Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Comments

• R0cksteddieR0cksteddie Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Lukimator said:

Can you check if you can see those shifts on the mirrored view in the monitor? It sounds like the issue I have, but the funny part is I can't see anything wrong in the mirrored view, only in the HMD

I believe the most recent Home update broke something
    I'm basically checking this most of the time in Oculus Home although I do see it when playing games as well, had it a lot in Eleven Table Tennis VR last night.  What game do you use that shows it the most?
  • LukimatorLukimator Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    Lukimator said:

Can you check if you can see those shifts on the mirrored view in the monitor? It sounds like the issue I have, but the funny part is I can't see anything wrong in the mirrored view, only in the HMD

I believe the most recent Home update broke something
    I'm basically checking this most of the time in Oculus Home although I do see it when playing games as well, had it a lot in Eleven Table Tennis VR last night.  What game do you use that shows it the most?
    I think Ripcoil is pretty bad for me now. It used to be perfect until something broke it, and I didn't change anything myself. But in my monitor I can't see anything wrong
    Brain Burst
    I'll have to get Ripcoil downloaded and have a look.

On Eleven table tennis the mirror view is not in 1st person but when I looked the virtual head of the player character clearly glitches up and down so it is capturing something in the game.

Now that my new sensor arrived I went with a 3 sensor set-up last night to see what it is like with the 3rd camera in a USB 2.0 port via an extension cable.  Well the head height glitching has reached new levels, extremely bad and the hand tracking became quite jittery as well, mainly in the right hand where it has started to drift a bit. Not had that before.  The occlusion was much improved though as you would expect.
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Ive given up testing my sensors and controllers until a patch is released there is definitely something up.. For me the biggest pain is the spinning controller problem.. It happens more and more the longer I use medium the spins get more frequent the controllers start to lose their "feel" as in Its like i cant minutely hold the controller and put any detail on an object as the hand moves slightly but not as it should be. I cant try 360 experimental.

I have found out something though that i would love Cyber to relay to the engineers. If i do the 360 experimental setup what i found was this.. I took the second sensor out of the pc, I proceeded to test tracking with only one sensor.. The tracking was flawless on controller and headset, When i Plug in the second sensor and occlude it i redid the test with the first sensor making sure the second sensor remained occluded. Well for some reason just having the second sensor plugged in no matter which port made the first sensor tracking absolutely rubbish. Id also like to add to this weird thing by saying that I also did this test with the sensors in their default setup "front facing. And got the same result however if i allowed both sensors in front to see me tracking was fine except for the spinning controller thing which is very frequent for me in medium..... too frequent and it feels related to when the pc is being pushed hard. The spinning thing has also happened in bigscreen and a few times in dead and buried. Im pretty sure they are two different issues the spinning one I cant figure out why its doing it but the first problem im positive that both sensors are tracking the controllers at different positions except when both can see the controller then they both pick up fine.. this shouldn't be an issue like that though since provided you are at least in view of one sensor the tracking should be fine..
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    I'm also going to stop testing anything now until a new patch is released.  Thinking back I can remember when Touch was first released and I played games like The Unspoken and Dead & Buried without any issues on my HMD tracking or with my hands apart from the usual occlusion issues when my body covered the controllers. 

I'm pretty much now convinced that the last 1.10 update has broken something for me.  Obviously this has not happened to everyone so it must be my specific combination of hardware/software.  I can only hope the new update will resolve all these issues.  Out of interest I'm guessing there is no way to roll back to a previous version of home?
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Nope however im thinking home may be coming out of beta soon so hopefully tey will have ironed out a lot of the issues. They have tons of logs from people with the issues.. Id like to add that a lot of these issues seem to be happening with people who have z97 motherboards just from looking at the specs.. mine is also a z97 board and it may be related to something not to do with usb but maybe something else on those boards. Ive tested my usb ports and I am able to get all devices working as usb 3 constantly and the ports are putting out the required 500u power and by monitoring an average power draw on the devices of 523 combined there should be no issue

• will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any news on a fix for this yet?

thanks

Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    XlordB said:
    Nope however im thinking home may be coming out of beta soon so hopefully tey will have ironed out a lot of the issues. They have tons of logs from people with the issues.. Id like to add that a lot of these issues seem to be happening with people who have z97 motherboards just from looking at the specs.. mine is also a z97 board and it may be related to something not to do with usb but maybe something else on those boards. Ive tested my usb ports and I am able to get all devices working as usb 3 constantly and the ports are putting out the required 500u power and by monitoring an average power draw on the devices of 523 combined there should be no issue

Yep mine is a Z97 MB also (Gigabyte Gaming 7) so you may be on to something there! 

