus API.

I fixed it so it's no longer possible to teleport past in-game triggers. Actually, you can teleport past them, but they now get triggered when you do. The teleportation is close to perfect now. Unfortunately, you can teleport through some locked doors if you try to cheat, and in a couple of cases possibly by accident. And there are still a couple of places where you have to walk (mostly getting into or out of an elevator) or jump, But it's 99% fully playable with only teleportation for locomotion.

It's now possible to eliminate all mismatched vection (even without teleporting), except for the main menu screen (no position tracking yet), a screen shake in the intro cutscene ("Darkstar on final"), or if you move REALLY slowly, or play the Flicksync. I tested this on someone who gets motion sick, and they were able to play through a couple of levels without any motion sickness (but they stopped when it got scary). So no excuses anymore for people to not play this.

The loading screens are still a little bit funky in some ways, but they're mostly fixed.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Wow, great work!

I've been out of it for the better part of a week - had a stomach bug tear through the whole family ( of course starting with me) , kids are finally on the mend.

I'm almost done with the teleport targeting.  I'm not much of an artist, but now there's a visual target on the ground and a parabolic ( well, not really parabolic ) aiming beam.  Pretty much the standard teleport mechanic, just with my unique artistic, um, we'll call it flair. 

Can wait to get this bundled for release!
  • lenne0815lenne0815 Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    Me neither ! Great work u 2 !
  • SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Expect it out soon?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,906 Valuable Player
    Samson said:
    I've been out of it for the better part of a week - had a stomach bug tear through the whole family ( of course starting with me) , kids are finally on the mend.
    Damn - same here! Youngest daughter still struggling a bit though.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • OakshiosOakshios Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I tried looking... admittedly not really hard, but did go through the issues on github and some of the pages here.  I have this error/bug where my gun gets un-equipped periodically.  Is this a known issue?

As a note.  I do not have any mods besides this one installed.
  • KianoniKianoni Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    holy cow. Just tried this in VR (for a couple of hours) and mind blown. Best experience so far since completing Arizona Sunshine campain. Really well done locomotion - I find the most comfortable to have the movement locked to my feet and standing still, while turning with the right stick.
    I'm actually very glad I have never played Doom 3 before as now I can experience it as being there.
    Might be the most underappreciated game of the series, but in VR it's better than most games made for VR
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    id Software should hire OP for DOOM (2016) port to VR.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    kevink808 said:
    id Software should hire OP for DOOM (2016) port to VR.
    Yeah, then they would be able to make a vive only Port lol
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. Thank you for all the hard work making this happen. It is my favorite VR game so far.
  • GoogolkhanGoogolkhan Posts: 5
    NerveGear

Problem: NPC Voice Sounds missing

Hi Samson,
    I installed the texture pack and the OculusNativeAlpha from github.
    I have sound but no npc voice at all?! They seem to talk... but I don't hear them. Gunfire, music, sound effects are just fine, except the voice.
    Any idea how to fix this?

by the Way:

Thats awesome work!

Thank you so much!

• SandpusherSandpusher Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Haha, just read through the whole thread, impressive work by Samson! Was going to give it a go, and then luckily watched the YT clip posted. I mean I could do it, but I would want to boost my life insurance and direct the proceeds to my favourite charity first. How anyone can even think of playing this in VR is beyond me :)
    Oh well, we are all differently wired, back to play with the playdough in medium. I also never watch horror movies in case you wondered...
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    I find it easy to play because I have weapons. Games like Dreadhalls, Amnesia and Outlast give you an all too real sense of helplessness. 
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    @Sandpusher ; Yeah, take it slow, be cautious. Theres only a couple of jump scares you can't prepare for. Always have your guns loaded back up and ready after each fire fight and know where an escape route is at all times. Practice switching out weapons. Take things out using ranged weapons when possible. You'll be fine.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis

Problem: NPC Voice Sounds missing

For now, the NPC voices only work with the english version, make sure the language is set to english in steam.

by the Way:

Thats awesome work!

Thank you so much!

Glad you likie it!