DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 25 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• mckrackenmckracken Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    judging from the other posters (and my own experience) im guessing the hd textures extract and base dump does not work.

• NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 213
    Nexus 6
    mckracken said:
    judging from the other posters (and my own experience) im guessing the hd textures extract and base dump does not work.

well, i am open to any suggestions to overcome the problem of playing this game with hd textures in VR :)
  • frbiefrbie Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    It would be awesome to play the game with HD textures. Are there any tricks to do it? A complete mod would be aslo OK, when it runs flawless with the VR mod.
  • drkaiidrkaii Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Guys asking about textures. For me it worked perfectly as posted by Syndroid above. I put in every folder that came from those 3 files into \base

If that's not working for you just uninstall doom 3 bfg completely and do a 100% fresh install. Apply the mod and then add those folders.

FYI this stuff breaks your saves. If loading a save is bringing you to the menu, you need to start over.

You can use the Dev menu and some console command cheats to construct a save as similar to your old save as possible. Google is our friend 
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    drkaii said:
    Guys asking about textures. For me it worked perfectly as posted by Syndroid above. I put in every folder that came from those 3 files into \base

If that's not working for you just uninstall doom 3 bfg completely and do a 100% fresh install. Apply the mod and then add those folders.

FYI this stuff breaks your saves. If loading a save is bringing you to the menu, you need to start over.

You can use the Dev menu and some console command cheats to construct a save as similar to your old save as possible. Google is our friend 
    When you say you put in every folder, do you mean that? Because Syndroid said to only extract the texture folder to \base.

Syndroid also said "there is probably also a "models" folder in one of the PK3's which should contain the textures for the models".

As I have no experience with installing Doom 3 mods or what their structure is, and couldn't find any useful guides online, it'd be good to know for sure what to do rather than trying to reconcile contradictory instructions.

Not the end of the world if I have to start messing around at random (I'll probably get to that after the next version of the VR mod is released), but a little certainty would be nice to have :)
    Brain Burst
    As I said, I personally put every folder in and it worked. Not sure if it will lead to other problems down the line like some levels not being able to load, but so far so good. 

BTW, I also tried it putting in JUST the textures folder and that also worked. So you decide which you want to go for. 
  • scott_miller1974scott_miller1974 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The game runs on my system but I can't jump or crouch, anyone else have this problem?

I've tried with a wired 360 controller and keyboard, no joy. 

If I fire it up with Doom3BFG.exe jumping and crouching works fine.

W10/DK2
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    From my experience with the All in one HD pack, I was able to copy all folders, have never had a problem with "generated" and doesn't seem to be any undesirable side effects. This was with a new save on the latest version. as @drkaii says, perhaps I'll have troubles down the road but otherwise really enjoying it. 
    Brain Burst
    Samson did mention that there is a potential bug with that mod, and if so you should delete the base\generated folder (not part of the mod but part of the game). But again, he didn't specify if that's because you put in all folders, or just the texture folder, or what. Either way, if you run into trouble, try this first
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Not to an arsehole or anything but...
    When is the next release gonna drop?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2017
    just checked out RBdoom-vr and there the cut-scenes are handled just perfect:
    displayed on a virtual screen, playing like they did in 2d - meaning no animation and camera glitches
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    I apologize if my googling skills missed it, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question:

Is anyone else experiencing very rapid head movement side to side?  Like 2x as fast as you're actually moving your head?  After a bunch of searching, I thought disabling vr strafing in the console would fix it, but that command did nothing as far as I could tell.

If anybody else got this, were you able to fix it?  I love playing this mod, but I have to keep my body very still to avoid getting sick.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    I apologize if my googling skills missed it, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question:

Is anyone else experiencing very rapid head movement side to side?  Like 2x as fast as you're actually moving your head?  After a bunch of searching, I thought disabling vr strafing in the console would fix it, but that command did nothing as far as I could tell.

If anybody else got this, were you able to fix it?  I love playing this mod, but I have to keep my body very still to avoid getting sick.
    Check your framerate. I'd assume your game is running on ASW enabled 45fps
    Try reducing the render resolution, disabling AA or remove any graphics mods in order to get 90fps
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    Syndroid said:

Try reducing the render resolution, disabling AA or remove any graphics mods in order to get 90fps
    Is that a bug that will be fixed... or a feature ;). I think that obliging people to hit a guaranteed minimum of 90fps for head-tracking to work correctly may gather quite a few complaints. Since the runtime may suddenly drop into ASW due to a momentary dip in framerates, the some people might find head-tracking going wonky unpredictably and intermittently. Might cause more than a little nausea.
    Art3mis
    Syndroid said:
    It's happening regardless of how high or low my graphics settings are, but I will check.  What's the best way to check fps?

And just in case it wasn't clear, it isn't my head rotation that is messed up, it is positional tracking.  For example, if I have my guardian visible, and take a step from side to side or forward/backward, I can see the in-game floor moving twice as fast as I am moving in real life.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    mckracken said:
    displayed on a virtual screen, playing like they did in 2d - meaning no animation and camera glitches

I may get around to implementing this one day, it would be fairly easy to do,  I just personally dislike being pulled out of the 3d world like that - I actually prefer the fully 3d cutscenes, funky animations and all. (It would be nice to get those cleaned up one day though.) I'd be curious to see a vote of who prefers which method.

