New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch - Rechargable Batteries

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator

Just picked up these for testing. As per the photo they're Energizer Accu Recharge Pro NiMH.

Now remember when you buy rechargeables, they're not all created equal. They range in capacity from around 1300mAh up to 2900mAh so decide whether you want quicker charging or longer lasting. There are also NiCD still out there which you don't want as they're small capacity and develop a memory quite quickly.

I plumped for the 2000mAh which take about 4 hrs to fully charge from flat on the supplied charger. They're charging now so when ready, I'll time my play and confirm how many hours of Touching I get out of them.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    I know nothing about rechargeable batteries, I'm interested to get your feedback with the Touch. I will invest soon before they arrive to be ready. My main concern is : can we charge 4 of them E.g. during a night, then disconnect the charger, use 2 for the Touch during several hours/days, without needing to charge the second set in between? In other words, does the unused batteries discharge even if not in use, or do we have to always keep them plugged in the charger until we use them?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Very true on not all batteries being built equal, I use Panasonic infiniums (upto 2100mAh, minimum 2000mAh).

They main reason I recommend them is they hold there charge really well when not in use which is good if you want a second set charged ready to go. The average Ni-MH battery will self discharge in around 3 months where these will still have 85% after a year of storage.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016

NiMH hold their charge very well so no problem keeping a pair fully charged for a week or so. If you're keeping them in storage for long periods though, it's best to discharge them.

If anyone's wondering about lithium polymer batteries, apparently it's best to store them at about 20% charge and occasionally check and recharge if necessary.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Percy1983 said:
    Very true on not all batteries being built equal, I use Panasonic infiniums (upto 2100mAh, minimum 2000mAh).

They main reason I recommend them is they hold there charge really well when not in use which is good if you want a second set charged ready to go. The average Ni-MH battery will self discharge in around 3 months where these will still have 85% after a year of storage.
    Yeah, standard NIMHs are pretty crap for holding a charge, you're looking at something like 25% the first week and maybe 10-15% each week after.  Doesn't matter much in something like a remote that barely uses any power so can run for months and months anyway.

But for anything that needs a reasonable amount of power it's going to be not too far off flat in a few weeks.

Now, low self discharge NIMHs, they're great.  Self discharge is slow enough you can pretty much ignore it.
    edited December 2016
    Bear in mind though that for low self discharge... you really should discharge them if you know you're going to store them for an extended period.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @DaftnDirect if you can Touch yourself for longer than 4 hours you might need to seek medical advice.

Yeah I go for the higher capacity ones. Wonder how long they hold out.

@cybereality ure such a noob ... glad you didn't hurt yourself, that could have gone very wrong.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Well by a "few years" I mean it was actually like 10 years ago. Time goes fast.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited December 2016
    @cybereality, my mum made the same mistake with her cordless phone.. the rechargeables had come to the end of their life and bless her she took the initiative and stuck new ones in... luckily they didn't go bang but the leakage took some cleaning up.

@LZoltowski, much like playing The Climb now... 4 hours is ok so long as you take a break every 30 mins or so to dangle

...your arms

• OtreumOtreum Posts: 101
    Hiro Protagonist
    Eneloop batteries are great, we've been using them for years now and they do a great job of holding their charge.
    I'll be investing in a few more next week for the touch controllers methinks.
  • ssahnanssahnan Posts: 27
    Brain Burst

so one thing to consider in general with rechargables, they are typically thicker then standard batteries and again, typically, gain in size the higher the capacity.  i'm using the ones it came with but do have some eneloops I will go to in time, from memory I didn't think the size would be a issue with regards to the touch controllers.  I use the high capacity one on some august door locks I have thru out the house and it is a noticeably tighter fit then non rechargeable batteries. 

For those interested in eneloops, this is the season to watch for them on sale at amazon.  they aren't cheap so waiting for a sale is always a great idea, it usually helps quite a bit especially if going for the high capacity black ones.  Costco sells a great kit on the standard eneloop capacity ones as well, includes a good mix of aa and aaa, along with a charger at decent value price.  I mention it because its not a bad route to go as opposed for paying the black ones.  there are more then enuf in the kit to use a few and still have some on standby for when the originals run out.

You may be right about varying AA battery sizes but I think they're all within 0.5mm diameter of each other.. I've heard of it being a problem though so yeah, if you have kit with a very small tolerance in the battery compartment it's worth checking. Touch is definitely not an issue though, plenty of room. 

Brain Burst

You may be right about varying AA battery sizes but I think they're all within 0.5mm diameter of each other.. I've heard of it being a problem though so yeah, if you have kit with a very small tolerance in the battery compartment it's worth checking. Touch is definitely not an issue though, plenty of room. 

yeah I didn't feel like it would be a issue with touch either but could be that chance someone buys a kit to use elsewhere as well.  I use eneloops exclusively for anything and everything that uses a battery in the house, I have come across a few instances where fit was very tight.  Just a heads up.  great batteries.  Frustrating to track down particular revisions/generations though, can become quite hit and miss. 

Amazon rechargables are actually older generation/revisions of eneloops.  quite a bit cheaper, but may not have the most current levels of holding capacity the latest eneloops have.

I can confirm that Eneloops fit fine with Touch. We use them in the office almost exclusively.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    I had to look up eneloops, never heard of them before! The tech seems great, low-self discharge. 

I see the PRO is only 500 recharges, which ones should I go for?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

PS. They seem to be great for zombie apocalypses with 70% of charge left after 10 years!

