New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentralslipgatecentral Posts: 9
NerveGear
edited November 3 in Oculus Medium
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
Tagged:

Comments

• StudioTanStudioTan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    You can quick select the alternate version of the tool by double tapping the gear button.

I agree with you about a move brush like Zbrush has.  This is a pretty essential tool.  Also some sort of masking.

However as a v1 product I think it's already useful for production work for quickly building a base mesh even if you need to eventually bring it into another program like Zbrush.
  • RareFactionRareFaction Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Definitely need a move/pull tool! It's really essential to any sculpting program.

A separate issue I've experienced is difficulty judging how far away in z depth the sculpting primitive is, e.g. the sphere, because the primitive is flat shaded with transparency. The only depth cue is the size of the primitive, but since the size can be changed it's easy to misjudge how far away the primitive is. I'd suggest adding a subtle Lambert shading to the primitive so it appears differently to each eye so you can use that as an additional depth cue.
  • RygorXRygorX Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Love it ! well done guys !!!

Here's my top requests :smile:

Brush strength control slider option ( its really hard to use trigger to get accurate strength control)
    Move Brush / 
    Pinch brush
    Option to disable sound effects
    Turn Table rotation animation 

• SethuskSethusk Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    A small browser window for referencing Google.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,045 Poster of the Week
    Things that annoy me:

When a layer is hidden it's still selectable by pointing. This makes it clunky to select a layer that's behind a hidden one and it's kind of jarring cos the bloody thing just appears there as it's selected and then I have to dive back into the menu to hide it again. I've lost count of the number of times when I've proceeded to phase two of this comedy of errors, when I start to spray and nothing happens cos I've selected the invisible layer, which is being scribbled on in the background. Same effect for eyedropper tool - I don't think it should sample hidden layers.

Busting the resolution limit makes all kinds of shit go haywire. Some kind of cap would be nice and/or indicator. I love going as hi-res as I can and I always feel like I'm dicing with death and saving often.

Things I'd like:

If the brush tool in paint mode could use stamps as a nib. I'm thinking the intersect area that's defined in white when you're sculpting clay would form a suitable perimeter for a fill area

Rename and re-order the layers in the menu. Point select is handy as hell but that little side menu is missing a trick.

• Mithos56Mithos56 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I also would really love a move brush. 

I'd also really like to see:
    Masking
    A clay build up brush( sorta a combination of clay and inflation brush in one)
    some sort of edge brush to do thin slices or pinch corners.
    Little more sensitivity control.  It seems to be right now that its either full bore, or you get the spray noise with no/almost no physical changes.

Definitely a cool application, though!
    Mithos56 said:
    A clay build up brush( sorta a combination of clay and inflation brush in one)
    Try turning on constrain to surface and trigger pressure control, in the tools menu. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,349 Power Poster
    It would be nice if Inflate acted a little more predictably. Sometimes when I try to use it to build up a thin piece of geometry, the piece seems to get whittled away rather than getting inflated.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Try upping the resolution, @nalex66, it's flaky as hell when it doesn't have enough voxels to work with.
  • TrancerSpaceyTrancerSpacey Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016

I would love to have the possibility to create a path (a line like in Quill) and then tell Medium it should arrange a stamp along this path. Would be cool when you could also define chaning the thickness-transition of the object which is arranged on this path. 

The equivalent to the blend-tool like it is found in Adobe Illustrator, but of course in 3D. :-)

Imagine you could do very easy a spinal column like nalex66 did, or the bone looking tail of my Alien-creature with this method (at the moment it is all "hand made"):

Brain Burst
    I posted this in another thread, but I think here it is better for any suggestions:

Very useful would be the posibility to have a 3D grid, where objects or layers even the symmetry plane layer can snap to. This would give a lot more precission.

Also cool would be, when you can move, rotate or scale objects/layers per fixed values/degrees (90°, 45°,... percent values).  When you move an object it would be cool when you could switch on/off the X,Y,Z axis. 

At the moment it is a pain in the ... when you work with layers in symmetry mode and you want to grab them to move, scale or rotate them via hand movements. I work on a project and the objects/layers are offset to the symmetry plane after this. Recentering has no effect. So doing this per fixed values could help. 
  • smanginismangini Posts: 7
    NerveGear

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

Double-tap the Color Wheel button (B).
  • Beo6Beo6 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    same as @Sethusk
    But maybe a simple image display would help already
    to have some reference image to look at of the thing you want to sculp so you don't have to take off the headset every time.
  • jmalmstenjmalmsten Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok.. some suggestions of my own:

- First one is a biggie. Really. We need a manual. Some document, either in the app or a separate wiki or pdf. Because there are a lot of things that we want that is already there. We just don't know where until we stumble upon it. Also. It's not a real user forum if we can't dismissively reply with a rude "RTFM"... :P

- I would LOVE the option to have tool-size decoupled from the model-scaling gestures. There are so many times when I want to just smooth a large area but my brush won't get big enough so I end up doing several seconds of swipes instead of a quick scale down, smooth, scale back up again. And for tools like the clay tool I often find myself fiddling with the thumbstick to try to pinpoint a tool-size that is between way too big and way too small. A decoupler would let me scale the model so the tool size would become optimal in one swift move.

