DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 23 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
    mckracken said:
    Been there. Yet, when i rename the textures folder or move it - there is no difference ingame, so the textures are not loaded.
    You shouldn't have to rename the folder or make any new ones for the texture packs.  I had just saved each of them to my desktop and extracted each straight into the base folder so they will go right where they are supposed to go.  I did delete the script folder prior to adding anything as well.  
  • frbiefrbie Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Syndroid said:
    @Sinstalker21

First, make a clean install..(delete everything from the game folder, then use the repair function in Steam)
    Download the main mod file Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip
    and extract it to the game folder.

For high res texures, don't use the mod pack from the video. Download these 3 files instead:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-1
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-2
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-roe-patch
    Extract the zip files and open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to 
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"

Hi. I extracted the 3 files. When I understood correctly I should only copy the texture folder to the /base directory? Will these textures used automatically?
    Brain Burst
    Finally I got it to work but I have a major problem. The game starts, the vessel arrives I can see my hand moving with the touch controllers but thats all. I cannot move with touch controllers, I cannot open the menu. It seems that all the buttons are not binded. When I'm near a person and shouls press Y nothing happens. FYI: I deleted the script folder and got a new one with the mod. Please help
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    If the window is not the foreground, then I think the controls don't work. I think sometimes the controls don't work even if the window is the foreground, so I just quit the game (but not Oculus Home) and start the game again, then it works.
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    2EyeGuy said:
    If the window is not the foreground, then I think the controls don't work. I think sometimes the controls don't work even if the window is the foreground, so I just quit the game (but not Oculus Home) and start the game again, then it works.
    Any news about quake 1/2 my friend?
  • drkaiidrkaii Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    Hey man, hope you can help. Whenever I move, everything goes black except a small vertical letterbox in front of me, and the audio seems to slow down too. Do you know how I can fix this? BTW big props to you for this

Figured it out, I just turned off the vr_comfortMode.

My question now, I have googled for a while, can you decrease the 3D strength? Everything is a little bit toyified for me. 
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    drkaii said:

My question now, I have googled for a while, can you decrease the 3D strength? Everything is a little bit toyified for me. 
    that's funny, because for me it's the opposite. everything is a tad too big. Weirdly, I don't have this issue in leylands mod.
    So yeah, hopelfully they add a world scale/3d strength option one day :D 
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    Not weird, it's IPD
    Brain Burst
    Ok I don't seem to understand what the difference is between this and leyland's mod?
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    Ok I see now that yes there are two mods. This one is better in many ways, especially because you have a world scale option.

EDIT: I just tried it and I can't seem to get the World Scale to actually do anything. Is it just a place holder option at the moment?
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    I can see you were bullied into open sourcing it. Gosh I HATE that. It's your code, do what you want  with it. I never give in to the open source bullies.
    Brain Burst
    Is there a list of Console Commands? I see syndroid was using something called manualipd and managed to change it, but that cvar doesn't exist. Is there any way to change the IPD/World Scale and have it actually work? 

Sorry if I am being such a noob
    Brain Burst
    Syndroid said:
    I tried it again using the orientation reset button this time. much better. Now I only need to stand on my toes to get a little extra height while resetting the view in order to match the ingame floor to the guardian floor bounds. 
    Maybe it would be a better solution if the game would read the actual floor height that is defined in the Oculus software, I think most other standing games work this way. It could be annoying to repeat that resetting procedure every time too.

The world scale still feels a bit off though. The IPD vaule I'm using with my Rift is 61. My height is 178cm.
    With cvar "manualipd" set to 68 the scale of things look right to me, but this slightly affects the postional tracking (walking around won't translate 100% natural anymore).
    Without the ipd override, humans and objects like telephones, pda's etc, are bigger than they should be, imo. 

Other things I noticed:
    -When looking down or lowering my head just a little bit, the game switches to crouch mode and the height is wrong again. I think the game should at no time change or define your real height and always use the predefined floor height while playing standing. 
    -I tried "vr_motionFlashPitchAdjust" in hope to fix the flashlight pitch for Touch controllers, but the game didn't recognize this command.
    -Don't know if there is any haptic feedback implementation yet, but my gamepad vibrated while playing.

