Early Room-scale setup, 3 sensors. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Early Room-scale setup, 3 sensors.

MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
Trinity
edited December 2016 in General
I received my 3 adjustable sensor mounts today, so I decided to go ahead and map out the area I plan to use for RoomScale. I have a 9' by 11' space available for my setup

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDBXBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to use 3 sensors. I was originally going to go with two, but I didn't want to wait for the extra sensor if I ended up needing it, so I just ordered the extra sensor. I followed this triangle setup.  I'm going to try this setup for the back sensor.

The first thing I did was make some measurements on my ceiling, and map out the angles. The sensors are reported to have a 100 degrees horizontal angle 

by a 70 degrees vertical angle.

So I grabbed my protractor and started making some marks on the ceiling. I also used some wool thread and painters tape to mark out the angles on my ceiling.

Once I got everything mapped out correctly. All the angles overlapped, and providing complete coverage of my entire play area. I installed the camera mounting hardware. I placed 2 up front, and one in the back of the room. I have a 9' wide area so the back camera is mounted at 4'6".

Once I mounted my sensor. I reset the sensor so I can still sit at my desk and use my headset. The nice thing about the camera mounts is that you can rotate the sensor 360 degrees, and I can tilt the sensor forward or backwards for more coverage. I also have the rear sensor mount back off the wall so that I can rotate that sensor 360 degrees, and tilt it forward or backwards.

I'm still waiting for Oculus Touch and my extra sensor, so when I get the extra hardware I will finish this post. I just figured everyone is looking at how to do their setup, so I figured I would share mine.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,608 Valuable Player
    Nice! Am only going for 2 sensors myself I think, in opposing corners. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    Nice! Am only going for 2 sensors myself I think, in opposing corners. :D
    You will probably be fine. I was going to do 2, but I wanted to be sure, so I bought the extra sensor. I'm going to test my setup with 2 just to see if I would have been fine without the extra sensor.
  • battleaxe39battleaxe39 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    i'm going to try 2 also, not sure where they are going yet but I will find somewhere even if its on the wifes head when she is sleeping lol
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 512
    Neo
    I am staying with 2 also, but in a 180 configuration.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Oh c'mon Maxx! With the cheese you spent on that setup thus far, what's another $80? Get a 4th. I am. 
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    Oh c'mon Maxx! With the cheese you spent on that setup thus far, what's another $80? Get a 4th. I am. 
    Haha, I think I was good with 2, but wanted the 3rd just in case. Four would be overkill :wink:, or would it?
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Maxxgold said:
    I followed this triangle setup.
    If I had ordered a third camera, I would rather have went with a circle (or ellipse), and placed a camera every 120° from the central point.

The same way you would place a camera every 90° from the central point if you had 4 cameras.
  • mikjacmikjac Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2016
    Cyril said:
    Maxxgold said:
    I followed this triangle setup.
    If I had ordered a third camera, I would rather have went with a circle (or ellipse), and placed a camera every 120° from the central point.

The same way you would place a camera every 90° from the central point if you had 4 cameras.
    Which incidentally, gives you a triangle.

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink:
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited November 2016
    Love the PC case :smile:

I will be testing with 2 sensors first, my room isnt that big.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    holy shit that wall mounted pc case is awesome!

You'll have to let us know how it goes, I was thinking of mounting 2 on the wall in front of me high up and then if I need a third to just use a tripod so it's movable :)

Also wouldn't it be better to hang your rift the other way around so the dust falls on the front of the HMD and not in the lens? :)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    I come in peace.

My sense of logic let me think the more sensors you have, the more CPU power is required to acquire, compute, fine tune, confirm, positions in space and rotations of our devices, headset and Touch ones, so less CPU power is left for games/apps. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll wait reports and feedback before going to more than the 2 I'll have after receiving my Touchs.

Remember : I came in peace.

