cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much space do I need for Oculus Touch?

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
What is the recommended space requirements for Oculus Touch?
8 REPLIES 8

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
All you need is a space large enough to stand.
But if a game uses room scale generally it will have specific recommended space size for that game specifically.

So best case scenario you have a huge room with lots of space. But you only NEED a small spot to stand.

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
I don't have a huge room but I have just enough space to use my PSVR so hopefully thats enough room for the Touch as well. Also do you know if you can use Touch sitting down in certain games?

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
You can yes, I've done it.

neddycgoon
Protege
You are going to need room to swing your arms around and if you have room for a step or two in each direction that will be a bonus.As for sitting down if the sensor can see them that's all you need.

Redaven
Explorer
I agree - its the hand and arm waving that will be the issue.  My play space has a ceiling fan right above me!  Not sure how long that will last! 🙂

Most seem to have a smallish space - maybe a couple of metres wide at most, near their PC desk.  Wall collisions will be common I think!

edmg
Trustee
The room is a lie. Most Steam 'ROOMSCALE!' games can be played standing in one spot, though it may not be a great experience when you have to teleport every step. But you will often need space to swing your arms around you for guns, swords or whatever.

The simple reality is that game devs who are running as a business don't build games that need a lot of space because few gamers have it. Their market is small enough already, without restricting it further.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

edmg said:

The room is a lie. Most Steam 'ROOMSCALE!' games can be played standing in one spot, though it may not be a great experience when you have to teleport every step. But you will often need space to swing your arms around you for guns, swords or whatever.

The simple reality is that game devs who are running as a business don't build games that need a lot of space because few gamers have it. Their market is small enough already, without restricting it further.

Absolutely correct.  It's at the point where everyone has their own definition of it. But one things for sure you  don't need more than standing room plus room to wave your arms about. Anything more is  just a bonus and there isn't one game to date that requires you walk about your play space and Vive users continue to call this along with  motion controllers " room scale".

Calcanuck
Honored Guest
Other commenters are correct; you don't HAVE to have more than a single spot with clearance for arm movement for the Rift, which seems to have less games designed for room scale than the Vive.  However, it's great to have enough area to take a couple steps in any direction.  I have reserved an 8' by 10' area in the adjacent bedroom for my HTC Vive, but only a small 4' by 4' spot right in front of my office PC for the Oculus Rift, which needs to be closer to the PC due to the extra USB sensor cabling.

For the man who has a ceiling fan right above him:  Beware the otherwise
wonderful Google Earth, which asks you to swipe a controller over your head
to change the time of day!