New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Google Earth VR running on the Rift with touch

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
Hi Folks, 

I came across this video, here the guy is showing off Google Earth VR using the Oculus Touch. He is using something called FakeVive ... 

I myself cant wait to have a go ... 

Google should really release this for the OH, no excuse
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Really awesome! I'm sure Google will release this officially for Touch once it's out.

Doing a 'superman' looks so much fun! 
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    I played with this the other night on Vive... Wow!!  Absolutely stunning!!  Especially when you go down to street level (in an area that has that detail level available) and walk around like Godzilla, or fly over the area like Mothra. Sure, the houses look very deformed, but in a very artsy way.  This app is done well - very well.  It will be one I demo every time for sure.

As I understand it, the FakeVive dll simply answers the app's call for VR HMD with "Vive" regardless of whether you are using Rift or not.  It supposedly works well enough, if you are lucky enough to have Touch already, or Hydras, or Steam LEAP Driver.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Excellent, and im sure Google will improve the scanning photgrammetry tech to create even more detailed cities and buildings overtime.

Imagine how therapeutic these kinds of experiences could be for people with impaired mobility or sickness.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• WheatabitsWheatabits Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    OOOH, I can use this with my LEAP?  I have had some issues playing Vive games in the past with it, but this seems like there aren't that many buttons.  Could be fun while I wait on the Touch controllers to arrive.
  • BGFHBGFH Posts: 14
    NerveGear

I can't wait for this to officially come to the Rift.  It looks like a very cool use of VR. 

I'd love the ability to type in a specific address though, and explore from there. 

I cant tell how many sensors he is using, he has one at the back mounted to a wall, so I assume 3? ... or 2? arghh there will be a lot of testing done when mine arrives!!!

• assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Trinity
    The guy has 4 sensors, he did that in another video.. He has pretty damn good videos, he should get more views/subscribers really
  • UberwolfeUberwolfe Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    You can use this without the touch controllers, it's limited but still gives a good feel.

Use the suggested method here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

Gaze, Space and Enter keys for navigating menus.

Hold in Space and and move your head to navigate the landscape.

Pretty rudimentary but still worth it if like me you can't wait until official support :)

------------------------------
    For the record, here's the suggested method. Credit to https://www.reddit.com/u/Shockfire7:

I developed a generic solution that doesn't require patching the EXE and also lets Touch/Hydra controllers work correctly. Just download, unzip ddraw.dll into the EarthVR directory, and you're set. It works by intercepting the OpenVR requests to get HMD information, so it's not completely specific to Google Earth VR and it will (probably) continue to work even if Google releases an update.

Thanks for sharing this though. Google Earth VR is pretty cool and I hope we'll see official support for the Rift sometime soon

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    Even with FakeVive this is extremely awkward to navigate with the keyboard.  The app is VERY nicely done, but without Touch/Motion controllers pretty much pointless/useless.,IMO.
    The guy has 4 sensors, he did that in another video.. He has pretty damn good videos, he should get more views/subscribers really
    Yeah, I subed, hes awesome

flexy123 said:
    Even with FakeVive this is extremely awkward to navigate with the keyboard.  The app is VERY nicely done, but without Touch/Motion controllers pretty much pointless/useless.,IMO.
    Ah a Glass half empty kinda guy? :)

Like I said I cant wait to try it with my touch when it arrives.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,771 Volunteer Moderator
    Google should really hook up with a flight sim company. officially, not one of the tweaks.  Would be awesome.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• harryinthesoupharryinthesoup Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Seems you also need SteamVR for it to run
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    FrozenPea said:
    Really awesome! I'm sure Google will release this officially for Touch once it's out.

Doing a 'superman' looks so much fun! 
    I agree, though I saw a vid the other day that may be more superman like. In a game I've never heard of, "richies plank experience vr". I am secretly hoping a big name company will soon release some (spiderman/ironman/superman/batman/any old superhero) polished and full of depth game similar to these. All I have to say is (hopefully) there's no way a Superman VR can be as shitty as Superman 64.

