New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Height glitching up and down

Comments

• Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    I'm having the jumping issue as well but my no means does it make it unplayable.  It doesn't happen so often for me but for some people It sounds like a nightmare.  I hope they get it sorted soon though cause my third sensor just shipped today.
  • will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2017
    For me it is unplayable on anything but a single sensor then it does not jump around. Two sensors if you roatate 180 degrees then the cameras start jumping, same with three.

I have all the fun and games with support now :-( treating me like a mac user sigh.

Quote from support "make sure both ends of the usb are plugged in, try different usb ports"

The only reason to contact support for me at least is to sort out returning it, guess what they even make that difficult.

When you have gone to the lengths of stripping your pc back to bares bones and it still not fixing it, there is nothing more you can do.
  • DragonfrostDragonfrost Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    will84 said:
    When you have gone to the lengths of stripping your pc back to bares bones and it still not fixing it, there is nothing more you can do.
    Completely agree, I've gone to hell and back trying to fix this problem and I've narrowed it down to the rifts cable, the problem seems to reset itself when you unplug the cable from the rift and plug it back in, that's what I've found anyway, however 30 minutes into playing the problem just becomes worse and worse until the height glitching and controller glitching comes back making it unplayable.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have lost all confidence in Oculus and would just ike to part ways amicably, I have wasted to much time already trying to solve the issue.

They are not making a refund easy which means I will have to likely get a solicitor involved, why the heck do they carry on the way they do? It is beyond me.

• ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Update with my issue regarding this.

Did some trail and error with Oculus support on this and nothing changed except after they asked me to do a reinstall of Home, did  this and all went smoothly, during trails after the reinstall it is still jumping but,  now when the height jumps it corrects back to the correct height almost straight away rather than stay at the incorrect height for awhile like it used to.

This has actually made the issue worse as I get 2 jarring height adjustments in extremely quick succession and the effect is worse and I have to take the HMD off otherwise I end up getting ill.

Running a 2 sensor setup. 
  • podkillzpodkillz Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I get this exact issue aswell, with 2 or 3 sensors. height jumps up and down as I turn and move around my play space. I tried 4 different sensor configurations, various USB both on inateck card and my msi mobo. Aswell attempted with and without cable extentions.

I've spent a week going back and forth with support troubleshooting till they finally asked for my logs and all my serial numbers for controllers and sensors. I haven't heard back since, I assume they're working on a fix.

IM a big fan of oculus and it's hardware but the rift with anything more then a single sensor is basically unplayable.

My question is: IF Oculus can't fix this, would a refund be issued? I'm worried that they may just try and pocket my $1000. Although I'm not accusing them of this it is on my mind. 

I hope an update comes soon.

• SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 327
    Trinity
    Today I've been noticing this weird thing where I'm sitting inside of "I expect you to die" and while im sitting in my chair I get this glitch every once in a while where my height glitches upwards and I have to reset my default orientation to get it back down to normal. After a little while it will do it again. 

Anyone else have this?
    I played and fninised the game last night and the height glitch happened several times.. twas a bit frustrating but I powered through it and finished the game..
    3Jane
    podkillz said:
    I get this exact issue aswell, with 2 or 3 sensors. height jumps up and down as I turn and move around my play space. I tried 4 different sensor configurations, various USB both on inateck card and my msi mobo. Aswell attempted with and without cable extentions.

I've spent a week going back and forth with support troubleshooting till they finally asked for my logs and all my serial numbers for controllers and sensors. I haven't heard back since, I assume they're working on a fix.

IM a big fan of oculus and it's hardware but the rift with anything more then a single sensor is basically unplayable.

My question is: IF Oculus can't fix this, would a refund be issued? I'm worried that they may just try and pocket my $1000. Although I'm not accusing them of this it is on my mind. 

I hope an update comes soon.

It will be fixed, it's just a matter of them getting to the bottom of it.  I have had Touch and 2 sensors since they were released and this issue has only started since Xmas update went live to Home for me, so I'd make a guess that it's a software issue.