I'm actually well stocked for the zombie or other type of apocalypse. Got about 1 month supplies of military rations and water, batteries, solar and crank powered lanterns, an emergency radio, knives, a water purifier, gas burner, sleeping bag, you name it. I'm prepared.
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    I'm actually well stocked for the zombie or other type of apocalypse. Got about 1 month supplies of military rations and water, batteries, solar and crank powered lanterns, an emergency radio, knives, a water purifier, gas burner, sleeping bag, you name it. I'm prepared.
    No beans?
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    Same i know nothing for batteries

Thank you for this thead and the posters i am always learning coming here
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,047
    Trinity
    Do the xbox one recbargable batteries fit?

Brain Burst
    molokow said:
    Do the xbox one recbargable batteries fit?

buddy you got to do some of your own research there, that's not fair...that's pure lazy....to your end, the xbox is two batteries, the touch is one....
    Brain Burst
    I had to look up eneloops, never heard of them before! The tech seems great, low-self discharge. 

I see the PRO is only 500 recharges, which ones should I go for?

in my honest opinion, if strictly just for touch, go to Costco and buy their regular eneloop offer.  the pro is more high end, for high end users and no, the touch controllers are not high end use devices, its overkill.  that said, if you have other devices you want to power, and you want the best of the best, that I get, by all means, the pro definitely kick butt there.
  • FourT2FourT2 Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    I used Duracell NiMH 2450 mAh with my Touch for 3+ hrs, did not have to recharge them yet...
    Brain Burst

you've got to make a value assessment here, in most people's eyes, the touch should not be worth the investment into eneloop pro series batteries.  its just a dumb move.  but I get people get offended to hear their device isn't worth the best so to that end, good luck, it takes a ton of research to find out if when you buy pro series eneloops, if you are truly getting the best.  amazon is full of people who tried to buy current gen eneloop pros but got something less then.   I will reiterate once again, any series eneloop will serve you well for a touch controller.  high end eneloops are more for professional flashes and such.

edited December 2016
    You don't need the pros. This is the set I bought and the same ones we've been using in the office. $16 for 4 AA batteries and the charger. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-KJ17MCA4BA-Individual-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSMJU/
    Touch is rated to last between 20 - 30 hours of use from a single battery.
    That's a lot longer than I was expecting... I seem to remember reading a thread some time ago about issues with the prototype battery life. Me thinks the engineers have been working hard on these things.
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    Not an expert, but I've owned rechargables for some years and decided some time ago to go full LSD (Low Self Discharge) rechargables: kids toys,tv/hifi  remotes, clocks, gaming, everything that uses a AAA, AA, C or D battery.

Some advice that worked for me:

• Forget about non-LSD. They are not ready when you need them and they are far more inestable and they finally break. All my 20 or so non -LSD batteries died well before its life span (maybe due to a bad charger I can't tell). None of my LSD batteries has died yet.
    • Use a nice charger and not the crappy ones that can damage your batteries. Good chargers can do things like: charge, discharge, adjust charge and discharge rate, cycle a battery or try to recover damaged batteries, at same time charge with a mix of different battery size, capacity and brands, and voltage control to stop charguing when a battery is fully charged.
    • Amazon basics is enough for most uses. Except maybe camera flashes.
    • Do not use alkaline never again. If you forget one of them inside a remote, like it happened to my air conditioning remote during winter, it will acidify and damage your equipment.
    • For C and D types use AA and AAA adaptors.

I have a Powerex charger and some powerex imedion, panasonic infinium, recyko+ and amazon basics, and its working well.

Regards,

edit: grammar & spelling :blush:
    Soon upgrading to Ryzen
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Minitu said:
    Not an expert, but I've owned rechargables for some years and decided some time ago to go full LSD rechargables: kids toys,tv/hifi  remotes, clocks, gaming, everithing that uses a AAA, AA, C or D battery.

Some advice that worked for me:

• Forget about non-LSD (non-low Self Discharge Batteries). They are not ready when you need them and they are far more inestable and they finally break. All my 20 or so non -LSD batteries died well before its life span (maybe bad charger I can't tell). Any of my LSD batteries has died yet.
    • Use a nice charger and not the crappy ones that can damage your batteries. Good chargers can do things like: charge, discharge, adjust charge and discharge rate, cycle a battery or try to recover damaged batteries, at same time charge with a mix of different battery size, capacity and brands, and voltage control to stop charguing when a battery is fully charged.
    • Amazon basics is enough for most uses. Except maybe camera flashes.
    • Do not use alkaline never again. If you forget one of them inside a remote, like it happened to my air conditioning remote during winter, it will acidify and damage your equipment.
    • For C and D types use AA and AAA adaptors.

I have a Powerex charger and some powerex imedion, panasonic infinium, recyko+ and amazon basics, and its working well.

Regards,
    My love of Panasonic infiniums comes from photography, I use them in flashes, flash triggers and audio recorders, I just have a load in the bag charged and ready to go without worrying about any serious discharge.

Why Infiniums over eneloops? they have proven to work as well in flashes and cost a lot less.

They currently power my lightsabers which only get occasional use.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Percy1983 said:

Why Infiniums over eneloops? they have proven to work as well in flashes and cost a lot less.

Same here and probably eneloops are overkill for most uses.  I'll probably have more than 50+ LSD batteries now.

If I had gone full with eneloops I could have bought a second rift as well.
    Soon upgrading to Ryzen