Arizona Sunshine — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Arizona Sunshine

So I just finished my first playthrough of Arizona Sunshine. 

Quite possibly the most fun I had in a shooting game with motion controllers to date.
Additionally also the first time I didn't absolutely completely hate teleportation. 

The campaign is of a decent length and it's a nice balance between slightly more frantic gameplay and a slower pace where you can line up your shots and enjoy seeing the giblets fly. 

I would love to replay the campaign again in co-op mode so if anyone is interested in that let me know (I'm in the UK btw)

now I realise the game would change mechanically if free movement was implemented as it would be easier to avoid Fred but I would still have liked to see the option. 

I can only hope that one day (soon) we will see more games with free movement. I finished several playthrough of Half-life 2 when it worked with the DK2 and never had any issues.

So massive thanks to the devs for a great game and would like to see more like that.
(non-PVP shooters, preferably with a free movement option) 

Comments

• maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501

Quite possibly the most fun I had in a shooting game with motion controllers to date.
    Additionally also the first time I didn't absolutely completely hate teleportation. 

The campaign is of a decent length and it's a nice balance between slightly more frantic gameplay and a slower pace where you can line up your shots and enjoy seeing the giblets fly. 

I would love to replay the campaign again in co-op mode so if anyone is interested in that let me know (I'm in the UK btw)

now I realise the game would change mechanically if free movement was implemented as it would be easier to avoid Fred but I would still have liked to see the option. 

I can only hope that one day (soon) we will see more games with free movement. I finished several playthrough of Half-life 2 when it worked with the DK2 and never had any issues.

So massive thanks to the devs for a great game and would like to see more like that.

How long did the campaign take to finish? Really interested in this one...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • EbonyknightEbonyknight Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    I was set to get it until I saw a review say it can take as little as 5 hours. I think it was a pre-release review, so that might have changed.  Looks and plays fantastic, but for me that's too big a price tag for that.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I thought it was pretty average, did not like teleporting found that quite disorientating & the 180 limitation of the rift sucks in this game. Graphics are a bit rough as well even with everything on full. I don't understand how in some games it can look great then others it just looks untidy.  
    Project 2501
    You probably can switch the game to 360 no?
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Its not the game, you are limited to 180 in touch with 2 sensors. 
    Project 2501
    Just set it up like this and you are good to go:

• CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    maxpare79 said:

How long did the campaign take to finish? Really interested in this one...
    5 hours sounds about right. Maybe a bit longer or shorter, it's hard to keep track of time when you are enjoying a VR experience. 

If I take into account the option for co-op campaign play and the various difficulty levels I think it's worth the price. 
    For example, I also really enjoy IEYTD but that game is disgustingly short for it's price tag. 
    Neo
    maxpare79 said:
    You probably can switch the game to 360 no?
    Yeah, the game does 360 natively and does it well.
    You will miss your 3rd sensor at some points due to controller occlusion. 

but to be honest, I actually played 1 level just sitting down using the thumbstick to rotate when I needed to rotate more than was comfortable sitting down. Quite relaxing.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    I'll be using two in opposing corners till next week when the third sensor comes so I can play Arizona Sunshine immediately. Sounds like it might be a intimidate refund though. Apparently the aliasing is god awful.  
    Neo
    I'll be using two in opposing corners till next week when the third sensor comes so I can play Arizona Sunshine immediately. Sounds like it might be a intimidate refund though. Apparently the aliasing is god awful.  
    Didn't notice anything being god awful, too busy having fun shooting zombies in the face.

