Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Comments

• BobpiesBobpies Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    ditto

getting stable tracking with 1 sensor - and wonky tracking with 2.
    sometimes all hell breaks looks and it takes me to another world and leaves my arms behind

will try again tonight and grab the logs if it does it again

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Personally i find it very difficult to get good coverage with these cameras & i think that is half the problem. They struggle if you are too close to a camera, occlusion by body or each other. I have a decent size room & 3 sensors but tracking is lost when going to the floor even in the middle of the room. They seem to have a really narrow field of view compared to the vives. In some games its a major problem as they require you to use room scale they require you to pick stuff off the floor or request you to move you touch close to your body, this is the case with even front facing games as well as games designed for 360. 
  • BCL74BCL74 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I switched all my rift stuff to my GF's computer, and the quick switching/shifting of the world does not seem to occur on it. Very strange but leaves me to believe it is def a pc hardware bug maybe, related to USB in some way. Just for context her PC is an i5 5670k w/ GTX 970 while my PC which was having issues is an i5 6600k w/ 980ti. 
  • djabordjabor Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I've solved this issue locally by going through the setup process and ignoring the camera placement step (just put my arm out straight in front of me and ignored camera position, and clicked the trigger).

For me the issue was as follows:

2 cameras upright: guardian placed correctly, but 'jumpy' tracking
    2 cameras upside down: guardian offset and at an angle, still with jumpy tracking

touch controllers track perfectly.

After the above solution: guardian placed correctly, no more jumpy tracking.

some additional things i've noticed:
    1) in steamvr one of the sensors is represented at a different angle and attitude than in reality).
    2) usb3/2 permutations had no effect on the result
    3) glitchy tracking in my case switched between being placed correctly with guardian being offset and guardian being placed correctly but my position suddenly moving to an incorrect location within the software.
  • beelibeeli Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Thanks djabor, will try your solution tonight. I have the same problem since connecting the second camera for touch. HMD tracking jumping around every few minutes, less in some titles (Super Hot VR, Bullet Train), more often in others (Quill, Google Earth VR). No USB port swapping helped, I even ordered a Inatek USB 3.0 card to distribute the USB load from the mainboard. Disabled USB power management, updated USB drivers to a special "Oculus compatible version", updated mainboard BIOS - nothing really helped. Trying USB 2.0 ports would have been next, as it seems to make it better for some people, but I fear that would make tracking less accurate. Hopefully the setup fix works, or it can be solved by a Oculus software update. Would be nice to play instead of hunting for workarounds.
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    BCL74 said:
    @cybereality some say it could be an issue with imu calibration, is there a way I can get the tool to check, or does that seem incorrect? 
    In Oculus Home at the top choose the cog wheel, then goto Settings.
    On the new page, select Devices and there's a 'Configure Rift' drop down menu where you can choose to Reset Sensor Tracking. This will check your connection and sensors are healthy.

If you want to do the room layout/Guardian again, then in that same drop down select Guardian System
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    djabor said:
    I've solved this issue locally by going through the setup process and ignoring the camera placement step (just put my arm out straight in front of me and ignored camera position, and clicked the trigger).
    Didn't solve it for me unfortunately. Tracking is still jumping around wildly. Log is attached, recurring errors are "Image did not pass the sanity test!  Throwing it away (camera possibly in a bad state)" and "Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175".
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'd actually wonder if this is a hardware failure with one of the sensors. I believe you do need at least 2 sensors to complete the setup. For the people with 3 sensors, can you try unplugging one of the sensors each one at a time (meaning start with only sensor 1 + 2, then 2 + 3, then 3 + 1)? And see if the issue goes away?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Callidus80Callidus80 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    I'd actually wonder if this is a hardware failure with one of the sensors. I believe you do need at least 2 sensors to complete the setup. For the people with 3 sensors, can you try unplugging one of the sensors each one at a time (meaning start with only sensor 1 + 2, then 2 + 3, then 3 + 1)? And see if the issue goes away?
    Thanks for the recommendation @cybereality
    I've just given this a go with my three sensors and I re-calibrated at each point but unfortunately the issue is still there no matter what combination of sensors were connected..
    I've tried different BIOS revisions previous Nvidia drivers, I've disable USB legacy support and xhci and reinstalled Intel USB drivers. I have rebuilt the OS, reinstalled Oculus many times. If anyone has any thing else to try just shout out, I'm willing to try anything now lol.

