Post Your First Medium Sculpts! - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post Your First Medium Sculpts!

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    These are all awesome! :D

I might go for a second sculpt tonight! Last night I discovered the materials / lighting options in Medium which was cool, so might update my first sculpt slightly! :)
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    Another great video from Tested ... https://youtu.be/Pf8sKAuzR0k

Dominic Qwek makes it look so easy. It's great watching talented people working, gives good insight to tool usage and workflow.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
     Here my first 1h sculpt.
    Lathe here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6pjobq5t7oogkp/bear.mp4?dl=0
    Really cute sculpt ! :)  How do you set the background to be totally black ?
    I don't get a working video from the link.
    edited December 2016
    @OutatimeTV Try think link instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6pjobq5t7oogkp/bear.mp4

You can edit the lights from the layer settings if I remember correctly.

Edit: If you press the icon above the home button you can edit the lights there.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,948 Volunteer Moderator
    While I'm waiting for my Touch... can you experts tell me if you can import 2D drawings to use as plan/section guide drawings? jpg, png or the like?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,583 Volunteer Moderator
    While I'm waiting for my Touch... can you experts tell me if you can import 2D drawings to use as plan/section guide drawings? jpg, png or the like?
    I don't think I've seen that option in the documentation or videos, but it would be handy, so you could look at some reference sketches as you work. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MrKuddenMrKudden Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    rms8080 said:

started with the spaceship, then the fire, then the rocks, then the yellow thing. about 1 hour. seems like this is pushing the limits of Medium, when I load this scene back up I get a "your computer is going to run out of memory" message!
    Hah, i didnt read your post first, just looked at the picture and I thought it was Bumblebee shooting a rocket ;D But yeah I can see it's a spaceship =D
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,948 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    I don't think I've seen that option in the documentation or videos, but it would be handy, so you could look at some reference sketches as you work. 
    Exactly, if this option doesn't exist, a possibility might be to create a 2D .obj in another package that is basically a picture and import that, provided .obj's import complete with their textures
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,701 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    AFAIK, it's something they're hoping to bring with a future release. I'm a digital sculpting noob, the one thing I miss in Medium is my anatomy refs
  • Distant2kDistant2k Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    All my wife could create was a giant cock and balls. Won't be posting that here though :wink:
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,256 Volunteer Moderator
    Lol cock and balls, that made chuckle :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RobertbaRobertba Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    ItIt's clear to see that I know what I am doing :smiley:
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    looks like we have quite a few artists amongst us..
    @TrancerSpacey That's amazing! You should try painting it!  :#
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Second sculpting test, after my first dragon crashed. My opinion: awesome Medium is AWESOME!

So. Much. Fun! LOVE IT!!!
    So cool!
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Oculus makes me proud. Look at all this fine art coming out!
    FrozenPea said:
    @TrancerSpacey That's amazing! You should try painting it!  :#
    Thank you! I work as freelance illustrator and I have the same thoughts. With Medium I can develop characters and can study them in every perspective, which makes drawing and painting hopefully a lot easier.
    I'm so excited and it makes! so much fun to work with Medium. Even for this app, buying Rift and Touch was totally worth it! :-)

And by the way, this is basically my first 3D-Sculpting attempt. I have never done it bevore. (My very first trys on Commodore Amiga 500 in 1991 do not count. :-D)
    That's interesting. When I saw your post, I figured you had experience with zbrush or sculptris or something. I'm guessing Medium will serve as a gateway drug to bring a lot of traditional artists into the digital sculpting world. Up til now there's always been a heavy interface learning curve as a barrier to entry.
  • TrancerSpaceyTrancerSpacey Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    P3nT4gR4m said:

That's interesting. When I saw your post, I figured you had experience with zbrush or sculptris or something. I'm guessing Medium will serve as a gateway drug to bring a lot of traditional artists into the digital sculpting world. Up til now there's always been a heavy interface learning curve as a barrier to entry.
    No, I know ZBrush and that stuff only by name. Never worked with it or tried it. I downloaded Blender just to store it on my harddrive. :D  

But now I think I should try to learn Blender to rig and pose my stuff. I hope these things will be implemented in Medium in future releases.
    But now I think I should try to learn Blender to rig and pose my stuff. I hope these things will be implemented in Medium in future releases.
    To be fair, rigging is probably best left in blender, along with the intermediate retopology step. You probably could work out a way to do this in medium but I reckon it'd be a total pain in the arse (even more so than in blender)
  • duncankellerduncankeller Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
    New sculpt. This one 30min.

Lathe here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/baw535ktnzqej9h/girlcat.mp4
    Ahhh! I love it!!! 
  • AdKiuCMAdKiuCM Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    WOW at some guys. I can already picture new creepy games with models created in Medium.

This shit is soooo intuitive I could not believe it. I played 2h today and made multiple simple sculptures testing tools and options, but didn't save any.

I cannot wait for a similar software for Mechanical Engineers :). Something like SolidWorks in VR with touch.

Also Medium makes me want to by a 3D printer :) Never been so excited about a piece of graphical software.