Post Your First Medium Sculpts! - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post Your First Medium Sculpts!

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,948 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

I'm amazed at what's being done here... got my Touch yesterday and really just had time to go through the tutorials and have a quick dabble.

Medium is easy to get into but getting exactly what you're imagining in your head if you're used to traditional CAD isn't completely straightforward.

The tools mimic clay sculpting tools but not traditional PC 3D packages. There's no morphing tools, no way to marquee an area and modify by stretch or skew, copy move or rotate, and no object separation, only layers. If you want to move or rotate something, it has to be the whole layer.

As someone who's spent a little time with Blender and a lot or time with Microstation & Graphisoft's ArchiCAD... I'm going to have to spend more time with this... but Medium is fun, so you really do want to spend time playing with it!!

So anyway, I just wanted to say I now have a LOT of respect for what's being produced in this thread. You guys really have skills.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,701 Valuable Player
    I think CAD probably resembles more the polygon-modelling part of modern 3d packages, whereas medium is more like the sculpting component. Two totally different (if complementary) workflows. As someone who naturally gravitates more toward sculpting than modelling, I found touch to be totally liberating, it's like the shackles of interface have been lifted and it's just me and the gloop and a bunch of tools which are similar but different to the ones I'm used to. There's been a bit of learning curve as I relearn how to use these familiar tools in a VR context but my guess is that sculpting people will have a much easier time of it than modelling people.
    edited December 2016

You're probably right @P3nT4gR4m ; I think people who've spent a lot of time with CAD may have to untrain themselves a bit. Especially if they're over a certain age like myself!

....I'm off to have another play with it now :)

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    With cad/poly modelling, it's all about directly manipulating the underlying geometry at vertex/edge/face level whereas digital sculpting is more about pretending the underlying geometry isn't there. Digital scultping further divides into multiresolution (where the mesh stays intact but can be subdivided or collapsed to achieve desired level of detail) and dynamic topology where polys are added on the fly, behind the scenes to conform to whatever size of tool you're using.

These two modes feel very different in practice, with multires feeling more limited and constrained to the base mesh and dynamic more freeform. Medium feels kinda like a weird mix of them both. It's freeform as hell but you're still constrained by the resolution. My advice if coming from a modelling/cad background would be to let go of what's going on in the background and just go with the illusion ;)

I think ideally there will be a convergence of the two types of sculpting. There's no reason not to have a morphing tool with marquee/masking ability. I'd also like the ability to better adjust the strength of the tool being used... not just the size and feather rate.

Having said that, these are early days and I'm really excited for what this will become... this is a program I can see myself spending a lot of time immersed in, to the extent that I'm probably going to have to move my PC out of this tiny office room and into the living room much sooner than I'd planned.

The risk of including too much is the package becomes complicated and cumbersome and a serious barrier to entry. When I started using Blender I was about a week and change just figuring out where all the buttons were and what bit went where before I could even sculpt a basic thing. Meanwhile I could load up Sculptris and have a hipoly, detailed sculpt in 30 mins to an hour. Reason being, Sculptris does nothing but dynamic mesh sculpting. I don't need to worry about UV's I don't need to worry about polygons, edge loops, normals, rigs and armatures and rendering pipelines and baking and the rest. I just grab a ball and start smooshing it about.

Granted masking would be awesome (In sculpting, paint-on seems to work better than marquee) and I really miss my snake-hook (even through my clay tool seems to be pretending it's a snake hook now), there's a lot of stuff that would be cool additions but, until v2 rolls around, there's enough here to take care of serious sculpting business in the meantime.
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Two I started last night, and just finished... not 100% happy with the bear one, but what the heck.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • threedprofthreedprof Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    has anyone tried exporting their Medium models and used them for normal map projection onto a game-ready model?  If so, i'd love to hear how easy/difficult the process was
  • gilloutegilloute Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    My second sculpt, way better than the first one! DBZ inspired dragon :smile:
  • gilloutegilloute Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    DBZ dragon finished :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @rnbw holy shit man that's amazing!! I'm working on my third sculpt at the moment! :) 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    rnbw said:
    Ok, so this is actually my third, but I dont have any pictures of my two first .
    Spent the entire day in Medium, my hand is sore.
    Are you for real?!? OMG.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited December 2016
    Stamps are the new coolest thing in the world!

Mask.jpg 162.5K
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    @danknugz Awesome, thats exactly what i was expecting you to make  :D