The only thing I cant try is a previous Intel USB 3.0 driver. Cant seem to find any that are Windows 10 compatible (other than the one the current one that came with the Windows 10 anniversary update 1607)
    NerveGear
    @hollywood thanks. Unfortunately I've done that setup about 100 times during my testing haha. 

@cybereality I don't think it is a sensor failure for me at least, as I mentioned, when I set up the oculus in the exact same spot, same sensors and all, on another PC I did not get these issues. 
  • Gravity1368Gravity1368 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Okay so some good news on my issue that caused this thread. Ive fixed the jumping in my tracking of the Hmd, ended up buying one of the usb pci cards. Now tracking is solid, even got the experimental 360 setup going with just 2 sensors. The space is a little smaller then what I get on the vive but it works fine. The only issue I have now is a little swim but its barely noticeable and I believe a third sensor would remove it, will test tomorrow with a friends cam. 
    Good to know. Thanks for following up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SixMarblesSixMarbles Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I confirm this issue does NOT occur for me when the sensors are placed right-side up, only when placed upside-down. I have experimented with obscuring one sensor, then the other just to be sure. This is excellent news, as it suggests the issue is a software problem. Time to build furniture towers until a fix is released!
  • AJBatsAJBats Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Okay so some good news on my issue that caused this thread. Ive fixed the jumping in my tracking of the Hmd, ended up buying one of the usb pci cards. Now tracking is solid, even got the experimental 360 setup going with just 2 sensors. The space is a little smaller then what I get on the vive but it works fine. The only issue I have now is a little swim but its barely noticeable and I believe a third sensor would remove it, will test tomorrow with a friends cam. 
    This regretably is not the case for me. I'm using the PCI USB card too and it does not solve my jumping problem.
  • XyonixXyonix Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    I was having the sensor positioning glitch and switching my cameras to upright instead of upside down seems to have fixed the issue for me.  Thanks for the tip Leprechaunn, hopefully Oculus fixes this soon though.

Leprechaunn
    said:

here's a video of the sensor placement glitching way off.  Sometimes it works fine but recently it's been happening more frequently.  Does not make it unplayable but I have to play without guardian, which I kinda need. >.<  I have the sensors upside down which I've read can cause issues but I really have no room to put them upright in an optimal position.  Hopefully we'll get a fix or news regarding upside down sensor placement
    For people with upside-down sensors, can you check you received the 1.10.2 update and test your system again to see if the problem went away? There were some bug fixes in there and it's possible it's working now. Thanks.
  • bucheebuchee Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    I have been having the exact same issue as many here. I have 3 sensors mounted to my ceiling and everytime i faced a different sensor the whole image would jump to the left or right depending on where I was facing. I've tried eveyone's suggestions of changing ports, drivers for your usb cards. The ONLY thing that has fixed my issue 100% is from reading BCL74 about the angles of your sensor to be the same. So I measured the tilt angle on each sensor and matching it exactly so that each sensor is tilted 8 cm from the ceiling. I then re-ran sensor tracking. When that was complete I looked to each sensor while wearing the rift and I did not have one single jump or blip. Hope this helps some people out there because it saved me from so much frustration turning to anger.   Now I'm back to happy happy!!!!

Edit: I have the latest oculus update 1.10.2 and I was getting the same jumping/blipping. It wasn't until I measured the sensors and had them on the same tilt angle that things magically disappeared and I had been having these issues since I got the 2nd sensor with touch. I'm going to experiment some more and try changing usb ports to see if it holds or breaks the tracking. Will report back.