And just in case it wasn't clear, it isn't my head rotation that is messed up, it is positional tracking.  For example, if I have my guardian visible, and take a step from side to side or forward/backward, I can see the in-game floor moving twice as fast as I am moving in real life.
    This is an issue that crops up when ASW kicks in.   It's been fixed in the upcoming release - working to get it out hopefully pretty soon.  There are a bunch of new features, just want to make as many bugs as possible are squashed before release.

In the meantime, the best way to avoid the movement issue is ( unfortunately ) to try to keep ASW from kicking in for extended periods of time.  The easiest way to do this is by reducing pixel density, and reducing MSAA.  If it's happening every time you move, somethings wrong or the settings are too high - what do you currently have MSAA and pixelDensity set to, and what kind of specs are you running?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Samson said:
    mckracken said:

I may get around to implementing this one day, it would be fairly easy to do,  I just personally dislike being pulled out of the 3d world like that - I actually prefer the fully 3d cutscenes, funky animations and all. (It would be nice to get those cleaned up one day though.) I'd be curious to see a vote of who prefers which method.
    "Funky" animations. I'd rather say a lot of times it's laughable and mood breaking. Not to mention that the disembodied camera is turning my stomach into small knots. Also: for a lot of cut-scenes it is true that the Doom-marine is not experiencing it in first-person.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    mckracken said:
    "Funky" animations. I'd rather say a lot of times it's laughable and mood breaking.

This is why VR is so interesting, this is exactly how I feel about being pulled out of the game to watch a movie.

mckracken said:
     Also: for a lot of cut-scenes it is true that the Doom-marine is not experiencing it in first-person.
    True! But I'm pretty sure the Doom-Marine is also not experiencing them by floating in space and watching a giant screen :)

And please don't think I'm trying to say you're wrong at all!  This is one of the things about the way people perceive things in VR that makes it so interesting - we're both right - we just key in on different parts of the experience, and find different things immersion breaking. 
    Art3mis
    Samson said:
    This is an issue that crops up when ASW kicks in.   It's been fixed in the upcoming release - working to get it out hopefully pretty soon.  There are a bunch of new features, just want to make as many bugs as possible are squashed before release.

In the meantime, the best way to avoid the movement issue is ( unfortunately ) to try to keep ASW from kicking in for extended periods of time.  The easiest way to do this is by reducing pixel density, and reducing MSAA.  If it's happening every time you move, somethings wrong or the settings are too high - what do you currently have MSAA and pixelDensity set to, and what kind of specs are you running?
    Specs (nothing OC'd): Win10, i7 4790, GTX 1070 8gb, 16gb RAM.

I looked at the oculus debug tool performance readout, and as you said, I was getting double movement anytime the fps went to a solid 45.  The unused resources graph on the right was jumping up and down like crazy.  Interestingly enough, I used the debug tool to disable ASW, and with 1.20 density/no AA, I was getting a very stable 90 fps.  I guess my computer was trying to use ASW to free up resources even though my fps was fine.

Thanks for helping me out!  I'm glad to hear a new release is on the way, and for now I can just play with ASW disabled, and I've got no problems!
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    Hmm. Finally tried this out, installed the mod (just extracting the Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip, no textures) on top of a fresh Doom 3 BFG install. I run the mod's exe and just get audio, headset screens stay black aside from guardian boundaries.

Any idea why that happens?

Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2017
    Samson I don't understand your concern at all. I mean this is how cut scenes are handled by games since forever. They further the story, are mostly never in first person. Little movies. Doesn't matter if it's in 2d or VR. I mean ID could have done all those cut scenes in first person, but they choose not to because it wouldnt work for the story slices they wanted to tell, where they Doom Marine is NOT present.

As right now, i see not much difference over a virtual screen, except all those glitches.
    But of course it is your mod. So most of all have fun working on it. :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I prefer it your way Samson 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • frbiefrbie Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    +1 for cut scenes in full 3D VR
    Nexus 6
    How do people even get this to work? I reinstalled Doom 3 BFG from scratch, extracted the mod files in the Doom 3 BFG folder (yes to all replace file)... is there some other necessary step?
  • Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
    Sakkura said:
    How do people even get this to work? I reinstalled Doom 3 BFG from scratch, extracted the mod files in the Doom 3 BFG folder (yes to all replace file)... is there some other necessary step?
    did you delete the script file before you did all that?
    Nexus 6
    Sakkura said:
    did you delete the script file before you did all that?
    Which script file?
    Art3mis
    This is a good install guide on reddit that seems to get updated whenever a new version comes out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hww0r/doom_3_bfg_vr_oculus_touch_guide/

Installation Steps 1 and 2:
    1. Navigate to your Doom installation folder "x:\xxx\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM 3 BFG Edition"
    2. !!! Delete /base/script Folder from your installation !!!

I personally couldn't find that folder when I looked for it, and the installation worked just fine for me.  But see if it's there on your computer, and if so, delete it.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    Deleting the script folder is now unnecessary as there is an All In One Script folder or something that takes care of everything
    Art3mis
    Really?  They mention Samson a few times on that post, and he's the guy who helped me with my too-fast head tracking problem...

"The native Oculus version Samson released imo beats the SteamVR version by a huge margin, i didnt encouter performance Problems, nor height errors, nor steamvr crashes and no autoexec has to be created to avoid bobbing / disable kickback etc etc, its all already in there."
    Brain Burst
    Yes, I was wrong, I edited my post