Touch controller spinning/spiraling out from real hand.. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch controller spinning/spiraling out from real hand..

NikorasuNikorasu Posts: 101
Art3mis
edited December 2016 in Support
Every once in a while, maybe every 5-10 minutes or so, even when in view of both cameras, I've noticed one of my hands, usually the left hand, but sometimes the right too, will start spinning/vibrating a bit, which gets worse over the next couple seconds, until the virtual hand/controller is violently spiraling around where my real hand is positioned. Then, after another couple seconds, it pops back to normal and stops, till it happens again a little later.

At first I noticed it in Medium, cause I spent a few hours in that, but I just noticed it in Home too, so now I know it happens across everything. :(

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I'd recommend contacting support: https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Are your sensors getting enough power? Maybe one of them is dropping out or the controller itself is faulty.
  • NikorasuNikorasu Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    Well, I've heard from a couple other people, that have also noticed this happen.. but yeah, maybe I should.
    I originally posted this in the Medium forum, cause it kept happening when I was using that app, but I think that's just cause how long I was using it for. And because other people using Medium also tend to spend a lot of time in it, a couple other people noticed it happening too.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/45967/odd-touch-controller-tracking-bug

Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    I mean, it makes me feel a little better, knowing other people are noticing this too.. But I'm still a little worried about this, cause on delivery, my Touch box was tossed rather violently off the UPS truck, couple box corners dented in a bit, and things were a bit ajar inside the package, tho everything seems to work fine at first glance. :/ Hopefully that has nothing to do with it. It works great the rest of the time.
    I'm gonna try restarting, and re-running the full setup/calibration again, see if maybe that helps.
    Also, I messaged support, hopefully they have a solution.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That's not normal. It's certainly possible it's some sort of defect, but I wouldn't rule out an issue on the computer (for example, low USB bandwidth). Best to contact Oculus Support so we have a record. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • xyphicxyphic Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I'm having similar issues. Mine manifests as a degradation of tracking of the right hand over time. I've mostly been playing Eleven: Table Tennis VR which is a SteamVR game, and it starts happening after around 30 minutes of game time. I don't think mine is an issue with low USB bandwidth, as I've tried various configurations including ensuring the two sensors are on different USB controllers.

The problem persists into Oculus Home and any games launched from there. It seems to go away if I rerun the sensor setup. I've raised a support ticket with these details and a set of log files as per one of the other threads.
    Art3mis
    That's not normal. It's certainly possible it's some sort of defect, but I wouldn't rule out an issue on the computer (for example, low USB bandwidth). Best to contact Oculus Support so we have a record. Thanks.
    I contacted support earlier today. Also I posted the logs you asked for in the other thread:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/464457/#Comment_464457

OK, thanks. I will share this with the team to see if we can find anything. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PKRipperPKRipper Posts: 174
    Art3mis
    I had it tonight during dead and buried, looked like I had parkinsons for a second but I moved my hand and it stopped
    CPU: i7-4790k
    SSD: Samsung EVO 1TB
    SSD: PNY SSD240GB
    Graphics Card: GTX 1070
    A bunch of parts that make the magic happen!
  • ThugThug Posts: 428
    Trinity
    I have had it, but thought it may have been if my hand had just gone out of sight of the sensor, but couldn't confirm it as I had my HMD on.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • brandonmore80brandonmore80 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've had it happen too. Usually happens after around half an hour of play. The hand model starts to spiral around its anchor point, then stops after a couple seconds. After it happens the tracking on that controller seems diminished until I re-sync the controller by holding down the "b" and "oculus" buttons for a couple sec. 
    I think we may have found the issue but, just to be safe, can you all upload your log files? Thanks.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
  • SanbornSanborn Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    @cybereality is the found issue also going to fix track warping away from real hand position and snapping back?
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 213
    Nexus 6
    There are a couple issues related to tracking we are looking at now. Some have been fixed, some are still under investigation. It's hard to say what's what yet, but fixes are in the works. Thanks.
    Well, thats good news I guess! You guys are making progress regarding stability and quality. Thanks for your efforts!
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    I noticed this in 11 as well, right hand starts to go after half hour, I was also sure i was having problems in other games but also the tracking is somewhat glitchy even after sensor setup & will stick slightly even when in full view. I now have 3 sensors & there is no improvement.  
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,109
    3Jane
    I'm hoping this will be fixed before Friday when my controllers arrive. If so  I guess that's the bright side of being late to the party.
  • markcmillermarkcmiller Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Noticed the same issue using 2 sensor front setup along with 2 sensor 360 experimental. My left hand seemed to hold up fine but the right hand would snap and float away.

