The Climb, with Touch — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Climb, with Touch

Just noticed that The Climb updated. Played a bunch of levels with Touch. 
Very nicely done!

Comments

• CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    I always thought it was weird that the game shipped without touch support initially, may have to finally buy that one!
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 356
    Trinity
    It's actually really good even with the 360!
    But looking forward to try it with touch, whenever that might be..
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    CLParker said:
    I always thought it was weird that the game shipped without touch support initially, may have to finally buy that one!
    I enjoyed it with the controller and love it even more now, I can imagine it getting quite exhausting though. 
    Then again I'm in crap shape.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Quite a few Vive owners said that games like Audioshield worked as an exercise program for them.  If you're in crap shape, maybe Touch is exactly what you need!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    I have already had a slight moment of off balance feeling through it. I work at my local hospital and do a lot of work for the emergency department. I CANNOT go there with oculus rift induced facial damage!
    I am definitely glad I got the touch though. Feels much better in the Climb and maybe this constitutes light level exercise (wishful thinking)
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    It's hooooooorrible with the xbox controller. I hung it up to wait for Touch. Couldnt stand it. A lot of the time it's ok but then you do things like grabbing rungs of a upside down ladder and the avatars hands glitch out and refuse to grab hand holds, drove me up the wall. Your hand is able to grab the rung you're on, and not quite able to reach the next one. Gazing and pulling a trigger just doesn't quite cut it.

Pretty sure with Touch controllers is the way it's truly meant to be played.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,592 Volunteer Moderator
    If you haven't bought The climb yet, you should check out the Touch Launch bundle. Good deal if you're interested in two or three of the included games.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    Just tried the new location North. And Wow!! It's awesome!! 
    Man I'm longing to get my touch now!.. :#
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,883
    Project 2501
    Nalex66 I didn't want to pay 50.00 and not have the touch. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the bundle. I was like a kid in a candy store.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    I bit the Bullet and bought it for the Vive. Works well with the Wands once you get use to relaxing the grip. Managed to complete a few climbs and my arms were aching at the end. Boosted SS to 2.5?to get it to look decent on a 1070 and got some judder.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    inovator said:
    Nalex66 I didn't want to pay 50.00 and not have the touch. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the bundle. I was like a kid in a candy store.
    Right? I'd been holding off for Touch too, so that deal was perfect for me. I tried the first level of The Climb with the gamepad last night, since I don't have Touch yet--I like the game, but it will be much better with real hands.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Atmos73 said:
    I bit the Bullet and bought it for the Vive. Works well with the Wands once you get use to relaxing the grip. Managed to complete a few climbs and my arms were aching at the end. Boosted SS to 2.5?to get it to look decent on a 1070 and got some judder.
    You won't see any visual benefit beyond 2.0, and you're making a lot more work for your video card at that. I had a couple brief "low framerate" warnings on a 1080SC with 2.0 and maxed settings.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,312
    Wintermute
    edited December 2016
    I've had my first experience of the game this evening and although i have a pathological fear of heights, there's definitely something to be said for not looking down.

However, here's a question for you veterans.  How am i supposed to re-chalk my hands, when letting go with the hand that i want to chalk, means that my other hand gets so tired that i fall?  I'm holding the grip button and shaking my hand, like a polaroid picture, but i tend to fall before the chalk arrives.

Any tips would be gratefully received.  
    Trinity
    Greyman said:
    I've had my first experience of the game this evening and although i have a pathological fear of heights, there's definitely something to be said for not looking down.

However, here's a question for you veterans.  How am i supposed to re-chalk my hands, when letting go with the hand that i want to chalk, means that my other hand gets so tired that i fall?  I'm holding the grip button and shaking my hand, like a polaroid picture, but i tend to fall before the chalk arrives.