- My left hand is way too unstable to take pictures. Please let me do picture-taking with my right hand... :(

- A paint bucket of sorts to cover a whole layer with a color.

- Custom background domes maybe? 

- Is there a way to reset a floor level and angle for the model? 

- More lights and light options. Ability to dial down the ambient light to pitch black if need be. 

- I don't know if it's been fixed already, but when I increase resolution I discovered that several random polygons go missing/transparent. A quick swipe with the smooth tool covers it up but I think it's something to fix if it's not.

- And some form of grabber/mover tool. It's a bit irritating when I realize that a limb is slightly the wrong angle and I need to erase it and build it again from scratch. I would love to be able to just push it a bit.

- A prompt to select where the pictures are saved... 

- Maybe something for another app. But a wireframe-tool? Where you can build up the model with a simple wireframe and have the resulting polygons then filled... If not in this app, then hopefully in a separate app. Then we could have both an app for organic sculpting and hard surface modeling. 

- And just for the hell of it... Physics. :P ... so we can build a club and bash things. :D 

- And for pie in the sky... rigging and animation...
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,349 Power Poster
    jmalmsten said:
     ... And some form of grabber/mover tool. It's a bit irritating when I realize that a limb is slightly the wrong angle and I need to erase it and build it again from scratch. I would love to be able to just push it a bit.
    Try this: use the Cut tool to separate the part (limb) you want to move. It will jump to its own layer, so you can move it as necessary, then merge it back to the original layer and clean up the join with the Smooth tool.

It's a bit more of a pain if you want to move a piece of geometry that's not attached (without moving the rest of the layer), since you can't use the Cut tool. My best method for that is to duplicate the layer, and then erase everything else from the new layer and the part being moved from the original layer. Now you can move the remaining part in its new layer.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • Mithos56Mithos56 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    After using it some more, I'd also like to get more power from the smooth brush.  It might be something I'm doing but if I let my shapes with the clay brush get too large, smooth is overwhelmed and doesn't really work.
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can't be the only one who gets tripped up by the Inflate tool having a fixed size, as opposed to the conical, distance-based effect of the Smooth and Paint tools.

Perhaps we could have an option to toggle between both behaviors? I know it'd help a ton if I could vary the Inflate tool's size more smoothly than the analog stick would allow on a whim, and distance-based adjustments are proving to be a good way to do that.
    Something that would be handy as hell for me is if we could have keyboard shortcuts assigned to the menu buttons. That way I could use Voice Attack to speed up my workflow even more.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    Damn, my post does not post, I suggest it's because I had links to forum-pictures as examples in it. So only text for now:

Imagine a tool like the Blend-Tool, found in Adobe Illustrator. I would love to see a funktion to draw a path (like in Quill) and a selected stamp follow this path. Including the possibility to adjust scaling transition or thickness, so the stamp morphes from big to small, thick or thin when it is arranged on the path. Of course it would be necessary to tell Medium a number how many stamp-objects should be bound onto the path.

Imagine: you could easily do things like creating a spinal colum. There are a lot of possibilities.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    > I would love to have transparent objects, to simulate glas for example.

> I would love to select an object an easily could change to whole colour of it. At the moment you have to repaint it with a brush, when I understand it correctly.

> Someone mentioned physics for having fun. I think physics would be a really important and good thing in Medium, if you want to test the standing stability of objects, when you want to print them in 3D.

Think about this: you can give your objects a 3D print material out of a material-list which includes the values of typical 3D-print materials, and medium calculates the weight and because of this the standing stability of your sculpt (simple example: a character standing only on two feet or balancing on one foot). So you can see, if your object stands really stable on the ground, if it's balanced right. Don't know if such a method is really exactly, but I think it could help.
    Damn, my post does not post, I suggest it's because I had links to forum-pictures as examples in it. So only text for now:

Imagine a tool like the Blend-Tool, found in Adobe Illustrator. I would love to see a funktion to draw a path (like in Quill) and a selected stamp follow this path. Including the possibility to adjust scaling transition or thickness, so the stamp morphes from big to small, thick or thin when it is arranged on the path. Of course it would be necessary to tell Medium a number how many stamp-objects should be bound onto the path.

