New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Medium Frequently Asked Questions

13»

Comments

• wxyzwxyz Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    How do we change the background color? I was able to turn off the skybox, but don't know what the next step is.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,643 Valuable Player
    scroll down the settings menu, couple of items under the skybox option
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,129 Power Poster
    If you didn't realize you could scroll, you use the Grab button (side of handle) to grab and move the menu up and down.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • wxyzwxyz Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the help
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166 Poster of the Week
    Awesome application! It's totally changed my workflow and I'm honestly having the most fun and getting better results than any 3D tool I've ever used in the past.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to lock an axis when moving layers or using the clay tool? 
    2. Is there a way to reset the symmetry tool or align a layer with the symmetry tool?
    3. Some of my sculpts have layers where the "boundaries" (i think that's what they are) are no longer aligned with the X and Y axis (view-able when support controller thumb stick is held down) and the object on that layer is close to the edge of the boundaries limiting the ability to sculpt it any further without cutting off the stamp. How do I fix layers that have had this happen to them? How does the layer get to this state?
    For number 3, you can re-center a layer's boundaries around the geometry--select the layer in the Layers menu and click Center.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166 Poster of the Week
    nalex66 said:
    For number 3, you can re-center a layer's boundaries around the geometry--select the layer in the Layers menu and click Center.
    Thank you! I'll give that a try. I've seen that option but didn't realize that's what it was for.

When you make a new layer, holding down layers menu stick will show a turquoise wireframe globe. This marks the center of the layer volume and is a good place to start sculpting. It disappears as soon as you lay down some clay.
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    When you make a new layer, holding down layers menu stick will show a turquoise wireframe globe. This marks the center of the layer volume and is a good place to start sculpting. It disappears as soon as you lay down some clay.
    actually what would be nice with this is if you happen to want to redo the initial clay you put down that the marker would re- appear when no clay is down. or at least just remain appeared when you pull the layer menu up. 

XlordB said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    actually what would be nice with this is if you happen to want to redo the initial clay you put down that the marker would re- appear when no clay is down. or at least just remain appeared when you pull the layer menu up. 

In my wildest fantasies it's always there but it's a full-blown transform gizmo and I can spin in place and move and scale along axes... Then I wake up, soaking with sweat and weeping softly into my pillow :(
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,052
    3Jane
    "How do I fix layers that have had this happen to them? How does the layer get to this state?"

This problem is caused by having layers at different resolutions. Imagine a first layer at resolution plus 2 that is 3/4 the size of the box. Adding a second layer at resolution plus 3 causes the original layer to appear larger, as if it also has res +3. If you select layer one again, it goes back to normal size, and selecting layer 2 causes it to look bigger, perhaps with parts cut off.
    At least that's how I think it works. In one case the original layer was cut off and did not restore the missing parts when selected. Trying to combine layers of different resolutions will mess things up bad.
    A resolution change is a change of scale, not something like ppi.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • Artist3dArtist3d Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I was using the program to build a 3D version of 2D painting I did and brought in a reference image to work from. Now that I have completed my sculpture how do I get rid of the reference image that is floating there? Thanks to anyone who knows. I thought of deleting it from the media folder however that seems like it might create an error when I try to reload my sculpture.

I think the In Medium program is ground-breaking both for Oculus VR and artists. It is offers a truly signature tool unique to the Oculus Rift virtual reality world  Anyone looking to build models that are more organic looking and natural, particularly for fantasy landscapes and objects must be as thrilled as I am.

Artist3d said:
    I was using the program to build a 3D version of 2D painting I did and brought in a reference image to work from. Now that I have completed my sculpture how do I get rid of the reference image that is floating there? Thanks to anyone who knows. I thought of deleting it from the media folder however that seems like it might create an error when I try to reload my sculpture.

I think the In Medium program is ground-breaking both for Oculus VR and artists. It is offers a truly signature tool unique to the Oculus Rift virtual reality world  Anyone looking to build models that are more organic looking and natural, particularly for fantasy landscapes and objects must be as thrilled as I am.