I have not tried it with the touch yet, so I do not know how fast you'll have to shake your hand.
    But if you look at your wrists, you can see an indicator of your fatigue, When You rest with both Hands on a grip they turn blue, when you let go of one hand the one holding the grip turns red, you will then fall.
    Make sure you whait with chalking your hand untill that meter is all blue.
    Otherwise you won't have time to chalk before loosing your grip.
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Wintermute
    Yup. that's what i've been doing, but i think my problem might be with the hand i am trying to get re-chalked.  Maybe my wrist needs more strength to get the right amplitude and frequency of shaking.  You could go blind playing this game ffs . :)
    When I first started I thought you had to chalk every few grips because I kept falling. Then I reslised you have to half grip - too much you run out of stamina and too little you fall. Half way and the bar turns blue you and hang for a while. The quicker you shake your hands the fast you chalk up. Only you physically use more energy the faster you shake.

Wintermute
    Ah, that's prolly where i'm going wrong.  I'm holding on too tightly.  It's that fear of heights you see.  I'll have to practise a little and get used to using a half press of the trigger.

Thanks
    3Jane
    Greyman said:

Let your stamina regen then let go with one hand and chalk it. Logically you'l fall if you let go and chalk when the stamina gauge is nearly empty. You did notice the blue stamina gauge right?

I feel like this game is meant for Touch, and the game pad was a....accommodation.
    Wintermute
    edited December 2016
    I do know about the blue bar, but even when i let it get fully blue, i still tend to fall.  I must be taking too much time trying to shake the chalk onto my hand.  Just need practise perhaps, as i have a similar problem when trying to sweep pebbles from a ledge.

I will try to master the "half-grip" also, as i understand that will make your grip last longer.

Edit: i am using the Touch by the way.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 536
    Neo
    Tried this for the first time the other night. Very pretty game but I think Windlands beats it hands down for a sense of height and vertigo.

The problem I have is that you're stood on the floor and yet supposedly hanging over a great height. The two senses counteract each other and it breaks the suspension of disbelief. The feeling of height and precariousness only comes back once I'm stood on one of the platforms. If when you looked down you saw two legs with the feet digging in to get a grip on the rock face, I think that would go a long way to kidding my brain into thinking I'm there. 

I'll try it again later tonight and see if I feel any different. Just been on Windlands again and phew, that still makes me feel uneasy.
  • MadDogMichlMadDogMichl Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I can't make any changes to the graphics settings! Not with the touch controllers and not with the gamepad. Any help?
    3Jane
    Main menu screen...graphics. Why would you be unable to make changes?
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I've already posted this somewhere else today but i've lost 35 pounds since I got my Rift, and the Touch controllers are probably going to help even more - updating The Climb now, can't wait to try it out again with new controllers!
    What Rank are you guys at?
    Brain Burst
    Main menu screen...graphics. Why would you be unable to make changes?
    I don't know why I can't change any of these settings. That's why I'm looking for help here. I can't move any of the sliders. Not with the stick or any other button - tried touch and gamepad...
    Wintermute
    point at the option you want to change and move the right stick left or right.  that's how i do it.

Black up and down arrows should appear to the right of the selected attribute and then just move the right stick right or left to select the option you want.
    Brain Burst
    Greyman said:
    point at the option you want to change and move the right stick left or right.  that's how i do it.

Black up and down arrows should appear to the right of the selected attribute and then just move the right stick right or left to select the option you want.
    That's strange. I did absolutely try it this way. And I did see the black arrows... But nothing happend. Will try again tomorrow...
    Brain Burst
    ...Also worth mentioning: The bars of the settings are all empty for me. (980 Ti, i7 3820).
    And it works with the language settings or with settings that I have to check or uncheck e. g. "FPS warning"...
    Wintermute
    That sounds odd.  Maybe take a screen print and post it here or send it to their support page
  • A.ForceA.Force Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    My question is: How do you people prefer to play the climb?
    I tried it briefly for the first time yesterday, using touch controllers and in a standing position.

I found myself getting some motion sickness even though i consider myself pretty tolerant from previous gaming. I just didnt really know how to position my body. Standing up, i kind of leaned this way and that and maybe even moved my legs subconsciously. This caused a disconnection like i was just some flying ghost standing too far from the wall with my hands extended forward instead of arms upwards and body hanging.

Do you play sitting down? I believe it would maybe be better. Or somehow ensuring i stand up but only move my arms and not my body. Tips are appreciated!