New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Non-resumable downloading structure has been undermining Oculus' market share seriously

newage126newage126 Posts: 10
NerveGear
Hi Oculus, as known the NON-resumable online downloading structure of Oculus home, updates as well as APPs is the only way that users may approch it. However, the connection is not necessarliy unimpeded or fast enough in every country/area. The volume of 1GB download is a minor issue back is US, but it could be horrible when users in China spend a whole night or even a couple of days to download them. Please think about adding the resumable function to your downloads. The dificulty has been stopping many consumers buying Oculus there, you yourself would also choose HTC after the terrible experience of downloading one APP then stopped due to unstable internet connection and retry again over and over. Resumable download is a fundamental customer support, you make players a easy way you get the return of goodwill. Resumable download please!!!

Comments

  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    You may not have heard about this issue as this has been one of the points that people were encouraged to buy HTC Vive or SONY PSVR in the local forums, this is really a market killer.  Oculus please pay attention.

  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    newage126 said:
    Hi Oculus, as known the NON-resumable online downloading structure of Oculus home, updates as well as APPs is the only way that users may approch it.
    Most downloads are resumable, they restart from where they finished.  If you you downloaded of 2 of 4 gigs and then restart it then you have 2 of 2 gigs left to download and the progress meter starts at 0%.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I fail to see how this issue (which isn't factually correct) has

    "been undermining Oculus' market share"

    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    elboffor said:
    I fail to see how this issue (which isn't factually correct) has

    "been undermining Oculus' market share"


    The truth is HTC doesn't have this annoying issue, nor microsoft updates or many others...   When more and more people tend to choose HTC, don't u think that Oculus was losing the share?
  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    newage126 said:
    elboffor said:
    I fail to see how this issue (which isn't factually correct) has

    "been undermining Oculus' market share"


    The truth is HTC doesn't have this annoying issue, nor microsoft updates or many others...   When more and more people tend to choose HTC, don't u think that Oculus was losing the share?
    I meant particular regions where the internet connection is limited and people reach Oculus through VPN
  • koukonkoukon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    UP
  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    TwoHedWlf said:
    newage126 said:
    Hi Oculus, as known the NON-resumable online downloading structure of Oculus home, updates as well as APPs is the only way that users may approch it.
    Most downloads are resumable, they restart from where they finished.  If you you downloaded of 2 of 4 gigs and then restart it then you have 2 of 2 gigs left to download and the progress meter starts at 0%.
    Not applicable for the Oculus Home i.e. runtime update yet.
  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    thanks guys, have figured it out, the download is resumable now, was mislead by those old threads.
  • newage126newage126 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    newage126 said:
    TwoHedWlf said:
    newage126 said:
    Hi Oculus, as known the NON-resumable online downloading structure of Oculus home, updates as well as APPs is the only way that users may approch it.
    Most downloads are resumable, they restart from where they finished.  If you you downloaded of 2 of 4 gigs and then restart it then you have 2 of 2 gigs left to download and the progress meter starts at 0%.
    Not applicable for the Oculus Home i.e. runtime update yet.
    thanks guys, have figured it out, the download is resumable now, was mislead by those old threads.
  • errataerrata Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Can confirm Oculus home downloads are not always resumable as of December 2019. I have been trying to download oculus home from China for an entire day and have had it restart from the beginning 4-5 times with my VPN connection dropping every few hours. I think once it managed to resume from about 3GB but the connection dropped before it completed. Keep in mind bandwidth here can fluctuate from 3MB a second to 30KB a second. An option to do a normal resumable file download in the browser rather than using this installer would make things a lot easier.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,311 Valuable Player
    Same here, my rig is in the basement and the signal may be weak. - There have been countless times where I wanted to download something during the night only to find out the download has stopped during the night and everything has been idle for hours, because I need to restart manually. This never happens with Steam. It's no big deal with smaller games and apps, but big things like Asgard's Wrath may be a giant problem if you do not have very stable internet connection. But changing to HTC? - No way ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
Sign In or Register to comment.