If in the extremely unlikely event they can't fix it, I'm sure there will be refund available.  
    3Jane
    Swapped one of the Sensors to another USB 3.0 port and seems to be holding steady so far.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zandil said:
    Swapped one of the Sensors to another USB 3.0 port and seems to be holding steady so far.

enjoy it while it lasts, because most likely it won't
  • AndySledgeAndySledge Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited January 2017
    Even tho I have the glitch rarely now, I will put my rift on craigslist and get a vive, wont risk getting the issues again
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    Even tho I have the glitch rarely now, I will put my rift on craigslist and get a vive, wont risk getting the issues again

You should probably just sit this generation out then guy.  Last night on Onward folks with Vive were having some pretty bad difficulties.  Ive never seen so many guns fly off into space before
    Hiro Protagonist
    Even tho I have the glitch rarely now, I will put my rift on craigslist and get a vive, wont risk the issues again

Seems wise, they are to slow to react. You can't expect people to wait indefinitely months on end for a possible fix that might actually never happen. The likely hood is this; the up and coming patch will not fix the camera's moving which is why they have been very careful with their choice of words and are stringing people along buying some more time.

From most of the logs that seems to be the prevelant error, when I have lucked out on a setup that error seems to disappear, the most worrying thing is they have no idea what it is (or do they know it is really hardware and are trying to string people along until their warranty runs out)

Personally I would have been more willing to hang around if they helped by sharing further diagnostic tools. Sitting around left high and dry with an £800 paperweight with touch thrown in is no fun. But no they don't even want to help you apart from telling you to do the usb hokey cokey.

They will still have their loyal legions but as the old saying goes bad news travels fast.

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Zandil said:
    Update with my issue regarding this.

Did some trail and error with Oculus support on this and nothing changed except after they asked me to do a reinstall of Home, did  this and all went smoothly, during trails after the reinstall it is still jumping but,  now when the height jumps it corrects back to the correct height almost straight away rather than stay at the incorrect height for awhile like it used to.

This has actually made the issue worse as I get 2 jarring height adjustments in extremely quick succession and the effect is worse and I have to take the HMD off otherwise I end up getting ill.

Running a 2 sensor setup. 
    similar for me - I've put a cloth over the second sensor and I just play Elite ATM - trying to play anything in touch just doesn't work.. waiting patiently since it's January and all, but I really want to be able to use Touch again.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    its still a shame, one month now !!! fail
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    to be fair it sounds like a difficult bug to track down, and it's happened over Xmas.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I have a 360 set up with two sensors on opposing corners. I haven't had this issue yet.
    I ordered a third sensor and it's due to arrive tomorrow. I'll see what happens then. :/
  • EpoxianEpoxian Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    kzintzi said:
    and it's happened over Xmas.
    They chose to launch the product over Xmas to benefit from the shopping season. So no sympathy here.
  • matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    I had this issue when i had problems with the sensor (camera). It happened more often when all the lights were on and the camera was mounted on the wall, close to the ceiling.
    If you haven`t tried yet, try using the positional cameras in usb 2.0 ports - they supposed to have more delay, but in all honesty, I didn't notice it. 
    Be sure to turn off power saving (ie. disable the OS turning USB power on and off).

I'm using a single camera since i don't play and my project doesnt use touch but been trying with mate who does 3cameras. (Sorry, i`m just calling them cameras.) 
    Interestingly, with 2 sensor we barely had any problems.
    The  best setup so far turned out to be:
    Camera1 on top of the monitor
    Camera2 25 cm above camera1
    Camera3 sitting exactly opposite of Camera1
    Triplecheck that no ceiling (or any other) lights can project light directly into any of the sensors. Especially if you are using full spectrum lightbulbs (like me).

First try the camera arrangement (and the room lights).

