Memory Ceiling - How to Clear Cache? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Memory Ceiling - How to Clear Cache?

AeonAeon Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi guys!

I've really been enjoying Medium so far, and I'm eager to make the most of it. I keep running into issues with my 8GBs of RAM, though. It doesn't take long to get to a point where operations like layer merging and duplicating are unavailable to me, as well as any higher resolution sculpting. Interestingly enough, I can access these features again if I save, quit, and restart the program before going back to work.

I assume that process clears out all the data held in RAM. However, deleting layers/reducing material and starting a "New" sculpt from within the program before re-loading don't seem to clear it similarly. I'm planning to pick up more RAM at some point soon, but I wonder if there's any good way to do this from within the program or any tricks I can use to lower my memory usage during sculpting? (I have never used the Resolution-UP feature, this is all just happening over time and possibly due to my scaling the model to move around it or access tricky spots, which I understand also dynamically changes the resolution.)

Thanks!

Comments

• RunzWivScissorzRunzWivScissorz Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I too am getting similar issue with 16gb of ram. might have increase but i imagine the issue will happen again and again just take longer to get to the point where its running out on ram. thought i would comment so i get notified if anyone comes back to you with any tricks to improve the issue :)
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,705 Valuable Player
    If I can get another 50-60% voxels with another 16gb, I'll go out and mug santa right now. Anyone have any idea if it's likely to be as much as that?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,685 Volunteer Moderator
    I can say that with 32 GB of RAM, I haven't yet seen any warnings about memory usage. I haven't gone overboard with upping the resolution, though--maybe once or twice (or three times, max) above default on most layers of my Skellington sculpt.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    I think for a realible test we'd need to start with a totally filled layer and then see how many times it can be duplicted. Maybe one of the devs could save us the trouble? 
  • AeonAeon Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Just to update this.. I borrowed another 8GB stick from my brother, so I'm working with 16GB now. I've also started playing with manually increasing the resolution, up to 5-7 times on an empty layer before I start working on detail.

I don't know if there have been some optimizations in the most recent patches, but I'm not seeing that error anymore. I still get some slowdown if I'm really packing the layer full, like when I'm working on hair. Overall seems to be improved, whether it was my hardware or the software updates or both.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!
    Aeon said:
    Just to update this.. I borrowed another 8GB stick from my brother, so I'm working with 16GB now. I've also started playing with manually increasing the resolution, up to 5-7 times on an empty layer before I start working on detail.
    All this does is shrinks the layer if it's empty. it doesn't actually increase anything. You'd be as quick shrinking the layer down to the size you want it. Upping res only works when you have some gloop down, then it's like a subdivide.
  • nosferalatunosferalatu Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    If you're running out of memory, be sure there aren't any other programs open in Windows. Medium checks the total amount of physical memory free on the machine, and if it's less than two gigs, it displays the OOM notification. We don't want Windows to start swapping so much that framerate is impacted, and one way to prevent swapping is just to close other programs.
    We did a lot of work to reduce memory usage so that Medium runs well on eight gig machines, but it's obviously a memory-hungry application, especially when you increase resolution many times.
    Our dev machines have 32 gigs and I rarely see OOM notifications, for what that's worth, but I realize that's on the high end.

• XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    nalex66 said:
    I can say that with 32 GB of RAM, I haven't yet seen any warnings about memory usage. I haven't gone overboard with upping the resolution, though--maybe once or twice (or three times, max) above default on most layers of my Skellington sculpt.
    i have but then thats down to me struggling to keep low resolution models with decent detail (example - i can create a model on resolution one of the begginning layer by manually shrinking the box area slightly this allows me enough detail so the model isnt too... blocky"polygony" type looking) however making later layers at low res aswell always seem to end up higher res even without me touching the resolution button.. Personally i think all that button does is shrink the layer the same as you would manually with the grab buttons. edit- like pentagram said.