I've also never had any problems reported on my USB ports within Home, all can be connected via USB 3 or 2 without issue.
  • Gravity1368Gravity1368 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Weird I have a msi Z97 pc mate mobo as well, maybe its this type of mobo. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Mine is an old z68 Gigabyte
  • beelibeeli Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I've got a Z170 Asus mainboard, so not all are the same with this problem
  • Elmapuddy2Elmapuddy2 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Gigabyte z68ma checking in here. 
    Also using the 5 port inateck card instead of the 4 port that was recommended. (so i've bought a 4 port that's on the way).

All 3 connected to first 3 ports of the 5 port. i also noticed standing further away helped slightly, but still get major jumps.

Super bad when playing the climb.

• DragonfrostDragonfrost Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    This is a massive bug and practically destroys immersion and 360 gaming I would love for an update soon that fixes this.

Specs are:

Maximus VIII Hero
    GTX 980TI
    Inateck 4-Port USB 3 Card

I have 2 Front Sensors plugged into the Inateck Card Running USB 3 and the Rift and the 3rd Sensor running USB 3 off the Maximus VIII Hero's USB 3's

I know USB 3 for all is not recommended due to bandwidth issues, but it is not the root of my problem as this problem still consists with the 3rd sensor on USB 2 no matter what port you plug it into.

There is also a bug that causes the Rift to randomly change between USB 2 and USB 3.

I will provide my log for you now

Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    @Dragonfrost I had a look at your logs just out of interest and I could just as well be looking at one of my logs. There are of course a few differences but mainly all the same errors are showing.

I can't go 30 seconds without a movement glitch or height jump which means my rift now is more or less unusable!
    Brain Burst
    I am not sure on what the errors mean, My sensors are calibrated and i have followed Oculus's recommended 3 Sensor setup down to the last detail.

I think whatever is causing this is a bug in the way sensors switch over tracking to different sensors.

I also noted that Activating the Touch Controllers aggrovates this bug, with the Touch Controllers off i might get small glitches when turning around however with both touch controllers activated it glitches in height and position.

• SorithSorith Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    This is a massive bug and practically destroys immersion and 360 gaming I would love for an update soon that fixes this.

Specs are:

Maximus VIII Hero
    GTX 980TI
    Inateck 4-Port USB 3 Card

I have 2 Front Sensors plugged into the Inateck Card Running USB 3 and the Rift and the 3rd Sensor running USB 3 off the Maximus VIII Hero's USB 3's

I know USB 3 for all is not recommended due to bandwidth issues, but it is not the root of my problem as this problem still consists with the 3rd sensor on USB 2 no matter what port you plug it into.

There is also a bug that causes the Rift to randomly change between USB 2 and USB 3.

I will provide my log for you now

Exact same system specs. I have the 4 port card as well.  Same issues has been plaguing me forever. Hoping for a fix. One thing that seemed to work for a bit was not having all the sensors at the same height level but besides that pretty much has been a crap shoot. Whether it will work or not. 
  • Elmapuddy2Elmapuddy2 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    well fk.. i bought the 4 port card..
    Brain Burst
    quasio said:
    well fk.. i bought the 4 port card..

I don't think the 4 port card is the problem, I had these problems before the 4-port card
  • KianoniKianoni Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I've tried every usb port on my computer I have, and still get these jumps every time I turn around 180 degrees. Or just randomly, but most noticable when turning around. Not using Oculus that much, because of this annoying bug.
  • will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    Has Oculus made available to anyone a previous build to see if an update has caused the problem?

My usb ports are sore from all the in and out, so much so they crying out for lubricant lol.

I have tried everything including the inateck recommended card (which I can bet I never needed as the problem still won't go away)

Over a month now, can we have update on what is being done?
    Brain Burst
    Here's my testing of this glitch as follows

3 Sensors on Fresco Hub (Inateck Card) Running at USB 3 is okay however i noticed my hands in VR will glitch in the fashion of the height glitch when turning 180 to face back sensor, and the height glitch randomly appears after awhile.

2 Sensors on Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor (3rd Sensor) on Inateck Card, Immediate Height Bug and Touch Controller glitching when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors on Inateck Card 1 Sensor (3rd Sensor) in Asmedia USB 3.1, Delayed Height Bug, Touch controller glitching when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors on Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor in Asmedia USB 3.1 (3rd Sensor), Delayed Height Bug, Touch Controller Glitching, Occasional Drifting when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor Intel USB 2 (3rd Sensor), Height Bug is much worse in this setup, Touch Controllers Drift and Glitch when turning 180 to face back sensor.

The delay i mentioned is about half a second. 