If the scale and height things were fixed, this would be easily the best VR experience for me, but the overall experience is still amazing the way it currently is.
    Other things are flawless . Thumbstick navigation is perfect. using touch panels works great.

here ^
    ok last message, sorry for the spam. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    edited February 2017
    Sorry to sound like a forest gump but, where is the link for the compiled build of the newest patch?

I must be blind but I cant see it

I am banging around GitHub but I can only see what I think is the source

edit I think I found it on the post here on feb 5th, the 0.15. downloading now

thjanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Brain Burst
    Wasn't easy to find, but here it is: https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    edited February 2017
    drkaii said:
    Ok I see now that yes there are two mods...
    drkaii said:
    Ok I don't seem to understand what the difference is between this and leyland's mod?
    There are two mods. Samson's mod (this thread), and Leyland's mod. There's three if you count tmek's mod, but that is ancient and only supports DK1. I think there's also a separate gplourde's mod for the original Doom 3 (not BFG).

Samson's mod natively supports both Oculus and SteamVR.
    Samson's mod has touch screens that you can reach out and touch with your finger.
    Samson's mod lets you hold the PDA, and the pause menu is on the PDA.
    Samson's mod has a full body with inverse kinematics.
    Samson's mod has fixed gun models so there's no hole on the side of the gun you don't normally see.
    Samson's mod has mostly working new VR menus to change the options, rather than having to use console commands.

Leyland's only supports SteamVR.
    Leyland's mod has proper head-tracking in the menus.
    Leyland's mod has a gaze cursor in the menus.
    Leyland's mod has the vr_comfortMode letterbox motion sickness prevention you mentioned.
    Leyland's mod has a slow motion motion sickness prevention method.
    Leyland's mod has holster slots on your body so you can grab weapons or PDA.
    Leyland's mod has a fix for standing up inside crawl spaces or low ceilings.
    Leyland's mod has realistically sized video discs (I added that)

But I've been porting most of Leyland's features over to the next version of Samson's mod. I haven't got proper head-tracking working yet in the menus, and I haven't put a gaze cursor in the menu. But I added the other features.

I've also added a lot of my own features to the next version of Samson's mod:
    • Teleporting
    • Talking to NPCs just by talking
    • Voice commands for switching weapons
    • Experimental Flicksync mode (from Ready Player One)
    • Blacking out the screen, and chaperone motion sickness prevention methods
    • Improved holster slots
    • Additional holster slots for manually attaching the flashlight to your head or left shoulder
    • Allow swapping hands just by grabbing the gun/pda/torch with your other hand
    • Fixed bad tracking when low FPS
    • Fixed missing NPC voices bug
    • Removed head bob after jumping
    • Added chaperone options to show chaperone while throwing things around, or always
    • Fixed loading screens to use Oculus world-space quad layers for perfect 90 FPS tracking while loading
    • Merged the Oculus and OpenVR versions into a single executable
    • Added more menus, and rearranged them a bit
    • Fixed most of the bugs in the menus (except the last option in HUD options)
    • Fixed flashlight shadow in Mars City 1 (except in the first cutscene)
    • Fixed application not exiting
    • Fixed warped view after dying and starting a new game
    • Fixed key bindings being loaded incorrectly from profile.bin
    • Fixed compiling and instructions so anyone can build it
    • Fixed Doom 1 and 2 controls
    • Undid most of the censorship in Doom 1 and 2
    • Fixed MAP33: Betray in Doom 2
    So Samson's mod will very soon be indisputably the best version, and will include most of Leyland's unique features.

Now I'm just waiting for Samson because he hasn't pushed any commits or pulled any of mine for weeks. Apparently he's working on some features of his own.
    Brain Burst
    Amazing stuff! Thanks for the detailed reply. Hopefully he will answer soon. I think a very important feature would be to bring over Leyland's 3D strength world scaling, as Samson's is done just via IPD, and the vr_WorldScale option does nothing (and leads to loss in positional tracking accuracy). Leyland's does it via vr_playerheightcm, although this messes up the position of the camera. 

