New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is my machine capable in minimum spec?

DaemonD1DaemonD1 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hey guys, 

I've been tentatively looking into VR, since picking up a new gaming laptop. I appreciate it isn't the most high-end, but was curious whether I'd be able to run the Rift on this to decent effect? Any input would be greatly appreciated: 

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Speed 2.6 GHz
Number of Cores 4

Memory
RAM 32 GB

Video Card #2
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 960M
Dedicated Memory 4.0 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Video Card #1
Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Dedicated Memory 128 MB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Thanks in advance guys. I'm sure these questions crop up a lot!

DD1

Answers

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Unfortunately your Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M isn't strong enough to run VR, even with ASW helping the lower spec machines.

You can run this test on your laptop to check it yourself next time though :)

https://ocul.us/compat-tool
  • DaemonD1DaemonD1 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Ah, that's a shame. I guess that's the first step then! Thanks for responding Frozenpea!
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
    Trinity
    FrozenPea said:
    Unfortunately your Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M isn't strong enough to run VR, even with ASW helping the lower spec machines.

You can run this test on your laptop to check it yourself next time though :)

https://ocul.us/compat-tool
    Just an FYI, but that tool does not check to see if you can run VR. It just has a list of supported products that are VR approved. I agree that you are under-specked, but if you want a real determination of whether your system can do VR, then use the utility from Steam, that actually tests your PC and setup.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/
    Trinity
    I fail the Oculus compatibility tool test, but as you can see the raw power of my machine is correctly measured by the Steam VR Tool. The Oculus Tool doesn't like my older 3570k CPU, which is way more powerful than the entry level 4590. Steam VR tool actually tests my cpu, and doesn't just read from a list of supported and un-supported cpu's. 

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    edited November 2016
    I don't know about correctly measured. I got a lower score than maxxgold on a gtx 1080 and 4790k. There is no reasonable explanation for that other than the test is fundamentally flawed. It tells you if you can run VR and it gives a rough idea if your system is min, medium or high end but accurate...dunno about that.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,302 Volunteer Moderator
    My gtx1080 and I7-6700k only scores "high" take this tool with a pinch of salt ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    Yeah the SteamVR performance test is not very accurate.
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your replies all. Will check over the Steam VR test and Oculus tool again later. I believe both cited my CPU as the issue last time I checked. 
    Well...I mean, if it says that, ya you may be  looking at performance lacking. I meant as far as a accurate score, it can't be taken seriously.
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 485
    Trinity
    edited November 2016

evening chaps

is or has anyone managed to get the oculus working with a 980M graphics and a i7-4710HQ cpu ?

only reason I'm asking is that the guys at work are itching to try it out and I aint taking my desktop in

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,228 Valuable Player
    Sakkura said:
    It gives my PC, which is an I5 4440 and GTX 970 a complete failure.
    NerveGear
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, so according to the Steam VR, my graphics car is the issue but it seems to be testing based on the onboard Intel graphics, as opposed to the Nvidia GTX 960M that's in there. With the Oculus tool, my graphics card is the issue with Oculus as it isn't quite meeting recommended standards: 

DaemonD1 said:
    Yeah, so according to the Steam VR, my graphics car is the issue but it seems to be testing based on the onboard Intel graphics, as opposed to the Nvidia GTX 960M that's in there. With the Oculus tool, my graphics card is the issue with Oculus as it isn't quite meeting recommended standards: 

mobile graphics are not supported. Common knowledge. Even if it was supported a 960m isn't even as good as a desktop 950, which doesn't meet min requirements so, no go.
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 102
    Art3mis

Just FYI, though... my GTX 970M on my MSI laptop gives the same result ('not ready') - but I play Elite Dangerous with it every night for hours with acceptable performance (not at maximum graphics settings, mind you!)

Trinity
    edited November 2016
    my query was like would it good enough to show some of the oculus demos to peeps I would normally not run any of my games on it.. well probably eve valk but ive got my main rig for that .. its more really for a show and tell than anything else if I'm honest
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6

evening chaps

is or has anyone managed to get the oculus working with a 980M graphics and a i7-4710HQ cpu ?

only reason I'm asking is that the guys at work are itching to try it out and I aint taking my desktop in

It depends how the laptop is designed. You do have the raw performance for it, it's just a question of internal wiring.
  • thealgorithmthealgorithm Posts: 153
    Art3mis
    With ASW being activated in the latest runtime, I guess as long as you can hit minimum 45fps (and also tweak the games to use lower quality settings) it should run fluidly on the older GTX 950 or mobile 960M GPU's.   Without the ASW, you would have required to fit 90fps for fluid motion
    Trinity

hiya sakk

its an alianware  i7 R2  ..I bought it in the hopes it would be good enough to run the CV1 prior to the cv1 release of the hardware specs (bad move) hence the ability to show and tell ..but this is a moot point ...but if its good enough for tech demos id be happy enough  