I've gotten my 3rd sensor in today, got it all setup with 360 layout and still am getting the same drift on the right hand. Seems more noticable after playing for a little bit, noticed it a bunch in Dead and Buried tonight. Seemed worse after 45 minutes of gameplay, didn't matter where I was positioned and only affected the right hand. Even swapping left and right hands positions didn't help the right hand just didn't want to pay nice.

Verified with a cellphone camera that all 24 IR LEDs are working fine on both left and right, verified sensors all showed good and tracking was working great.

@cybereality adding log files here to keep it in this discussion on right hand drift issue. Thanks.
  • SanbornSanborn Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Glad to hear there are multiple fixes rolling @cybereality
  • DefectusDefectus Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I've also had this issue. But I didn't have it the first couple of days. I was having an issue that the sensors was out of wireless sync. So I tried updating the inateck drivers. The wirelsess sync issue was resolved. But I think thats when the drifting problem started to appear. Especially when i have my hands close to the floor. And it seems that this is related to another problem, at times my head glitches and my height is different after that. My height is 10 cm closer to the floor after that. It happens quite frequently. So when i try to touch the floor with my hand, the hand goes through the floor because my height is wrong.
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    I'm hoping this will be fixed before Friday when my controllers arrive. If so  I guess that's the bright side of being late to the party.

Lol, but I'd like to see it done right rather than done quick ;-)

And it is not as bad as you might think. Not everybody seems to be affected to the same degree... just to add some observations...

One time I noticed after putting the controllers on the desk (upon finishing gaming) I could see them floating in Oculus Home at their virtual position. However, the height of one of them was totally off. But as soon as I took it in my hand, it snapped into position and tracking was seemingly fine. Laying it back down it seemed to "fall" too far so it again appeared at the wrong height / too low.

Also sometimes one of them doesnt show up in VR (ableit I pressed a button before to switch it on) while resting on the desk. Only after I grab it, it appears in VR (Oculus Home).

Then, one time after starting PC and lauchning a game, controller tracking was jittery and unprecise, becoming worse with time - just unusuable. I reset the sensor tracking and after that it worked again.

Thats the only incidents I remember so far.

Aside from this (usually) I could use them for an hour in a row without noticable issues.

Greets!

• sw33tp34sw33tp34 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have a similar issue, with the added problem of Guardian shifting a foot to the right mid game.  It has happened on stream twice.  I check it and its against the wall, then its 12-18'' to the right of the right wall so i hit my hand.
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    sw33tp34 said:
    I have a similar issue, with the added problem of Guardian shifting a foot to the right mid game.  It has happened on stream twice.  I check it and its against the wall, then its 12-18'' to the right of the right wall so i hit my hand.
    That seems like a different issue. Are your cameras secure, and unmovable where you've placed them? That sounds like one of them gets nudged or wiggled, like if my cat bumps one (which is why they're tapped down now). Did you try remapping the Guardian area out again?
    You should send Oculus support a message about it, sounds like something they'd need to help with.
    Neo
    Here is my log file, but i still suspect its down to limitations of the hardware. 
    Nexus 6
    nrosko said:
    Here is my log file, but i still suspect its down to limitations of the hardware. 
    You reported glitchy/sticky tracking with one hand compelely off after half an hour.  You may have a defective unit, you may have a somewhat special or strange sensor setup or you may be suffering from software bugs.... but what you reported is certainly not something caused by general "limitations of the hardware".
  • Moon920Moon920 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I'm not too thrilled about the overall tracking quality.  I wouldn't say it's bad, just not great.  I feel spoiled after trying the Vive, that was some truly flawless tracking.  Now if someone could make the Oculus Rift and Touch work with the Vive lighthouses, we'd really have something.  I ordered a 3rd Oculus sensor, I really hope tracking improves.  Tracking glitches are most noticeable for me in the archery level of The Lab.  Sometimes my bow would just flip sideways.
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    yeh my right controller and left are taking on minds of their own in medium mostly im constantly in view of both sensors but these things are annoying.. I hope reflective stuff doesnt interfere.. also i hope monitor leds or tv leds dont interfere either.. as i have noticed if you wave the controllers near a tv or monittor tracking gets sketchy at best. hope we dont need to wait much longer for a fix and also hope that soon oculus get out of beta its about time we had a proper friends contact interface in home.
    Neo
    nrosko said:
    You reported glitchy/sticky tracking with one hand compelely off after half an hour.  You may have a defective unit, you may have a somewhat special or strange sensor setup or you may be suffering from software bugs.... but what you reported is certainly not something caused by general "limitations of the hardware".
    yeah i have reported it, its probably a bit of both, I think the way the tracking just glitches slightly even when in clear view of 2 cameras & then gets worse over time is a software/hardware issue but i also think that the sensors have poor range I almost feel i need 8 of them to cover the 3d space. I've tried to find some info on the angles they cover but there isn't much info & i'm just pointed to the setup pdf. 
    Nexus 6
    That is strange. I have complained myself about poor range as I was getting distance wobble starting about 1,5m from the sensor... in a single sensor setup.

