New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What is your Oculus sensor setup?

ZuhZuh Posts: 256
Nexus 6
edited December 2016 in General
It would be interesting to know what is your Oculus VR setup? Feel free to share your experiences and tips!  :)

What is your Oculus sensor setup? 793 votes

Oculus Rift (1 camera setup)
1%
manuBroonzieComandillosElias24601TwoHedWlfStairmandaramis1987JonnyAllMerlinCWarrior9filmsMimas1raven_4572659 12 votes
Oculus Rift + Touch (2 camera setup)
49%
MimusCoreySauvejones1876Hicks613debollnMichelHiro_Protag0nistIbbanezPleXDlullukka38WildtImeleonMark8539WolfoxRedRizlakernowChijinjoechancallan752Fortyseven 393 votes
Oculus Rift + Touch + extra sensor (3 camera setup)
40%
cyberealityhaydxnkojackhughJWavesonicsjerame20NibreAwacsmaxx11111lamamanxcasualitdrnikitagmaciocciGhettoDukvanfanelvannagirlGhostNICedhymanatorblindman 323 votes
Oculus Rift + Touch + 2 extra sensors (4 camera setup)
8%
ChargeaxiumKottalsdreinhart1975Oheadmattynetkorgen63Kalec84razerflash5000EvolSilpherNamelessPFGVirtualExplorerRonnyBulletMawielFiZiSuperTuckdannemanmbze430kingofpain007 65 votes

Comments

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,326
    Wintermute
    2 sensors, about 4ft apart, on either end of my 3-monitor setup, work perfectly for my small touch playspace and for when i'm playing seated games like DCS world.  I just need a bigger playspace. :)
  • AwsedrftgAwsedrftg Posts: 15
    Brain Burst
    I ordered a third sensor to be able to use the Touches when facing backwards (like in Trials on Tatooine). Funnily though I discovered that I finished Super Hot today using only 1 sensor! I did notice some erratic behavior of the touch controllers but didn't give it much thought (I was playing Super Hot!). Trying to solve the erratic behavior I found I disconnected one of the sensors previously (needed it for a thumb drive)  :D
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    Two at the front, and one to the rear. 6'6" wide by 8' deep play area.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • ZuhZuh Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    I was using 2 sensors in 360° set-up for a week now. I had instances of loosing tracking but nothing serious. I have received 3rd sensor today and decided to use it with USB 3.0 (passive) extender instead USB 2.0 (active) provided. At the beginning I had problem with error: USB Bandwidth Exceeded while 3 sensors and HMD ware plugged to the same Inateck USB card. I Ignored It but ended up with no sound in my HMD :p. I have sovled the problem by plugging HMD USB cable to motherboard. From there everything went smoothly. I had not much time to test 3 camera set-up properly but Seems like Tracking is a bit better. I still had couple situations where controllers "shake" a bit. I will share more findings as it goes. I'm pretty excited to do some more "testing" :D

Btw. I'm right now using USB 3.0 extensions for all 3 sensors 1m, 3m and 5m (about 3ft, 9ft and 16ft).
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,374 Volunteer Moderator
    So far I'm doing okay with two cameras (one up high on a shelf to my right, one on my desk to the left of my monitor). I sometimes lose tracking when I try to pick up a virtual item from the floor, but that's mostly due to my space being small, so I'm a little too close to my desk (no room to back away).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Three sensors - two in front at ceiling height about 6 feet apart and a third at about 18 inches below ceiling height and about 8 feet away on opposite wall. Third sensor is also 3 feet to the left of my left-most sensor when I'm facing forward.

I have an 'Optimal' play space according to the setup, but I have a bit of a dead corner if I walk right into it (the corner under the back sensor). It's only a small triangle in the corner about 2 feet along each of the two shorter sides. This is because the third camera cannot see directly below itself the way it's positioned.

The rest of the play space I get VERY good tracking except a few tiny issues in corners if I hold the Touch controllers really close to my body and walk into the corner. Apart from that - it's epic!
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    I was using two sensors in two opposite corners, and for 360° standing up VR it was working out great...

But in a game like Dead and Buried :
    - Worked fine in "Horde" mode when I was mostly standing up in the middle of my room the whole time.
    - Worked poorly in 2vs2 mode when I was crouching down and twisting and jumping all over the place (within my ~2mx2m space) : That one needs two front facing cameras to work.

Basically what I found is that :
    - The two front facing 180° camera setting (front-right + front-left) provides a full room tracking over your VR space, but only when you're facing the two cameras.
    - The two opposite corner 360° camera setting (front-right + rear-left) provides a full 360° tracking, but only when you're standing in the middle of your VR space.
    - The three camera setting Oculus VR recommends when using 3 cameras, is in fact the direct combination of having a dual front facing setting + opposite corner setting : Front-right + front left + rear-left.