Art3mis
    I know that this would be a rather inaccurate way of testing, but I would assume that if you can somewhat get a game running in non-vr mode on your monitor in full hd and can achieve 70fps or so, it may be able to run on the CV1 using ASW at around 45-50fps (which in turn will interpolate to 90fps).  Ideally you would need gtx 970 calibre gpu or so (or one of the laptops with the pascal GPU's).   However lowering settings may get you somewhere
    Trinity
    nahh its not like that really ..essentially I don't wanna get me hopes up thinking that it will work.. only to find that it wont ..given how much the damned thing cost me in the 1st place .
    Art3mis
    With the laptop of them specs above, it would not work well regardless (but would give a far better potential experience than it originally would have without ASW).   I have a GTX 970 on my desktop and even that is just about ok (with ASW kicking in at some times)
    NerveGear
    Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the first step is upgrading GPU.
  • bobzdarbobzdar Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 2016
    Answer is: it depends.  Will your machine work?  Sure, as long as you have usb 3.0 and the proper hardware features (which any i7 will and your 960M will).  Only concern would be with the hdmi port on the laptop as some of them pass through and cause issues with the headset (according to what I've read), so you might have to use a display port or dvi adapter.  Given that's ok, will it work without making you nauseous?  Depends on the game....

I'm running on a positively ancient PhenomII X4 955BE but with a new gtx 1060 6GB.  It works perfectly in iRacing and Assetto Corsa at 90fps with the graphics close to maxxed out (just had to tone down the mirrors in iRacing a bit), which are the main reasons I wanted it - so for me it's perfectly adequate despite the cpu not being minimum spec.  However, I'm sure some of the other games would hurt it - and it does not work with ASW due to lack of SSE3 support on the processor (not an issue for you).  I plan to upgrade next year when the new AMD's are out to see what they bring to the table, but right now there's zero reason for what I run unless I find a new game that won't run.  As said above, try some of the games you are interested in and see if you can get them running at 90-100fps in 1080p.  If you can do that, you can probably get it running without issue at 45fps in VR, which with ASW will be fine.  Not ideal, but fine.  I was able to get iRacing running at over 250fps in 1080p with pretty high graphics settings, so I knew it wouldn't be an issue as long as I could get the headset setup and working (which took some doing due to the aformentioned ASW/SSE3 issue).
    edited November 2016
    bobzdar, 960(M) will not necessarily work  at all, if the laptop uses Optimus so saying it "will" is misinformation. and it simply does not meet min requirements. Performance will be janky thats if it works at all.
  • bobzdarbobzdar Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 2016
    bobzdar, 960(M) will not necessarily work  at all, if the laptop uses Optimus so saying it "will" is misinformation. and it simply does not meet min requirements. Performance will be janky thats if it works at all.
    I suppose I should have been more clear - the pass through may prevent you using it.  You'd have to test it out and see if your laptop has a port that connects directly to the 960M instead of going through the igpu (some have the display port or dvi port connected to the 960m while hdmi passes through the igpu).  If all of the connections go through the igpu, you may be out of luck.

If op can, go in the bios and see if you can run on discrete graphics only.  If you have that option, you should be able to get it to work.  If not, it will be risky.
    Trinity
    I don't know about correctly measured. I got a lower score than maxxgold on a gtx 1080 and 4790k. There is no reasonable explanation for that other than the test is fundamentally flawed. It tells you if you can run VR and it gives a rough idea if your system is min, medium or high end but accurate...dunno about that.
    I have my pc optimized and I know how to get the most out of it. Like you said though, it just gives you an idea if you can run VR. Nothing is definitive. 
    Techy111 said:
    My gtx1080 and I7-6700k only scores "high" take this tool with a pinch of salt ;)
    What do you get on 3D mark?, I wouldn't be concerned with that setup, but like I said above, I run my system at high settings and it can easily beat or surpass your setup, if you don't know what you are doing. Nice specs though. 
    Sakkura said:
    As compared to the Oculus test that does nothing but read from a list of accepted hardware, the Steam tool is way more accurate. That doesn't mean that it is correct in every situation though.

3.JPG 1021.1K
    2.JPG 1.5M
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741 Poster of the Week
    Is that the Thermaltake Core P5 case?
    edited November 2016
    MaxxgoldI have my PC "optimized" too.  Been building my own, tweaking and overclocking for 15 years. The score is not accurate. Disable hyperthreading lowered my score. Stock clock vs overclock lowered my score, AHCI is enabled, etc etc nothing is wrong with my system,  yet I saw people with lower specs score higher.  No one should use it as a benchmark. It is indeed only good for a rough idea.
  • vasilhs28vasilhs28 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    s