cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Contact: That Ready Player One Feeling

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
I want more from First Contact!   I was an 80's kid, and that first little tutorial / experience poked so hard at my nostalgia.  It was like being put in a scene from an 80's movie.  Can't stop thinking about it.  Similar feeling to when I read Ready Player One.  It didn't necessarily take me "back," it took me diagonally.  It was more like how I remember the 80's through my favorite movies. 
Also, very impressed with visuals.  Those reflective star stickers on the zapper, man.  Such a tiny detail that I couldn't stop looking at.  Nicely done whoever worked on that. 

It's probably very unlikely, but I'd love to see it fleshed out in some way into a game or larger experience.  

8 REPLIES 8

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
I'd say a First contact was directly influenced by Ready Player One.
I had the exact same feeling when I saw it.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
I really enjoyed First Contact. When I first put my hand into one of the monitors I couldn't stop giggling and messing around with them. Such a satisfying sound that was.

danknugz
Superstar
i kept trying to shoot the rockets through the skylight 

what an experience! well done for sure.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer

danknugz said:

i kept trying to shoot the rockets through the skylight 

what an experience! well done for sure.

Ha, yeah, I was trying to do the same until I realized it wasn't open.  😉 

CrashFu
Consultant
I was sad that I couldn't find anything that would accept the various VHS tapes littered about.  Particularly the one labelled "Starlight", which I am about 90% sure is a reference to underrated modern cartoon "Star vs. the Forces of Evil"?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer
I need to try it again tomorrow. I missed a lot whilst just goofing off trying all the 3d printer "floppies" lol

Marrukkah
Expert Protege

Yes! That! exactly that! Thats exactly what I was thinking when first trying the touch. It has Ready Player Written all over, the attention to details is really amazing.

OneQuickSix
Protege
I KNOW this is a super-necro-post, but ...

I just got a Rift and this experience was A-MAZ-ING!!  Blew me away, also I think I did everything and looked at everything possible in that environment (like just existing in there, actually), and you guys missed out on some things Unless they were updated/changed within the last three years -- entirely possible.
  • The skylight IS open and you CAN shoot the nerf arrows out of it, even bank them out and even hit the dish.  I never could get a rocket out, but not sure it is impossible.  Not enough patience here.
  • You CAN watch any of the VHS tapes.  The monitor on the right ... just slide them in.  A couple are really funny.  The one you mentioned I think is the most annoying as it is just a ~two second loop of an animation.
  • The things you can do with the little rubber balls is amazing, and the detail there.  Also the interaction of multiple objects, and shooting the butterflies, etc.  
  • I love that you can pick up the nerf arrows after shooting them (like on the ceiling or a monitor, etc.) and how the robot reacts when you stick one to his face.