3Jane
    Kind of hard to miss shimmering and aliasing.  Nothing is THAT mind blowing.
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    Then maybe you heard wrong about the aliasing?
    Neo
    Well, then I didn't have any issues with either. 
    Apart from a slightly cartoony look (which is fine) I thought it was one of the better titles so far.
  • kaanaslankaanaslan Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Aret the sensor cables long enough to set a 360 degree setup?
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHZ - MSI Z390 GODLIKE Motherboard - EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 - 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHZ Memory - 1 TB Samsung EVO PLUS Series M2 SSD - Corsair H115i Platinum Water Cooler - Phanteks Evolve X Case & 4xML140 Corsair RGB Fan - Corsair HXi 850 PSU - Corsair K70 MK2 Keyboard - Logitech G933 Headset - Logitech G903 Mouse - Oculus Rift S (Preordered)
  • kornykidd0kornykidd0 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Not without USB extensions on at least 1. Mine is working fine with both sensors on extensions, but I can't wait to get my third camera to really fight off occlusion. 
  • kaanaslankaanaslan Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Is there a good extension for the cams? I don't know if I need 2 but at least one extension would be good in case I'd need to use 360 degree setup.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHZ - MSI Z390 GODLIKE Motherboard - EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 - 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHZ Memory - 1 TB Samsung EVO PLUS Series M2 SSD - Corsair H115i Platinum Water Cooler - Phanteks Evolve X Case & 4xML140 Corsair RGB Fan - Corsair HXi 850 PSU - Corsair K70 MK2 Keyboard - Logitech G933 Headset - Logitech G903 Mouse - Oculus Rift S (Preordered)
    3Jane
    Any active 16 foot will probably work. The tricky thing is extensions for the head set.
  • LordQuakeLordQuake Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    Played a few hours of Sunshine last night with a local friend that also bought it - 2 player coop campaign. We both have high end PC's but left everything on defaults as experienced game crash with the ultra settings. The graphics are fine, no shimmering really, was pleasantly surprised. Game itself reminds me of L4D, had great fun opening car doors on the bridge section and sharing out the loot, while picking off the occasional Z as it came too close. Like the way you can pick up hats etc. then put them on. They need to work on the character models as in MP, you both look totally spazzed out.

Along with Dead and Buried this is one of the best MP games for Rift currently.  
    Project 2501
    You are lucky it worked at all @LordQuake, me and a friend were trying to play all night, getting server disconnect every 5 minutes
  • LordQuakeLordQuake Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    @maxpare79, Its very good in multiplayer mode. The teleport movement isn't too much of an issue as the other player appears to jump just a few feet each time (see: Charlton and the Wheelies). There's a few bugs, the player models are bent at comical angles, hope they fix as it's too funny and only the host could see the explosive barrels, made for quite a few laughs; "go stand next to that barrel by the tree", "what barrel?", "the one by the tree", "that tree there?" (points), "yes", "it's just a tree with a rock next to it", "no there's a big red barrel next to it, you're looking at it now", "no I'm looking at a small rock", "it's a pretty big barrel mate, can't really miss it", (looks around in all directions), "I just see this rock here" (points to it). LOL. Also only the host can carry out trigger actions, the mine section is funny; the other player is forced to pick up a small glow stick as their only illumination while the host gets a big torch. Nice.
    Would like to know how many players can jump into a COOP session in MP mode though. Four would be great - a' la L4D.
  • Sarcasmist1Sarcasmist1 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I'd be happy to have a play through with you ...I've not long started the campaign and it's crashed a couple of times at certain points, it's not a hardware issue, i'm fine with specs, so i'm assuming a bug. 
  • Gloom6Gloom6 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Game looks really cool in coop, but I can't seem to find other players. Matchmaking just sits there at "searching for sessions..." but nothing ever happens. Tried to host as well, no difference. Are you all playing coop via the direct-ip option?
    Project 2501
    I finally got it to work in multiplayer BTW....and we realized that the Horde mode scoreboard for the Oculus Home version is a different scoreboard then the Steam Version....I was 15th on the my scoreboard (Home version) and my friend who had a better score then I was like 1000 on the Steam Scoreboard...kinda sucks that the scoreboard aren't linked.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player
    Started the game this friday, and I really like it. But holy crap do I get panicky/uncoordinated when I get cornered by a horde. I can't count the times I accidentially pressed the OH button instead of dropping the empty clip :blush:

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Gloom6 said:
    Game looks really cool in coop, but I can't seem to find other players. Matchmaking just sits there at "searching for sessions..." but nothing ever happens. Tried to host as well, no difference. Are you all playing coop via the direct-ip option?

NerveGear
    Add me gloom6 ... I'll play it with you ... so long as it runs smoothly. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player
    Any of you guys experienced strong lighting/shadow flickering in the scene where you gather the 3 bombs? REALLY distracting! :angry:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • RuptureGamesRuptureGames Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Add me gloom6 ... I'll play it with you ... so long as it runs smoothly. 
    Wildt said:
    Any of you guys experienced strong lighting/shadow flickering in the scene where you gather the 3 bombs? REALLY distracting! :angry:
    I just picked this game up and I'm looking for another rift user to co-op it with.  Shoot me a friend invite if you're down! 
    Neo
    Wildt said:
    Yes, I remember on one playthrough this happened. Didn't seem to happen on another playthrough so not sure what's going on there.
  • BlastaMastaBlastaMasta Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    Yep, I noticed that same glitch in the same spot, still didn't detract me from shooting Fred's in the face. Commentary in this game is what elevated it above average IMHO.