Edit 2: Just restarting my computer after all that and it's back to the same jumping/blipping as before. SMH. 
    NerveGear
    The hmd jumping is back for me as well since the update. (opposing upside down ceiling mounted) Doesn't happen every time I face a different sensor like before, but it is happening. I've also been trying a 3 cam setup but the third cam reintroduces the Hmd jumping, no matter the usb configuration. Would love to get a 3 sensor setup going because the tracking on the controllers is great but this problem with the world shifting in the hmd makes it unusable.   
    NerveGear
    logs
  • dugthefreshestdugthefreshest Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I find this interesting.  Was going great with 2. Playing job sim and and just about everything was great besides turning around.  I thought the 3rd sensor would solve this.  But unfortunately, made it worse.  Super jagged tracking, and now the setup won't recognize the touchs
    It's actually the LogGatherer zip file we need. Also, when you post your logs, just add a brief note about your setup and the problem you are having. Thanks.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    NerveGear
    @cyberreality I really think this is a usb issue. I mentioned I moved everything to another computer and the issue subsided. The thing is, when I switched the USB ports on the 2nd computer, the issue came back. When I moved them back to the ports they were at, HMD and 1 sensor directly into the MB and the 2nd sensor on the front panel, the issue subsided again. Obviously this is anecdotal, but trying out multiple setups and multiple computers, it seems very dependent on which ports each is plugged into...
  • DoriathDoriath Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I just found this thread.  Uploading my logs.

I have one sensor right side up, and one upside down.  My play space shifts back and forth between two points, causing the guardian boundaries to move just beyond my actual wall and then back.  It seems to happen based on which camera has a better view of me.

I do see an event in the logs for each time it happens.  It's in the Service logs and starts with "[Tracking:CamCal] Too much camera movement:".

• gamefan101gamefan101 Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    I rolled back my client to the older version and had zero jumps for about 5 minutes.

I effectively had the new OVRServer and the old client.  The jumps slowly came back (rising in intensity) as tho the driver was retraining itself.

NerveGear
    I was getting tracking issues during setup  after plugging, Unplugging, a bunch of times, re running setup  it worked, full room scale no issues. 
    NerveGear
    I was getting tracking issues during setup  after plugging, Unplugging, a bunch of times, re running setup  it worked, full room scale no issues. I'm back to poor quality tracking, it is to note now, it happened after putting the computer to sleep 
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,193
    3Jane
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...why use sleep. I mean I get that it's a desirable thing theoretically but it always seems to cause issues.  So disable it!
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    I can confirm Doriath's analysis, the VR world jumps happen exactly when this message is logged in Diagnostics\OculusServiceLogs:
    17/12 09:44:36.919 {INFO}    [Tracking:CamCal] Too much camera movement: -10.8, 107.6, 28.4 (111.9), resetting position
    Log files are attached. The cameras itself didn't physically move, so the log message is a bit misleading.

I was able to almost eliminate these events by distributing the sensors to different usb ports / controllers. Right now the headset is in USB 3.0 mainboard, the first camera in USB 3.1 mainboard (asmedia), the second camera in USB 3.0 inateck expansion card. Cameras are right-side-up, 1.3 metres apart on the desk in front, tilted exactly horizontally.

The last hour of VR I only had 2 jumps, both when looking >=180° to the right. Other than that it's solid now, so it really looks like a USB bandwith problem.

My third sensor just arrived, which should take care of the >180° coverage. As it's connected with a USB 2.0 extension cable, it hopefully shouldn't add too much USB data to the mix.

Once it works, it's sweet B)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Good work guys, maybe i should re-enable my mainboard usb3.0 & try them & maybe some usb 2.0. I had initially disabled those ports as i was having headset disconnecting. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    beeli said:

17/12 09:44:36.919 {INFO}    [Tracking:CamCal] Too much camera movement: -10.8, 107.6, 28.4 (111.9), resetting position

This seems the most logical cause of the issue, i only ever had jumping probems AFTER i had physically moved one of my sensors.

since running setup again i was fine, so i do think the software is assuming there is movement when in reality there is not.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.