Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

13»

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,787 Valuable Player
    The only way I could put a full meter between me and the walls surrounding me would be to take this thing to the park and set it up under a ramada.  Or maybe set it up outside in the back yard.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Thmoas said:
    You guys should check the Guardian schematics for setup a little better. Between the Guardian wall and real objects you need to leave at least one meter. Guardian will popup whenever an object gets close. If your hands get close, still having one meter untill you reach an object is fine IMO.
    If I left a meter from the borders of my space to the Guardian walls, I would have a negative-sized playspace.
    Step into the shadow realm for the most immersive VR experience yet!

Marrukkah said:

Bumped mine into a cupboard while playing superhot, no scratch or anything; then my best mate tried it and dented it against the same cupboard (thank you protective ring) then my nephew tried it and what do you know, nice scratch on my right Touch... Guardian is set up OK and everything but some people really get carried away way too much and start flailing like headless poultry. Luckily everything still works like a charm :) Excellent and sturdy design guys

I just feel like I need to point out that the "protective ring" isn't actually a protective ring, but the housing for your tracking leds.

It's main purpose is not to absorb hits and save you from scraped knuckles.
    It's pretty good at that secondary function, though.

Way I see it is those LEDs probably aren't as delicate as other, more crucial components are, and if they're the only electronics running through the outer ring then it's mostly just plastic, so..  yeah, better that ring take the impact than anything else.

Naturally, if we could all stop punching non-virtual objects altogether that would be much better, but in the meantime I'm just glad for the ring :lol:

Side Note:   If you're playing Dead & Buried, you may want to note that while the "Barbed Wire" barrier effect is less obtrusive than the Guardian walls  (and forms a nice, clean square within your guardian parameters)  it will only pop-up based on headset / body proximity, NOT Touch controller proximity.    If you've drawn your guardian parameters recklessly close to real-world objects and have long, lanky arms like I do, you could very well end up smacking something without realizing you were near the edge of the play-space, if you have the Guardian Walls off.

(Perhaps in the future they'll patch the game to have the barbed-wire come up based on Touch proximity, too) 
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    PIXELATED said:
    Read this thread earlier & thought 'no way am I going to hit anything'..

Wrong!!!  I just fired up VR Sports challenge, hit a baseball and the left touch caught the desk, came off my hand and disappeared somewhere in the room.  So... two noises; (one louder than the other) desk and wall and I still couldn't find the touch controller.
    I never thought I would hit anything either, but I did anyway. You think you got it under control and suddenly while your lost in the heat of the virtual moment... Bang!.. Whoops.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    I got a little over zealous tonight and slammed my right controller into my overhead fan's light cover while shooting some hoops. Now it has a good scratch like OP's pic.  Not long after, I was playing another game and the right controller started flickering and drifting while at my side.  When I put my left controller there in the same position, no such problems, so I don't think it is occlusion related.  This is the first time I've experienced this, so I'm not sure if it sustained damage or not.  I plan on checking out the LEDs with an IR filter tomorrow to make sure they are all ok.  I have a 3 cam system active right now.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    @kevink808 It's probably fine, remove the battery and re-pair it.  I've hit my controller into the ceiling so hard it completely lost the link to the computer.  I had to take out the battery and put it back in, then re-connect it.  It worked perfectly.  I have since moved the computer into a room with more space and now I have more room space than I have rift cord.  These controllers may be built great but I can't keep smashing $200 controllers into walls and ceilings.  Now I don't hit anything.
    3Jane
    Thanks, I'll try that and report back.  I used a digital camera on night mode and confirmed all IR leds are fine.  Agree on the controllers!  Especially since they are left/right, they need to start selling single replacements soon!
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Bowling in NewRetroArcade:Neon.
    Do not face yourself towards a desk. Straight on the edge.
    Luckily my thumb broke the impact  o:)
    Mace404 said:
    Bowling in NewRetroArcade:Neon.
    Do not face yourself towards a desk. Straight on the edge.
    Luckily my thumb broke the impact  o:)
    Ouch!  On the plus, you could probably check your pulse by just feeling the throbbing pain....
    3Jane
    falken76, I tried what you suggested and re-paired the controller. Works great now! Thanks. 
    no problem, I'm glad you got it working again  :)
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    Í am going to play VR outside now. I have banned myself from playing inside.
    NOw that Health and Safety Warning finally makes sense. =D
  • eightbitTacoeightbitTaco Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I ended up punching my wall while playing Superhot. This was entirely my fault as I forgot to set up Guardian again after I moved one of the sensors  :D
    CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan
  • DavidCDavidC Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Playing the Climb and smacking the lampshade above me as I reached to grab a rock.

Yesterday I managed to smack a wall and punch the monitor in Ripcoil. So far no damage to the touch or monitor. I definitely need a larger playspace.
    3Jane
    Man, last night I punched my closet doors and walls playing Superhot.  Now my controllers are both marked up and one has a bunch of white paint on it that I can't get off.  I have to shrink my guardian mapping away from the walls because in a game like Superhot, you get so immersed in the game you don't see the boundaries in time to check your strikes!
  • eightbitTacoeightbitTaco Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I let my nephew try out the Rift + Touch with Superhot this past Saturday night. I tried explaining to him that time only moves when you move and to take it slow, but he did not heed my warning.

He immediately freaked out and got spooked. This led to him running into my walls multiple times and to knock over some wall art along the way. By night's end, he had cut his heel on an air vent and was morally and physically defeated  :D

(he's fine now)
    CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Oculus Teardown

For any brave souls who don't want to send their 'borked' touch back to Oculus and wait for it to return.

Hope there will be an Oculus spares store in 2017?  Maybe there's an entrepreneur out there who wants to start up a business selling parts or offering repairs. I'd do it if I hadn't already spent all my pocket money (-;

Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    My right controller has two marks already one small scratch and another pain mark near corner.. was me with the corner one when i walloped the wall trying to play the baseball thingy on vr sports. My gf/s sister got carried away and when trying to hit a ping pong ball with the bat she smashed the controllers together.. to be honest she almost tried to do it again.. i had to take them off her before she hurt someone or herself. lol nothing worse when someones using your kit and not listening to what you say because they think they know it all.. lol even trying to explain the grab buttons she wouldnt let go of the grab button to drop an object after me saying 6 times release the trigger she was standing waving her hand up and down trying to drop the thing in her hand instead of letting go the trigger . lol nutjob :)
  • BlasterpartsguyBlasterpartsguy Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Iv punched a vent on the ceiling and grazed a lightbulb so far.