The glitch is very tempermental, If i reset the tracking there's no guarentee i can make it work and switching around the USB ports sometimes doesn't end up reproducing the same symptoms, sometimes the height glitch does not occur and sometimes it does however i can be sure it is much worse and present when the 3rd Sensor is on USB 2.0 rather than 3.0, it also does not seem to matter what USB hub you plug it into with the exception of all 3 sensors on the Inateck Card, the height glitch is not present at first however seems to reappear after awhile.

The USB Extension cables I use are as follows

1st Sensor (Left Sensor) 1 Meter Cable Matters USB 3.0 Extension Cable
    2nd Sensor (Right Sensor) 2 Meter Cable Matters USB 3.0 Extension Cable 
    3rd Sensor (Back Right Sensor) 5 Meter Cable Creation Active USB 3.0 Extension Cable

I have tested the USB 2.0 Monoprice cable included and it still glitches infact it is worse in USB 2.0, USB 3.0 seems to alleviate this glitch to an extent that is only my experience and everyone elses may be different. 

The Oculus Devices page does not show any errors except for the occasional (Wireless Sync) Error, which i believe is due to where i place my rift when not in use however i may be wrong.

It shows full USB 3.0 on all 3 Sensors and i am not getting any errors about bandwidth, if there is a way to thoroughly check if i am reaching the bandwidth of the Inateck card however i'd love to know. 

If you need anymore info i can provide, I simply want this glitch to be patched and enjoy my VR experience :)

• Gravity1368Gravity1368 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    If anyone is running into issues with the recommended usb card try this out. Saw it last night and its gotten rid of any issues i was having. Going to try with a third sensor once I can borrow one again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5marst/anyone_else_extremely_dissapointed/dc2dahb/
  • metadanemetadane Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    3 sensor inateck z170 mobo user here with this issue. Everyone should check their error logs and see if they get the "Sensor moved" error. I do, and so do many others.
  • Gaijin01Gaijin01 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I have tried every single fix here, except turning the sensors right side up, that's not an option for me. Only seems to happen when I turn my back to the sensors. Just wanted to log I am having the same trouble
  • loregnumloregnum Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have this issue (it's like in the youtube clip in First Contact posted early in the first page) and it is so damn annoying. It is random but I can count on it happening multiple times in a play session if I have to turn my head 90 or more degrees and it never happened with one sensor. I also get the sensor moved errors throughout my logs but they aren't moving since they are attached to rods that are tight between floor and ceiling and at around 6 feet high and right side up.

I sure hope this stuff can be fixed (sure seems like it is a software issue) since it is frustrating and is preventing me from getting a third sensor. Makes me kind of wish I went with the Vive if this is going to persist. Thankfully it hasn't prevented me from enjoying my gaming even if at times it has made me not turn my head around when I would otherwise like to be looking around behind me.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    metadane said:
    3 sensor inateck z170 mobo user here with this issue. Everyone should check their error logs and see if they get the "Sensor moved" error. I do, and so do many others.
    i got the same board and 3 cams and the same annoing problem i want to use my rift again like before ....:( wth.
  • paulohotlinepaulohotline Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hello, I have also started having stuttering problems after adding a 4th sensor to my setup. Everything works fine but when my Touch controllers go to steep they stutter badly when they come back to activity. The way to correct to is to restart Oculus by going settings, BETA, restart Oculus. I will keep this thread posted if an upcoming software updated fixes this issue. Thanks! 
    [Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389]
    http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline
    "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"
  • theoculigifttheoculigift Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Exactly the same problem here, the Oculus is totally unplayable with these repeated jumps, just like this video Callidus80 linked to above, shows the problem exactly:

Tried every conceivable combination of USB ports, brand new system, fresh Windows 10, USB power management off.

ATTN OCULUS:
    Oculus this should be your TOP priority. This is not even remotely playable.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    5 weeks now with bad tracking thanks oculus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gaijin01Gaijin01 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I have all these exact same troubles, after hours of plugging and unplugging, reinstalling, driver rollback, driver updates, I fixed it for me at least. I had a 5-port inatech card before, I just ordered and installed another inatech card, this time the 4 port one. I also saw that inateck had a newer driver (August-16) which I got from here:
    http://www.inateck.com/media/attachment/file/f/l/flusb3.0-3.6.9.0a_1.exe.

I I put the HMD alone on the 4-port one, I put the two USB3 sensors on the 5-port one, and I put my 3rd sensor on my motherboard at USB 2.0. All problems disappeared. While it could be related to trying the new 3.6.9.0a driver, I will now stay convinced that it is a USB bandwidth problem. They may be able to get a fix through software by locking camera rotation, since that is actually what is happening, but at least I can sleep at night now. Hope it works for you too.