cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the practical difference between increasing resolution and scaling down with both triggers?

jtelfer
Protege
I'm still a little confused as to exactly what goes on behind the scenes when I increase resolution. As the bounding box reduces it seems to just be the same as scaling up the existing model.

Is there any practical difference between modelling small and increasing resolution vs scaling down the world with the triggers and starting bigger?                     
6 REPLIES 6

dtrjones
Protege
I'm finding your post very difficult to read. However I'll attempt to answer what I think you are saying.

The resolution of the Rift if fixed at 1080x1200 per eye. To give the impression of a high resolutionn a technique called supersampling is used to remove aliasing. This technique works with a source render at a higher resolution and scales down the image to the device resolution. While this isn't particularly efficient, it is effective as the source image being a higher resolution has more detail which can be used to produce a better anti-aliasing result as the pixel colour has more context to what's happening around it giving a more accurate representation of the image detail.

If you model with a lower resolution and scale up, this makes aliasing worst as the render at a lower resolution limits the detail in the source render and when scaling up the aliasing becomes more apparent.

kojack
MVP
MVP
He's talking about the resolution of the modelling in Medium, not the rift resolution. 🙂
(Good info though, just wrong question)

I haven't used Medium yet (my touch controllers are currently in a fedex truck somewhere near my house, but I have to leave for work in an hour), but I've seen some videos of it. I would guess that the main difference would be that increasing res will preserve existing models at the same size, just with more detail possible, while scaling down will shrink existing models. If you do it before modelling something, I'd guess the result is probably the same (maybe area changes? I don't know the limits).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bhsharp
Protege
Hey! So, when you increase the layer resolution, what it does is exactly this:

- Scale down the layer by half (exactly like you grabbed it with both hands and moved them halfway together)
- Scales UP the clay in the layer so it stays visually the same size.

It's that second step that matters - if you've sculpted a head at low res and you're now at the limits of the detail you can put in it, uprezzing it makes the head twice as large within the layer (err, twice as large on each axis - really about 8x as many voxels) so you've got more detail to play with.

If your layer is empty (no clay in it), grabbing in both hands & pinch zooming it down by half is exactly identical to uprezzing it.

jtelfer
Protege
@dtrjones, thanks so much for replying but kpjack was right, I was talking about modelling resolution. I should have worded my question better.

@bhsharp - awesome that's exactly what I wanted to know.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@bhsharp - Thanks for that explanation. I'd just about figured out this was what was going on but it's nice to have it confirmed. Is reducing resolution density something you're planning? I imagine that's a hell of a lot more difficult to code but it'd sure be handy.

dtrjones
Protege
Oh ok thanks @kojack and @jtelferok, thats why I was struggling with the question lol! Wow I have to give Medium a go...