That was solved immefiatly with the second sensor that came with touch. Then again my play area isnt that big... about 2,5 x 2,5m. Maybe a bit smaller. But I have the feeling the HMD cable wouldnt allow for much more anyway.
    In the meantime I added a 3rd sensor and generally feel the tracking to be perfect.
    There were a few incidents I wrote about earlier and I hope those get fixed but generally tracking is good for me. No interim snapping, jittering or anything.

So far I tried first contact, fully played through superhot and multiple times through bullet train, briefly tried ripcoil, dead & buried, vr sports challenge and quill.

I observed no persistent or general faults that would be caused by general inablity of the hardware.

Using extensions on the HMD cable to utilize bigger playspaces however, I could see the optical tracking come to its limits quickly....
  • markcmillermarkcmiller Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Mine are ceiling mounted in opposing corners mounted on the bottom of my lighthouse trackers (lighthouses are unplugged while using Rift Sensors) aimed down at the 3mx2.5m (was using 2 sensor 360 setup before third sensor arrived). Third camera is in front corner ala the guide for 3 sensor 360. Tracking space seems perfect testing in Toy Box and the sensor setup screen for the field works without issue, adjusting playspace in headset in setup automatically places circle in center of playspace with excellent 360 tracking of controllers testing. Games like Dead and Buried work great 360 for 45+ minutes, just seems at some point the right hand decides to drift randomly. Verified all 24 IR LEDs are operating fine on both controllers with a smartphone camera.

I'm point to possible handoff issues or the fact that 2 corner opposing cameras are ceiling mounted, front right camrea is on a desk aimed out at a different height then the opposing corners. Possibly a calculation issue with different sensor height causing some discrepancy between two cameras tracking causing the floating / drift we see. Hopefully logs and us detailing setup / issue will help make some tweaks.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,110
    Wintermute
    edited December 2016
    Just a word or 2 to react at a remark : Yes, reflective surfaces influence badly those new technology (Lighthouses and Constellations sensor), and that's expected. It's very difficult to prevent this to happen, and very difficult to avoid in our modern environment. I experimented this with a window in my office where the unique sensor was diagonally opposed to the window (imagine a line from sensor=>me=>window) and I had to move the sensor the other side of my monitor to avoid screen jumping. Also, a candle which was burning behind me made the screen jumping several times per minutes. That's logical if you think about it, candle must emit dancing IR light, reflection create a position which don't exist, etc. Computing the fact than a device is detected as a symmetry so it's a reflection and sensors must ignore it could have been really process intensive. I don't think Vive/Oculus track those kind of cases, or from a very basic algorithm...

Edit: and BTW, Cybereality confirmed in another thread they found some bugs which can explain the spiral problem some touch meet, and they still investigate for other problems, and they will provide a fix when possible.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1