Imagine: you could easily do things like creating a spinal colum. There are a lot of possibilities.
    Splines are near the top of my wishlist right now. I'm thinking the nodes wouldn't even need the traditional handles to manipulate, I could just grab one in my fist and twist it and pull it to change the curves. 

Once you have a path you could either fire an array of stamps down it like you said or just draw along like line constraint works just now.

One of the things I miss the most in medium right now compared to traditional 3-d packages is the kind of smoothness and precision this would allow cos my hands are too shaky to do super smooth curves.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    @P3nT4gR4m: Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Would be so cool and save so much time!
  • smanginismangini Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    jmalmsten said:

- My left hand is way too unstable to take pictures. Please let me do picture-taking with my right hand... :(

When Photo mode is active, press the Settings button (A) - there is an option to have the "camera" attached to your hand or not; that should help with stability.

Also, while detached, grip manipulates the "camera" not the scene.

edited December 2016
    Cavity Masking would be... well, I almost feel greedy for asking but... what the hell. Can we have cavity masking in paint mode? Pretty please?

• kojackkojack Posts: 3,659 Volunteer Moderator
    There's two main things that I've felt are missing so far:
    - grid snap (ideally with user controlled grid planes)
    - non uniform scale

The last one really got me today. Quite often I had a stamp that looked right, but needed to be scaled on just one axis. Like a longer capsule that doesn't get fatter too. I had a disc from the primitives stamp collection, but I wanted it thin like a coin. Without manually trimming it down (annoying and inaccurate), that's hard.

• nickzuccnickzucc Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    Here is a small one, but I believe that the smooth brush only smooths the model and does not smooth paint. I use the smooth on paint all the time in Zbrush and it really helps to get rid of pixelization looks. 

i would really love an advanced features for more experienced users. I think things work rather well for a new person coming into the program but at a certain point you want to get under the hood and start to really tweak performance, especially with the way your brushes respond.

it is really confusing on how you can grab one piece ignore your model and move and rotate it, and when you do it seems to be hard to maintain symmetry.

also in Zbrush when you get really close to the center with symmetry on your brushes snap to become one brush.

I am finding myself trying to work with as little pressure as possible to get the fine control that I am looking for.

make it very easy to know about brush modification, like in Photoshop it is easy to know if pressure controls brush size and opacity, it is as simple as turning on and off their modifiers.

i think this way of creation is amazing and is the way that digital sculptors will create in the future, but please look at Photoshop and see how they set things up for UI, look at ZBrush and try to learn what they did right and where did they fall short in terms of use.

I wonder, instead of a double tap of the alt modifier, how about button press and hold, that feels more natural like a keyboard press, don't you have on the left hand the oculus menu button that currently doesn't do anything? FOr speed of sculpting you need to easily add, subtract and smooth, smooth is currently the only thing that is easy.

we also need a way to easily manipulate imported stamps default orientation, stamps with color option would be amazing. Also, ability to paint stamps with custom saved color settings, that would be cool. Look into how zbrush uses insert multi mesh brushes.

Just adding cavity masking alone would be huge, also a fill button, at the very least let us zoom the model out really far so we can make our brush larger than the model and just paint the whole thing a flat color real quick.

it is really nice in Zbrush how you can toggle on and off your paint if you like, it is just an icon on the layer.

A quick and poseable armature system would be amazing. You should be able to create one from scratch but also provide a small library of pre made skeleton types.

Advance graphics options, I looked up how to supersample the oculus, this should just be an option.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oh yeah, alphas. :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    So I currently instruct on how to 3D model in Maya, Digital Sculpt in Zbrush and Digital Paint in Substance Painter, I love VR and see the huge potential this has for revolutionizing how artist create art, much in the same way that Zbrush changed multiple industries.

So I have an ask that isn't quite the norm I believe, I would like to see an online teaching environment directly in Meduim. So an instructor could be in the virtual space right along with X amount of students.

An instructor would have to be able to show off techniques to the entire group, but then also switch off to another mode where you are by the student giving instruction. Image a space that is set up like figure drawing session.

I would also like to ask for a way for multiple artist to work on a scene together at the same time. This could make an amazing tool for building out 3D virtual spaces (prototyping)  together as a team. We would also need a way to set an actual scale for your scene, my ultimate goal wolf be to push the results into UE4 and have a 1 to 1 scale relationship between the two. 

Also, as a side note, I am seeing a lot of companies using idea scale to capture the asks of their user base. Might want to give that a go?
  • surtsurt Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    User configuration of secondary-trigger tool.
    When I'm blocking out I'd rather have it mapped to subtract than smooth.
    @surt - double tap tool settings button (green gear) Have cake. Eat it. :D