Sorry if I am going over obvious stuff you know all about, I'm new here and excited to get this running (and recorded on my channel)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    drkaii said:
    Wasn't easy to find, but here it is: https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases
    thanks...... whilst perhaps not immediately obvious I was being a bit blind. I blame it on it being the end of a long day
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    drkaii said:
    Amazing stuff! Thanks for the detailed reply. Hopefully he will answer soon. I think a very important feature would be to bring over Leyland's 3D strength world scaling, as Samson's is done just via IPD, and the vr_WorldScale option does nothing (and leads to loss in positional tracking accuracy). Leyland's does it via vr_playerheightcm, although this messes up the position of the camera. 

I second this.

You said that the scale is too small for you. Do you have a high IPD? What's your IPD/Lens distance in Oculus?
    I guess I have a small IPD. It is currently set to 60-61 in Oculus. And in this mod, everything is noticibly too big for me.

So in case you have a high IPD, maybe that means that this mod have an issue in dealing with the IPD values from the Oculus software..  Maybe the 3D strength shifts more than it shoud be when moving the IPD/lens slider on the HMD?

As far as I remember, Leylands "vr_playerheightcm" let's you always be aligned to the floor. So if you set a ridiciulous value like 20, your eye height should still have the correct distance to the floor in game, but the scale of the world itself shrinks down to toysize and your foot would fill whole parts of the map. 
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    frbie said:
    Syndroid said:
    @Sinstalker21

First, make a clean install..(delete everything from the game folder, then use the repair function in Steam)
    Download the main mod file Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip
    and extract it to the game folder.

For high res texures, don't use the mod pack from the video. Download these 3 files instead:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-1
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-2
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-roe-patch
    Extract the zip files and open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to 
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"

Hi. I extracted the 3 files. When I understood correctly I should only copy the texture folder to the /base directory? Will these textures used automatically?
    Hello, sorry to bother again but I'm a Doom newbie. I downloaded all the files of the texture pack. Should I extract and copy all the files to the /base folder or should I copy the texture folder only? I did it with the texture folder and saw no difference. Do I have to activate the high-res textures?
    I ask because in the original installation there is no /base/texture folder.

Again, sorry for the newbie question!
    Brain Burst
    I moved all the folders in to \base and it was fine
  • Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
    When you go to unzip the folder extract the items into the base folder and they will go to where they need to be...you shouldn't need to copy/paste anything.  That goes for the main BFG mod from GitHub and the 3 texture add-ons. 
    Brain Burst
    Syndroid said:
    drkaii said:

I second this.

You said that the scale is too small for you. Do you have a high IPD? What's your IPD/Lens distance in Oculus?
    I guess I have a small IPD. It is currently set to 60-61 in Oculus. And in this mod, everything is noticibly too big for me.

So in case you have a high IPD, maybe that means that this mod have an issue in dealing with the IPD values from the Oculus software..  Maybe the 3D strength shifts more than it shoud be when moving the IPD/lens slider on the HMD?

As far as I remember, Leylands "vr_playerheightcm" let's you always be aligned to the floor. So if you set a ridiciulous value like 20, your eye height should still have the correct distance to the floor in game, but the scale of the world itself shrinks down to toysize and your foot would fill whole parts of the map. 
    It works like this. If you find everything small, it means the game's IPD is higher than your actual IPD. If you find everything big, your IPD is bigger than the game's. My actual IPD is 61mm, but I find 59mm the most comfortable on the rift. So whatever the game's natural IPD is is way too big for me, and I see everything tiny. I have to turn it down to 45mm. You have to turn it up to get things natural for you, as you have a higher IPD than me. The mod's IPD is completely off. Obviously the difference in our IPD isn't 20mm, even though we will set it to figures that differ by that. FYI I don't think the mod changes IPD with the slider. Without vr_ManualIPDEnable, it just has a default and that's it. 