Also, i managed to achieve proper setup with a FRESH windows install, rolling back to a restore point doesn`t always do the trick.
    It might be windows issue as well: I had mysterious errors, such as:
    App not playing sound AT ALL under windows10, even though it WAS working before. 
    Windows reinstall did NOT fix it. That particular app is silent since then (does work when I boot the 8.1 partition).
    It is a bit infuriating because it DID work with the "old" windows10, it stopped working with the anniversary edition, and sadly the installer I got is the ani-ed. It was working with the upgraded-from-win8.1 version of win10. To be clear, this particular app was compiled for older runtime so it might have never been tried with win10 ani-ed (anniversary edition wasn`t even out at that point), what I mean, that MS might as well be responsible for certain bugs. Just like windows10 stopped recognizing my android phone after installing an update, and never worked again (not even after system restore) until a reinstall.
    So basically, with this last paragraph, i meant it might be a reinstall problem.
    Also, i`ve noticed that I encountered extremely few problems using win8.1 - an OS i hate passionately.

Next week i can borrow more sensors to try reproducing the errors seen here, hope i find something useful.
    (I`m using single tracker and no touch since the app i`m working on requires minimal tracking space and uses only oculus remote or spacebar, its for showing architecture designs to customers).

Hiro Protagonist
    this is really game breaking and annoying
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    ok this may seem a little extreme but if your on windows 10 try this link. http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make-windows-10-super-fast/ ..do all the tweaks you can. I suggest turning off ALL apps via powershell. I did this and my windows is literally flying.. Oculus is running extremely well right now. The reason i tried this is I thought I should not be having the performance issues i was. I noticed that whenever a vr game starts to lose performance is when the tracking issues got worse after doing these tweaks my tracking suddenly became very good. Im not sure which of the tweaks helped but the experience now for me is much smoother.. I did have two issues after the tweaks. One was my tracking started to jitter with the hands. however when i took of the headset to check my sensors turns out one of them had hanged or something as it was giving poor tracking quality in the setttings.  A replug fixed that and now im back to good tracking. it doesnt fix all the problems ie the spinning controller etc but PERFORMANCE in games is smooth as butter for vr. 
  • Gravity1368Gravity1368 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    My third sensor came into today and with it a lot of these height glitches. Now before it came in I've been running two sensors diagonally, and my tracking has been 90% okay not vive like but not bad. I would get the height shifting up and down maybe once or twice a session wasn't to bad, but now with the third sensor every time I face a sensor my height shifts and its very noticeable. Tried all the fixes even made them all equal in height but the shifting remains. Pretty frustrated with my Oculus at this point I've gone above and beyond to fix my tracking issues hell I bought two different usb 3 cards. Im sure these are just growing pains and can be fixed in software but its clear to me that Oculus didnt think roomscale vr was going to be a hit and now are trying to play catch up. I really want to use my Rift but after dealing with these tracking issues since touch came Im done for a while and will just use my vive till this is fixed or we get an update. 
    3Jane
    Well It's back :(
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,053 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    Pretty frustrated with my Oculus at this point I've gone above and beyond to fix my tracking issues hell I bought two different usb 3 cards. 
    I think many feel this way - what might just be buggy software has tempted them (myself included) to buy an extra sensor and USB card.

You can argue it's our own fault, but when Oculus' official stance is that only a few people experience problems, and that those are isolated different issues, what else can we be expected to do?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • tellmiketellmike Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    I have been experiencing the height glitch as well. With 2 sensors it happend pretty seldom but now with 3 it's just bananas - happening all the time when I'm turning around. It's pretty unplayable. Getting nauseaus so quick it's crazy.

It's not only height glitches, but I now also get floting away controllers (facing the 3rd sensor results in bad Touch tracking), and when I turn around (180 degrees) then the perspective is shifted in a strange way and everything seems too move/float around slightly. It's subtle but noticable and induces nausea. So 360 is not really working that well at this point. So the 3rd sensor gives some tracking benifits but there's way too much issues with roomscale at this point.