• WheatabitsWheatabits Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    So now that Touch is out (and is AMAZING) has anyone seen when this gets official Touch support?
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 379
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Fakevive is just a DLL file you put in the google earth folder
  • SolslandSolsland Posts: 278
    Nexus 6
    Still no news on this being released for Oculus Touch yet??
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 379
    Nexus 6
    Not in the near future I would guess, I'll just keep on using the DLL file It seems to work ok for me
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    The fakevive didnt work for me, get the message "HTC Vive compatible only" Love when people says Oculus exclusives lol.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,971 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

I just tested this with FakeVive... it worked ok. I got an error message at the first attempt (didn't write the message down but was an initialisation error of some sort)

Then I closed everything, opened Oculus Home first... then started Google Earth & it started ok

Also, just ran it directly from the Earth.exe in the Steam game folder and it ran without the Steam VR interface starting up. Looks amazing!!

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    Nexus 6
    Just gone to download Google Earth VR and being told that it is not available in my region.. WTF?  Surely there is a work around that doesn't involve a VPN?

edited December 2016
    Solsland said:
    Just gone to download Google Earth VR and being told that it is not available in my region.. WTF?  Surely there is a work around that doesn't involve a VPN?

What country are you? that's a real pain... I just checked and the official answer on Steam is...

'We unintentionally made Google Earth VR available in several countries. The app is no longer available there. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
    Unfortunately that's all I can say at the moment, and I hear you. I am aware that this is an issue for Russia, for the Aland Islands and a couple other territories, and I am personally invested in trying to change it. I can't promise anything and I won't be able to discuss this in more detail for the time being. I am really sorry. If I have updates, I will post them here.'

I have a VPN anyway as I'm a bit paranoid about security but there you go. Hope you get this app available soon as it really is a fantastic experience. Unfortunately I don't have time to play with it more right now as I'm due to go out but it's probably going to be the first thing I play with again when I get back tonight.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    Nexus 6
    I am in the UK.  
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501

I just tested this with FakeVive... it worked ok. I got an error message at the first attempt (didn't write the message down but was an initialisation error of some sort)

Then I closed everything, opened Oculus Home first... then started Google Earth & it started ok

Also, just ran it directly from the Earth.exe in the Steam game folder and it ran without the Steam VR interface starting up. Looks amazing!!

can you post the steps you follow? Maybe I did it wrong.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Didn't work for me either. Got Vive compatibility message.
    Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
    EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
    Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps
  • Br1ckBr1ck Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It's not working here either.  One thing I noticed is that ddraw.dll is not on his github site? Am I missing something or was it removed?  Anyone that has the dll mind posting it?
    I'm away from home right now, first thing I'll do when I get home tonight will check steps. I'll also check the FakeVive dll version no. and file size just in case there are different files floating about

@EliteSPA, @paesan, @Br1ck

I've just tried to get the error I first encountered when running this app but haven't had much luck as it seems to just work now.

The only error I can get is if Steam isn't already running and I start Steam then run Google Earth VR from my Steam library without opening Oculus Home or wearing the Rift first, I then get this error:

'Hmmm that shouldn't have happened, a key component of Steam VR isn't working properly'

But then when I run it again from my Steam library, I get no errors. Running the program directly from the Earth.exe file causes no errors at all and the program always runs, regardless of whether Steam is running or not.

From memory, the first steps I took this morning when running it for the very first time was:

Ran the program from the Earth.exe file whilst both Steam and Oculus Home were not running (an error message appeared other than the message above but I didn't write it down and don't remember what it was).

Opened Oculus Home, made sure the Headset was active (put my thumb over the sensor), then ran Google Earth again by directly double-clicking the Earth.exe file... it then started ok. Ran it a second time from my Steam library and that also worked ok.

So things to check:

FakeVive ddraw.dll - no version reference but file size is 113,152 bytes

Google Earth VR - version no. 1.0.17122.1375

ddraw.dll is located within the same folder as Earth.exe (no admin or compatibility settings have been chosen)

Steam VR is installed and is version 1481163074

Solsland said:
    I am in the UK.  

That's strange, I'm in the UK too.

I downloaded Google Earth VR last week before Touch had arrived but as far as I can tell it's still available for download (I'm not using my VPN).

Anyone else in the UK can't download this?

• assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Trinity
    Works fine for me with the dll, even without touch