cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this system powerful enough to run MEDIUM effectively?

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Hi guys! I just completely impulsed bought my way into the world of Vr and PC (I'm a mac/PS4 person originally) because I was so excited by my first in-person Oculus Rift demo (which included Medium). I bought the last one of these systems (they actually had to special order it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-headset-cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gxivr2800b...) and I'm now worried that I was too hasty as I thought the video card in this bundle (GTX1060 - 3gb) was better than the oculus minimum recommend GTX970. It now looks like the 970 card has more video ram and may be a more powerful option that the 1060 in my system on order. Did I just buy into a system that is too weak to run Medium? 

To anyone who understands Medium's system requirements, please let me know if I just made a mistake or if you think I should be okay! THANK YOU! - (impulse buyer and hopefully future Oculus VR user!) - Jon Payne
6 REPLIES 6

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, that should be fine.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

PayneSculptures
Explorer
I am VERY relieved. Thank you for the fast response!

Anonymous
Not applicable
It might be worth adding some extra RAM at some point in the future though 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant
My system is 5 years old.  The CPU is an old I7 2700k and it runs pretty much everything.  Since they released ASW everything appears to run perfectly.  Both Medium and Quill work great for me.  They should work very well with that machine.  I have a 1060, it's a  6 GB version but you should be more than fine with what you have.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Medium isn't particularly hard on your video card, but it does use a lot of system RAM. The 8GB of RAM in that system would be my main concern once you start making larger scenes.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Thank you both for the update! It's a relief to hear that Medium relies more heavily on Ram as that is much easier to upgrade!