Summary :
    - 2 cameras is for choosing between the front facing only room scale setting or the standing in the middle only 360° setting.
    - The third camera can be used to combine both modes : The room scale + the 360°
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Oculus Rift (1 camera setup)
    Can I vote for "1 Oculus rift+1 sensor+1 sensor and touch laying in the box+waiting for two USB extensions to be delivered?"
    Nexus 6
    TwoHedWlf said:
    Can I vote for "1 Oculus rift+1 sensor+1 sensor and touch laying in the box+waiting for two USB extensions to be delivered?"
    Just vote for set-up you are expecting to have and share your experience when everything will be ready :)
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Everything seems more smooth since I have just added a 3rd camera tonight.  Even sitting down stuff, like project cars seems smoother.
  • Hicks613Hicks613 Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    2 camera 360 style like vive.  7ft x 7ft play space.  Works great
    I'm planing on 2 extra cameras because my OCD nature requires that I have a camera in every corner of my ceiling
  • KamukixKamukix Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I'm currently just using the 2 camera front facing setup for now. Left camera is at about 5 feet from the floor facing very slightly downward (to help catching me when I'm close to the desk hiding from dead cowboy bullets), and the right camera is currently on the desk at about 3.5 feet from the floor facing forward. The first camera is on a photography tripod I grabbed out of my camera gear because I needed something NOW lol. I've not raided any of the other light stands or tripods for the second sensor........admittedly, that's only because I'd have to move the loveseat in the man cave/room, and I'm not doing that until I put up my racing chassis later this week lol.

I will be buying at least one more sensor in the near future to place at the rear of the room with extensions. I will also likely put them all on the walls to avoid having tripods to move around. I wonder if the sensor can be removed from the base.............
  • KamukixKamukix Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Oh, I am in a pretty nice sized room dedicated to whatever I so wish (she's the kindest most wonderful woman ever, and insisted that I have a room in our new house just for "me" stuff. I may put in some sort of ceiling cable management for the HMD so that I don't have to ever think about the cord while dodging bullets or some other frantic movements.
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 386
    Nexus 6
    Had me a bit confused for a sec with the heading camera setup but guess he means sensor setup,  I have 2 setup on a shelf on the back wall of my room above my PC pointing down.
    Nexus 6
    leo1954au said:
    Had me a bit confused for a sec with the heading camera setup but guess he means sensor setup,  I have 2 setup on a shelf on the back wall of my room above my PC pointing down.
    I have edited the title. I'm actually supprised that I could ;)
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    Im still waiting on my 3rd sensor, but my 3rd camera mount arrived today so ive been thinking of where and how il mount the 3 sensors. At the moment i have opposing corners about 8" off the ceiling, im thinking this might be too high so looking at mounting them on the wall instead. Can someone post the link to the recommended 3 sensor layout as I cant seem to find it, also is there a recommended height?
    Nexus 6
    Here you go:

https://support.oculus.com/199906947113632?locale=en_US&ref=oculus-sensor

my third camera is located about 30cm (10") from the ceiling. Works well for me :)
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    Zuhook said:
    Here you go:

https://support.oculus.com/199906947113632?locale=en_US&ref=oculus-sensor

my third camera is located about 30cm (10") from the ceiling. Works well for me :)
    Thanks mate, looking at the diagram I should be able to leave one of the opposite corners where it is and put two on my speakers at least to get an idea of how that setup will work before mounting anything on the wall.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 355
    Trinity
    2 up front, 1,5 meter apart. The left one is sitting on a shelf 1m further away then right. Left eye height. Right crotch height. One sensor somewhere left behind me (about 4 meters away the front left one). Above head heigt, pointing quite some angle down (for picking up stuff and covering backside). Have Optimal rating with these total unsymetric setting. Tracking is great. 3m by 2,5m playspace. You can put the sensors anywhere, works great.
    This is 10min quick setup and didnt change because it works so well. Now I just want to move more furniture out of the way to create a bigger space and find the limits. Will take some time though, already taking up half the living room and boyfriend needs some space too.
  • EvolEvol Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    4 sensors, however I'm only able to finish setup with 3 connected. On the sensor part of the setup all 4 are shown but when setting the center of my play space it will not finish it gives a tracking error and refuses to proceed. Because of this I'm under the impression that 3 is the maximum currently. Wish Oculus would confirm this fact...
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,390 Valuable Player
    2 at the moment with an attempted at  360 degree tracking. however 3rd camera at local collection point awaiting pick up which i shall do tomorrow :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,390 Valuable Player
    Thmoas said:
    . Will take some time though, already taking up half the living room and boyfriend needs some space too.
    the trick there is to get him into VR as well, then you can cover the whole room ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    Is there no option for 2 different setups?

I have mine both as a one sensor setup when I'm at my desk in my office space, and when I use Touch I have to setup a 2 sensor 360 setup in my living room for it.