I have ensured that no reflections are disturbing the tracking, and I've been very meticulous when setting up and calibrated the sensors.

Can anyone confirm if this issue has been reproduced by Oculus, and that someone is actually working on fixing it? I can assure you that it's not a handful of people, but probably a lot of users that just are too lazy reporting/writing about it.

Cheers
  • Phil007Phil007 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    I experienced the height glitch and the floaty hands for the first time today.
    3 sensors. I moved the back sensor to a slightly different angle out of curiousity. Maybe 10 degrees. All of a sudden, i am getting height glitches once every minute or so and my hands start to float when i face the back sensor.
    I then changed the angle back again, and the glitches stopped along with the floaty hand. I never changed the distance. Only the angle. It surprised me because even with the modified angle, there was a clear view to the camera. Almost straight on.
  • tellmiketellmike Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    Phil007 said:
    I moved the back sensor to a slightly different angle out of curiousity. Maybe 10 degrees. All of a sudden, i am getting height glitches once every minute or so and my hands start to float when i face the back sensor.
    Do you have any details of how you moved the camera angle when it worked best (i.e. to which part of the body did you angle it towards)?

At the moment I have my rear (3rd) camera pointed towards my chest/lower-back to get a better coverage on the floor. I used the Desk Scene to help to get the coverage correct, so that I can lift my arms up and also get a good floor coverage. My cameras are within ~2.5 m away from me.
  • metadanemetadane Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Anyone who is getting the height glitch should check their error log for the "sensor moved" warning. Submit these logs to Oculus if you are getting them. I am!
  • metadanemetadane Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Epxzz said:
    The problem lies within the headset itself. I just tried the headset of a friend with the exact same setup/computer/USB ports and it worked flawlessly! LED brightness is exact same for both headset (I did not check the frequencies).

This is a big problem: I spent hours and days trying to fix this stupid glitch. I was about to wipe my complete system making backups and reinstall windows. Then maybe buying extra hardware for other USB Ports.

Please give us an update on what will happen next.
    I heard there will be an update at the end of the month... but I really feel fooled again, two month without a fix?
    Can I just run this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44368/is-your-rifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it
    Will it the issue shown in this thread? Will it void warranty?

Sorry for sounding a bit impatient, but I bought the controllers, more than a month ago and every time I use them buggy like they are now I loose faith/trust in the Rift. I won't leave Steam for a while if things keep going like this.

A bit odd if this was the headset itself, as most of our error logs are showing sensor timeouts and "sensor moved" errors.
    3Jane
    metadane said:
    Epxzz said:
    The problem lies within the headset itself. I just tried the headset of a friend with the exact same setup/computer/USB ports and it worked flawlessly! LED brightness is exact same for both headset (I did not check the frequencies).

This is a big problem: I spent hours and days trying to fix this stupid glitch. I was about to wipe my complete system making backups and reinstall windows. Then maybe buying extra hardware for other USB Ports.

Please give us an update on what will happen next.
    I heard there will be an update at the end of the month... but I really feel fooled again, two month without a fix?
    Can I just run this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44368/is-your-rifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it
    Will it the issue shown in this thread? Will it void warranty?

Sorry for sounding a bit impatient, but I bought the controllers, more than a month ago and every time I use them buggy like they are now I loose faith/trust in the Rift. I won't leave Steam for a while if things keep going like this.

A bit odd if this was the headset itself, as most of our error logs are showing sensor timeouts and "sensor moved" errors.

I thought so to, until this morning.  I have been working with Oculus support regarding this issue for a couple of weeks, this morning I got a email from support asking these points

A short video demonstrating the issue, if possible.Your Rift serial number from the box (starts with 'WMVR' or 'WMPV').Your Rift headset serial number (starts with 'WMHD')Your full name.Your shipping address.
    They would appear to be getting ready to possibly ship out another Rift to me ?
    If they do this will be me third CV1.