Bring up reference edit mode - pull the stick down and fire your laser at the middle tab along the bottom

Select the image you want to remove - the one in your scene - not the one in the sculpt menu

Hit the green "gear" button on your tool hand and select "Delete"

This will only remove the instance you have in your live sculpt, the image is still saved in your refs folder

• UniladyUnilady Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited June 2017
    I dont know who to talk to i wanted to give some game thoughts of a few new games for the gear vr picoss , tripeak solitaire, and sims if u dont know what picoss is its in the google play store please and thank u this would be awesome if u can make this happen for me if u can
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 491 Poster of the Week
    @MattHickman just a question regarding the medium folder in documents - windows 7, can this be moved to a different drive ? medium is maxxing out my puny ssd. is it something i can change in environment variables or something. cheers really keen to know 
    @MattHickman just a question regarding the medium folder in documents - windows 7, can this be moved to a different drive ? medium is maxxing out my puny ssd. is it something i can change in environment variables or something. cheers really keen to know 
    I have my Windows user folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Downloads) on a different drive than my OS, and Medium uses that location without issue. I'm on Windows 10, but I'm pretty sure Windows 7 allows you to relocate user folders as well. If your SSD is getting full, you should consider moving all of that stuff. 
    nalex66 said:
    I have my Windows user folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Downloads) on a different drive than my OS, and Medium uses that location without issue. I'm on Windows 10, but I'm pretty sure Windows 7 allows you to relocate user folders as well. If your SSD is getting full, you should consider moving all of that stuff. 
    Thanks @nalex66 - when you moved this how did you let Medium know where it was ?? 
    I had them on my secondary drives prior to installing Medium (I had set up my PC that way from the start), and Medium used the correct path automatically. I suppose it might be necessary to reinstall Medium after changing the default location of the user folders in Windows. 
    nalex66 said:
    I had them on my secondary drives prior to installing Medium (I had set up my PC that way from the start), and Medium used the correct path automatically. I suppose it might be necessary to reinstall Medium after changing the default location of the user folders in Windows. 
    When I set up my rift I have it all on the second drive D: and all the other apps for oculus sit there - but medium saves to documents - so yea I would assume env var would be the place to change it ? 
  • Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the symmetry plane. I have seen a lot of posts about the symmetry plane - but none that covers this (my apologies if I missed it and it has been discussed to death somewhere)...

When creating characters, I do the limbs without symmetry and things like head and torso with symmetry. However, since we have the 20 layer limit and the added precision of vr - I really want to pose my characters early on and then detail them along the way instead of doing a finished character in the A or T pose and then pose them..

What I'm looking for is a way to sketch the first basic geometry at lowest resolution and then cut it up - much like SouthernGFX did with his Treehugger - but then have the symmetry plane follow the mass of fx. the torso when you moved that into place.. Basically to have the symmetry plane be unique to each layer.. I hope I'm making sense.. If anyone have tried 3d coat at some point - you'll know what I'm trying to say :)
    Symmetry plane is not per-layer, it's one single plane fixed in worldspace. I think the devs are working on a better solution but for now breaking symmetry is a one-way street.
  • Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Too bad - but thank you :)
    @Fistful_of_Colors - Hang in there, the devs are acutely aware that we desire all manner of constraint and alignment functionality and claim to be busy with a few of these things as we speak. So far they've been pretty good to their word. I'm sure we'll have a solution soon enough.

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Does anyone know how to move a whole imported stamp collection?

I've added Scout's Creature Kit(it's awesome,check it out if you haven't!) but it defaults into the 'custom' folder which I would like to keep free for my own stamps. However it's possible to move my own stamps into separate folders but I can't move imported stamps into another folder.

Ideally all I would like is for all the creature kit stamps to be in their own folder but doesn't look like I have the option to move them within medium itself like my own ones.
  • Daddio66Daddio66 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Is there a way to change the skybox picture/setting. I saw a Tested video on Youtube where a MARVEL artist was using Medium and it was a 3d Cityscape skybox?  Is that available anywhere?
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Daddio66 said:
    Is there a way to change the skybox picture/setting. I saw a Tested video on Youtube where a MARVEL artist was using Medium and it was a 3d Cityscape skybox?  Is that available anywhere?
    That particular case was a special build for Comic Con. Adding customizeable skyboxes is on our list for future updates but we don't currently support anything but the clouds or custom color background.
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 623
    Neo
    FrozenPea said:
     However it's possible to move my own stamps into separate folders but I can't move imported stamps into another folder.
    Last time I tested this, got errors, maybe asset duplication?  Was quite a while ago.  What's your folder transfer process?  Also, is it possible to put sculpts into different folders?
13»