cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY an usb 2.0?? (additional sensor extension cable)

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
I just received one of the 2 additional sensors i've ordered, and i see that the extension cable (15 feet) is a 2.0 cable... is that ok?
Wouldn't it be a better idea to give us a 3.0 extension cable?
Just Asking u.u
35 REPLIES 35

maxpare79
Trustee
I think they want to split the bandwith between 2 different usb controller.  

If you have a separate usb card like the Inatek I wouldn't worry too much and use a USB 3.0 if you have the right extension cable that is... 

But 2.0 will do just fine. 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
lets hope, 5m 3.0 extension cable is between 15 ane 30€ and 2 of them almost make another sensor ^_^ ok with the investiment but lets not exagerate too much xD

I thought the maximum length of passive USB 3 cables was 2 or 3 metres hence the use of USB 2 for the 3rd camera. Active cables add latency if I'm not mistaken.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
as for the hdmi you can ad an extender block (powered or not) that increase the distance

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I was surprised to see it wasn't a cable by Oculus, it's what appears to be the same exact one as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-16-Feet-Extension-Repeater-108751/dp/B009GUTFX8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UT...

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's purposefully USB 2.0 due to bandwidth issues with using too many USB 3.0 devices.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

I thought the maximum length of passive USB 3 cables was 2 or 3 metres hence the use of USB 2 for the 3rd camera. Active cables add latency if I'm not mistaken.

While they may add latency, all reviews I've seen say it's not enough to matter.

elboffor
Consultant
The additional cable is active btw
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

@elboffor, are you sure? I'd read it was a passive 15ft USB 2 cable, and 5 metres would be fine for passive.

Well either way, cyber's confirmed it's a bandwidth issue that's the reason for USB 2.