3D strength would be the best thing to change, leaving the IPD altogether. Hopefully Samson is reading this and will work on it soon!

As for Leyland's, I don't really get what you mean. It uses SteamVR and that is just a hassle imo, I'm happy to have the positional tracking slightly off (I rarely move, I just stand still).

LOVE the mod now that my Touch controllers have arrived. This is heaven. SO grateful you made this Samson...

Also really happy to know that I am a good shot :D

• SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been absent for a while.  Playing catch-up at after being out for a week due to the family fun with noro.

I finished the graphics for the teleport aiming beam, and I'm working on integrating it with all of the other changes now. Will put a build out when complete and tested a bit.  Give me a few days and hopefully we'll be good to go.

There are quite a few changes in the upcoming release ( voice commands, teleporting, weapon slots,  oh my), but one I want to make everyone aware of ahead of time is that the install will change.  All mod files are being put in their own directory now, so you will need to clean the mod out of your existing install ( or just start with a clean doom 3 install) before installing the update when it's ready.  The save game location is changing as well, but your existing save games will work, you will just need to copy them over.  It shouldn't be too difficult, just different, and should be much cleaner moving forward.

Oh, and in regards to the above discussion about IPD, just to clarify, the game uses whatever IPD the headset is set at at launch, it doesn't currently adjust in real time if you change it while playing.

Syndroid, I finally looked at what Leylands mod was doing in regards to world scale, and its exactly what I thought: it modifies the IPD and view height by a % ( which you can do now with manual IPD and view height menu options). The only other thing it's doing that's not currently done in this mod is the motion control movement is also scaled by this %, which can make the world feel bigger or smaller as well.  ( None of this will help the issue you were having with the view being in the 'belly' of the player model, I will need to adjust the size or position of the layer model to accomplish that. ) Once all the current changes are sorted out I'll work on adding the world scale.

Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Samson, but what about the positional tracking? Changing the IPD in your mod (which can be done with vr_manualIPDenable 1 btw) does indeed change the scale like you said, but messes up the positional tracking. I've turned the IPD down to 45 to get the scale right (my natural IPD is about 60), and the positional tracking now takes me 2 steps for everyone 1 I make. When you get round to looking at it, can you have a look at that too? 

Not a huge issue.

(after re-reading I think you are talking about the same thing but using different words)

BTW, when I get to the elevator that takes you out of Administration, about 1 hour in, the game brings me back to the main menu with the console open. Not sure if that's a bug or is this just a demo?

p.s. thanks for the amazing work, must be so much fun. And it's given us all a brand new incredible experience and will hopefully influence devs who wish to make VR games in the future
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Lookong forward fo this next release!
    @Samson and @2EyeGuy you the man(s)!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Samson said:
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been absent for a while.  Playing catch-up at after being out for a week due to the family fun with noro.

I finished the graphics for the teleport aiming beam, and I'm working on integrating it with all of the other changes now. Will put a build out when complete and tested a bit.  Give me a few days and hopefully we'll be good to go.

There are quite a few changes in the upcoming release ( voice commands, teleporting, weapon slots,  oh my), but one I want to make everyone aware of ahead of time is that the install will change.  All mod files are being put in their own directory now, so you will need to clean the mod out of your existing install ( or just start with a clean doom 3 install) before installing the update when it's ready.  The save game location is changing as well, but your existing save games will work, you will just need to copy them over.  It shouldn't be too difficult, just different, and should be much cleaner moving forward.

any idea if J.C. himself has seen or tried this amazing mod? that would be really cool B)
  • ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 358
    Trinity
    Just popping in to give a big thumbs up for the awesome work you guys are doing on this mod! Looking forward to the next release.

Cheers!
  • kgian76kgian76 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    Great work guys. I completed Doom 3 and it's two expansions with Leyland's mod and it was an amazing experience. I would really like a good quake/quake 2 vr mod with touch support. 
  • LjudasPriestLjudasPriest Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Is there any way to get multiplayer working?
    When I start a server it tries run but drops out to the console.