New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Moving "objects" (or layers) independently

CleverCoderCleverCoder Posts: 7
NerveGear
Great stuff... coming from a world of 3D modeling, one of the things I'm missing is the ability to move individual objects around in the scene/world. I've figured out how to switch layers, but how do I move things around? For instance, I'd like to model a few objects in space, then when I'm done, composite them together into something cohesive. Is this possible?

Thank you,
- Sean

Comments

• gilloutegilloute Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I was wondering the same thing yesterday and this morning I saw a reddit comment telling that you have to push the "trigger button" of your right hand when you have selected the layer. I'm not sure about that I will check this evening.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    You need to hold down the left stick (right if you're left handed) to stay in layer mode then it's both grip buttons as normal

Personally I'd prefer the other way around since holding down the stick is a bit fiddly and if I'm working with layers I don't expect them all to scale by default
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was looking for the same. Thank you for the tip. Yes that right trigger works to move the object. :)
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    Plus, if you use the cut tool. The piece cut moves to a new layer, where you can use the mentioned Layer Move to re-orientate. Then merge layers again once happy with the new position... Could come in handy if you've detailed a section, but need to move it slightly...

Also noted, you can rotate the clay stamp by pushing left or right with the size/zoom stick on the tool controller :smile:
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • ker2xker2x Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's explained in the tutorial, but the tutorial is hard to find :dizzy:
    In the home menu left panel, you have a bunch of news, above it you have a tutorial tab and a list of tutorial, including layer managment.
    I did the layers tutorials this avo. I'm generally quite allergic to hand holding turorials but they were relatively painless, short and highly informative
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    You need to hold down the left stick (right if you're left handed) to stay in layer mode then it's both grip buttons as normal

Personally I'd prefer the other way around since holding down the stick is a bit fiddly and if I'm working with layers I don't expect them all to scale by default
    I retract this opinion, on reflection. Weird thing no.1 about vr sculpting is that scaling and zooming is the same freaking thing! When I want to make a part bigger, I'd expect to only scale the layer by default, right? However, if I want to zoom a 2-d viewport, only zooming on a single layer would be weird as hell.

There's no right answer to this. It has to be either/or by default and you guys went one way, which I noticed was out of whack when I needed to go the other. Panic over. Tell the code-monkeys to stand down :D
  • bhsharpbhsharp Posts: 34 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, without going into excessive detail here, we talked a lot about this - what's the paradigm for working on separate things in Medium?

The idea of "Objects" makes sense in a traditional app where you have to take some action to merge objects together, where you can have objects interpenetrating each other that don't merge. We explicitly didn't want people to have to deal with that, hence the surface tech blends together automatically when you just draw clay connecting two separate things. So the "object" distinction isn't as meaningful in Medium because you so regularly separate and merge objects just by adding and cutting clay, and it's good (we think) that it feels so natural.

So we went with Layers instead of Objects; it's like instead of going for Maya we went for Photoshop. And our underlying tech does work in a way that makes layers more natural, since it's a grid you're filling with clay.

It admittedly causes confusion sometimes - see the thread where someone was confused that sculpting with symmetry on worked, but moving things with symmetry didn't move the symmetric clay in the opposite manner (because symmetry just mirrors tool application in the current layer; it's not even meaningful to talk about "mirroring" when you grab and manipulate the sculpt or the active layer.)

Neither is a perfect metaphor - just like objects are more ephemeral in Medium than they are in Max, our "layers" don't work like Photoshop layers in that you don't composite them all together, they don't multiply or mask or add to each other.

Anyway, it's early days and that was the metaphor we ended up going with. Hopefully it's at least easy to get used to, and we can probably do a better job explaining it in the future...
  • ker2xker2x Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    I use the layers for painting, working with different resolution, and mostly to experiment in my sculpture : i add stuff and if it was a bad idea i can just delete/move/hide the layer instead of removing the new stuff using the clay tool. If i'm happy with the result i keep it, or i merge it if i need some smoothing between the 2 objects.
    bhsharp said:
    Yeah, without going into excessive detail here, we talked a lot about this - what's the paradigm for working on separate things in Medium?

The idea of "Objects" makes sense in a traditional app where you have to take some action to merge objects together, where you can have objects interpenetrating each other that don't merge. We explicitly didn't want people to have to deal with that, hence the surface tech blends together automatically when you just draw clay connecting two separate things. So the "object" distinction isn't as meaningful in Medium because you so regularly separate and merge objects just by adding and cutting clay, and it's good (we think) that it feels so natural.

So we went with Layers instead of Objects; it's like instead of going for Maya we went for Photoshop. And our underlying tech does work in a way that makes layers more natural, since it's a grid you're filling with clay.

It admittedly causes confusion sometimes - see the thread where someone was confused that sculpting with symmetry on worked, but moving things with symmetry didn't move the symmetric clay in the opposite manner (because symmetry just mirrors tool application in the current layer; it's not even meaningful to talk about "mirroring" when you grab and manipulate the sculpt or the active layer.)

Neither is a perfect metaphor - just like objects are more ephemeral in Medium than they are in Max, our "layers" don't work like Photoshop layers in that you don't composite them all together, they don't multiply or mask or add to each other.

Anyway, it's early days and that was the metaphor we ended up going with. Hopefully it's at least easy to get used to, and we can probably do a better job explaining it in the future...
    I totally get that. I started really getting into layers tonight and it totally helps not to think of them as objects. You kinda can use them like that but it's a really narrow (dare I say old fashioned, 2-d) approach and would really limit your use of medium. Just like how the stamps can be treated as being the equivalent of 2-d alphas but there's so much more to them than that.

Hats off to you mate, I think you have managed to invent the coolest software ever. I cannot believe how game changing this thing is. I'm still very much learning the basics of sculpting and Medium has got me doing the kind of stuff I was looking at in awe only couple of days ago. It's like my imagination is now directly connected to the medium. Good name, btw :)
  • CleverCoderCleverCoder Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Awesome discussion. Didn't expect such quick feedback! I'm going to test out the tips listed early on. Thank you all. - Sean