cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing resolution reduces stamp size

jtelfer
Protege
Is this by design? When increasing the resolution of a layer the size of stamps in the tool is reduced compared to any previously placed stamps. After only a couple of resolution increases it can become impossible to increase the size of a stamp to match ones already placed.
8 REPLIES 8

bhsharp
Protege
The maximum size of your tool is measured in voxels; when you increase resolution it's also scaling that layer down to keep the clay visually in the same place, but yeah, that means your max tool size gets smaller.

There's someone else in another thread who was asking why when they made their brush really big and moved it around it only placed a few times a second... so these are the two sides of that coin. If we let you make the tool arbitrarily bigger in voxel space, it becomes less and less responsive.

Anyway, yeah, what you're seeing is an intentional tradeoff between sculpting perf and tool size.

Wuestefeld
Protege
Otherwise, sometimes it would be good to have the opurtunity for a big Stamp. Because sometimes you just want to make one single object. And it´s sad to do in low resolution and have to scale in afterwards.

ozelon
Protege
I agree with stamp size being a limiting factor. I would love to be able to increase it indefinitely even if that means that they are blurry if used at a bigger scale.

Somewhat related:
I generally found that going too crazy with "resolution" becomes an issue with performance. Using stamps for sculpting at "higher resolution" slows down my PC quite a bit which is pretty powerful (CPU, Ram). I wonder if upgrading my GPU would solve that though, does anybody know? I have a GTX 970 right now.

jayhawk
Superstar

ozelon said:

I agree with stamp size being a limiting factor. I would love to be able to increase it indefinitely even if that means that they are blurry if used at a bigger scale.

Somewhat related:
I generally found that going too crazy with "resolution" becomes an issue with performance. Using stamps for sculpting at "higher resolution" slows down my PC quite a bit which is pretty powerful (CPU, Ram). I wonder if upgrading my GPU would solve that though, does anybody know? I have a GTX 970 right now.

If you wanted to get more serious about modeling there are cards specifically catered to it. Nvidia Quadro and AMD Firepro series. Down side is they aren't good gaming cards. Going to guess upgrading your (gaming) gpu just for that wouldn't be worth the cost for the results.

ozelon
Protege
Thanks jayhawk. I need a gaming GPU though as I'm a game artist 😄 

I assume that gaming GPU are also better at all real time rendering engines. I think Vray and makes use of them??? Not quite sure.

Sorry for high jacking your thread jtelfer.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Usually a kickass GPU would fix everything but with Medium using voxels, it's all down to processor and ram. Upgrading your GPU right now would not help with hires stamping lag in Medium. That's all happening on the other side of your motherboard. I recently upgraded my ram from 16 to 32 gigs. Just for medium. Still get lag on big hires scribbling but boy can I go crazy with layers and resolution compared to a couple of weeks ago when I was getting constant low memory nags.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
I agree with Wuestefeld. There's currently no other way to bring two models together, unless you make one of them a stamp. The resolution limitation makes that impractical. This makes it basically impossible to re-use a scene or a backdrop or a character.

Is model importing in the works for the near future?

Anonymous
Not applicable
The limitation is even visible with some of the default-provided stamps, like the human body parts: at their maximum size, some are smaller than others. For example if you start with a torso at the max size, it's impossible to make the legs large enough for them to look correct!