Edit : but OP you made a great work, I'm probably kind of jealous saying above ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    Well... i'm going to have 4 sensors in the end (yes, i was going to buy 3... but in the end i said "fu@k it! i spent 1700€ for the pc, i'm going to spend 90 more for the 4th sensor -.-)
    I'm confident i'll be able to basically have my room walls as playground walls (well, i don't want ot crash the controllers so i'll make the play space smaller...but i hope to have it as big as possible)
    My problem is that i have inclined cealing in my "vr room", cause my apartment in basically in the attic... i'll have to fix some height... u.u
  • MiddleMan82MiddleMan82 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I was also going to do a triangle setup, just like in the image they showed us at OC3. Then a week before they release the product, they go and post this https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t39.2365-6/15292481_1684901718506977_940706320107962368_n.pdf

Now I don't know what the fuck to do. I had all my mounts and cable ready, now I might have to buy longer ones. Guess I'll just have to experiment when it turns up.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    I'm gonna try a variant on Oculus' new recommendation: one camera in three of the corners of the room, because I want to maximize room-scale, and have cables going along the walls. I'm mounting the cameras to shower-curtain-rods set up vertically from floor to ceiling in the corners, with the cameras mounted to clamps clamped to the rods. I have the rods already setup, the clamps arrive tomorrow.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I don't want to fix anything permanently so still not sure how to mount these. Im wondering if i could place 2 sensors on top of each of my speakers as they are ideally placed? Do the Sensors screw into a standard tripod mount?
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    Just measured things out, if i set it up like the guide i have just over 2x2meters of playing space, the back sensor is just short of 4 meters from the opposite sensor & the 2 at  the front are1700mm apart, 700mm from start of my desk. I could probable get a bit more space if i moved my room about a bit but tbh i'm not sure im that bothered about less than half a meter. Be interesting if it all goes to plan. 
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    YoLolo69 said:
    My sense of logic let me think the more sensors you have, the more CPU power is required to acquire, compute, fine tune, confirm, positions in space and rotations of our devices, headset and Touch ones, so less CPU power is left for games/apps. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll wait reports and feedback before going to more than the 2 I'll have after receiving my Touchs.
    http://uploadvr.com/oculus-cv1-positional-camera-efficient/

"Even in the multi camera demos,” Palmer says, “we are well under 1% CPU power, it’s just insignificant to do this kind of math.” Even when adding “more cameras and more objects,” we are guessing something like of four cameras, two headsets, and two sets of controllers, “it is only eating up 5% of one core."
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    I'm doing almost exactly a 2m x 2m playspace. Got my extensions yesterday, and I jury rigged a new tripod together

i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    nrosko said:
    I don't want to fix anything permanently so still not sure how to mount these. Im wondering if i could place 2 sensors on top of each of my speakers as they are ideally placed? Do the Sensors screw into a standard tripod mount?
    Yeah, the sensors screw into standard 1/4" 20 tripod mounts. For my apartment I'm using a method I saw someone else using: take a long shower curtain rod and extend it from floor to ceiling (so no permanent install problems):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF5SY1E

Then get a camera-mount clamp (with adjustment so you can aim the sensor), attach the camera sensor, and clamp it to the shower curtain rod.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T1MVP2

This way you can mount the sensors as high as you want, it doesn't permanently attach anything to walls or ceiling, and if you get one roughly the same color as your walls it doesn't look too bad. Of course, this means it costs like $36 for each mount setup, plus any needed extension cables (the third sensor comes with a 5 meter extension, but not the one packed with the Touch).
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,754 Volunteer Moderator
    @Maxxgold

I am in love with that wall mounted machine, and great stuff all round.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    I measured my space and the exact space that I have in front is 8ft, and I am going to install the 3rd one on the side wall at exactly 10 feet away to clear a window and some curtains...It almost looks like I wrote this guide lol.
    I also have a fourth camera option on a tripod, but this one I am still not sure, I will try to see where 3 leaves me, but I am worried about the blind spot to the back left with only 3...

Attaching things permanently doesn't worry me at all...my wife wants to change the color of the walls every 4-5 years lol holes don't really bother me...

Here's my setup:

Using some tilt/swivel standard camera mount (3$ each from Hong Kong):

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,934 Valuable Player
    This is the absolute sexiest thread on this forum. Bravo!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trinity
    Updated the main post with new 3 sensor setup picture and a picture of my 2 front sensors hanging from the ceiling. I should have the 3rd sensor tomorrow and I will post the last picture when I get it all setup. Right now I have 11' x 9' front facing room-scale setup. I rarely have any tracking issues unless I try to flip all the way around. I can turn to the left and to the right pretty far before I have any issues.
  • betcbetc Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    all the science and thinking going into your setups is awesome! i just slapped my sensors down
    i "impulse" ordered a third cam last night after a few beers, dont know why, but hey, its on its way!
    15ft setup, no issues losing tracking

How good is the arcade game in The Lab, thats a good demo to test your play area tracking
    same with The Unspoken, you need some pretty accurate tracking to hit them at range with fireballs