Means I have to go through the setup every time I change around. Would be nice to be able to get a 3rd sensor just for the office area and have 2 permanently in the living room area and then be able to swap profiles.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Evol said:
    4 sensors, however I'm only able to finish setup with 3 connected. On the sensor part of the setup all 4 are shown but when setting the center of my play space it will not finish it gives a tracking error and refuses to proceed. Because of this I'm under the impression that 3 is the maximum currently. Wish Oculus would confirm this fact...
    I had this problem, but if you keep trying it should eventually set up. It did after 6-7 tries for me. Try kneeling on the ground and holding the controller up in open view of all sensors.  However, you're in for more problems once you enter the testing session.  I couldn't get my 4th to work well thanks to bandwidth apparently. Had to unplug it and wait for official support from Oculus.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,374 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Is there no option for 2 different setups?

I have mine both as a one sensor setup when I'm at my desk in my office space, and when I use Touch I have to setup a 2 sensor 360 setup in my living room for it.

Means I have to go through the setup every time I change around. Would be nice to be able to get a 3rd sensor just for the office area and have 2 permanently in the living room area and then be able to swap profiles.
    If you get a second computer for the living room, it'll solve that problem.  ;)

I'm actually thinking of getting an extra couple sensors for my living room PC, since my office is too small for some of the more active Touch-enabled games. I have a fairly capable PC hooked up to my TV (i7 6700K and GTX 1060) which would allow me to do some VR in a larger space when my wife isn't watching her shows.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Three sensors resulting in a 10.5' x 10.5', 360 degree play space.

Just posted about the USB 3.0 hardware used in the following thread before seeing this one:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/46754/usb-3-0-and-three-sensors#latest

Edit (more detail on the specific arrangement):

I have an L-shaped desk sitting next to a wall-length sliding glass door with no curtain that forces a slightly non-standard setup to avoid the desk protruding into the play area and to minimize potential reflections in the window (unproven on my part - just paranoid).  In short, the Guardian area has the front right corner at my desk chair and works backward from there.  The front left and rear right cameras are in opposite corners of the room, on top of bookshelves and pointing down toward the center of the room.  The third camera is on a short tripod, at the edge of my L-shaped desk, facing level away from the sliding glass door toward the center of the room.  All three should really be on the wall, mounted near the ceiling and pointing down toward the center.
  • HyomotoHyomoto Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    I have two sensors and I've used them both in the forward-facing configuration as well as the experimental 360 mode.  I have two 51" tripods that I've mounted them on for easy movement.

So for the forward-facing it works exactly as I guess you'd expect.  The controllers and head tracking work fine and with the exception of turning all the way around I haven't had any issues.  I usually place them about five feet apart to give myself the full 7x5 play area the setup calls for.  I'm very impressed with it, and for all forward facing games this is definitely ideal if you have two sensors.

As for the 360 degree setup, it works very well but has a few 'glitches' I'm not sure if it's my setup or if it's just a limitation of the sensors.  I have them as specified in the 2 sensor guide at 51", but I've pushed them to about 13 feet apart.  The most obvious problem I have is if I put my hands together I get drift.  I'm guessing it's because with only one camera seeing the controllers, it has trouble determining which hand is which since it doesn't seem to matter at what angle they are to the camera so maybe it's just a bug that will be fixed eventually.  Additionally I get a little head inaccuracy.  Overall though these problems are very slight and don't typically pose much of an issue in game, nor have I experienced any nausea from it and I've been delighted at how well they work.  I've been able to get up to a 8x8' play area but I'm limited in space so it's plausible you might be able to get even more though the suggestion is a 5x5.  All in all I've been very, very happy with the Touch controllers and the system in general.  That said, the additional accuracy I get in the forward-facing setup means I prefer to use that in non-360 games since it works flawlessly.

I have a third sensor on order that should arrive next month, so once I have that I'm excited to try out the 3 sensor version as I'm hoping it will clear up those minor glitches.  I do wonder why it's two forward facing and a rear sensor, rather than a triangle.  It seems like that would give the best coverage for the setup, all stuff to try once I have it!
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    just bugs with 3 sensor setup...:(
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute

works pretty well, although i tend to lose tracking around the floor when real close to either of the cameras and my body occludes the view. might try and move the bottom one back a couple feet

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Currently, I'm on the usual two-sensor front-facing setup because attempts at opposing corner, 360-degree tracking leave a lot to be desired when it comes to reliability and avoiding tracking dropouts. It's pretty much unusable for Onward and a lot of other 360-degree games.

I'm planning on ordering two sensor cameras soon to fix this, thanks to the Christmas funds I received. Yes, I said TWO cameras for rearward coverage. No optical tracking system dependent on line-of-sight works better with fewer points of reference, after all.