cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolution or screen door effect?

sirallen
Honored Guest
I understand there is a slight focus issue on close objects but not very noticeable. I use B cups which clear it up a bit. But is there something I can do to downgrade the most apparent screen door effect? Maybe I am just used to my computer playing games always at 1080p. But hearing other ppl say that their screen door effect is slight. I almost thought I had some setting wrong. I can really tell it on the oculus popup menus in rift demos. I thought those should be clear and not trying to read words through a "screen door" if you know what I mean. Is there any other setting I can do to reduce that? And as far as the resolution for far off its absolutely blocky and shaking like AA is off. I have a 47" tv as my computer monitor but that should not have anything to do with it. Also use a Gtx 660 Ti card.
Make Life 3D
17 REPLIES 17

DarkJames
Honored Guest
How long have you had your Rift for?

I use B cups and just tried the Tuscany demo at 1280x720 (Windowed) and hit Space to look at the pop up. After using the Oculus daily at work for about a month now the text looks quite clear to me unless I really think about it and then I notice the screen door. Basically it's still there but you should eventually stop noticing it if you don't think about it all the time 🙂

(Didn't take me a whole month either, maybe 5 days?)
Seeing is believing

carbattery34
Honored Guest
Honestly, after reading a lot about the sde, I was quite surprised by how little I notice it. In any event, I don't know that resolution is going to help out with it that much, since it's a fixed, physical, artifact, and not something rendered in.

sirallen
Honored Guest
I have had it a day or two. Is the screen door effect due to how close the screen is actually to the lens? Now when I play a game I sometimes not notice it. The only thing I notice ingame is the slight slight blur/focus on objects, and the distance low res stuff.
Make Life 3D

DarkJames
Honored Guest
The screen door effect is caused by the magnification of the screen the lenses provide, so yeah how close the screen is. That's why A cups you notice it the most and C cups you notice is the least.

The screen door effect is noticing the black/blank space between the actual pixels, so when you zoom in on the screen you'll notice it more. Like holding your face close to a monitor an old TV.

The HD Prototype has a higher pixel density to the screen door effect is less noticeable.

Luckily for those of us with the low-res dev kits, our brains are really good at filtering out that data so that's why you won't notice it after a few days 🙂

Yeah the slight blur/focus is still noticeable if you try and look at something in the distance or at a low-res texture. The distance issue should be fixed by a higher-res screen like the HD version 🙂

Hope that answered your question ^^;
Seeing is believing

sirallen
Honored Guest
I guess I am use to the 1080p clear settings on the games I play, I "see" more sde than I should. Thanks for the help. Btw, do you think 1080p HD will be enough to rid that effect? It might take more.
Make Life 3D

DarkJames
Honored Guest
There's been discussion as to whether or not that will be enough, I believe the Oculus feels it is a "minimum" for the consumer version, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue on to "retina" quality to completely remove the effect.

If you look around the forums you can probably find more discussion on that specific topic 🙂
Seeing is believing

snappahead
Expert Protege
From what I understand, its not as much about resolution as it is pixel density. In which case, the screen door effect depends on the screen and not the rez itself. 1080p could be enough if they use the right screen.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

sirallen
Honored Guest
Higher price screen equals higher price Rift. Are we willing to pay over $300 for consumer?, when we have dropped $300 for dev kit.
Make Life 3D

snappahead
Expert Protege
"sirallen" wrote:
Higher price screen equals higher price Rift. Are we willing to pay over $300 for consumer?, when we have dropped $300 for dev kit.

I am, yes. I bought a dev kit because im an impatient enthusiast who must have it now if possible. If anything, im even more interested in an hd model and will gladly buy one. If its this cool now, how great will it be with all the improvements.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti