Best practices for public use? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Best practices for public use?

cheerycheery Posts: 37
Brain Burst
Hi

I plan to write some software specifically for public places such as schools and libraries. In these places one person uses the device for few minutes or hour at a time.

The challenge is that person changes all the time, and so does the IPD. I also expect if we don't provide anything to sanitize the headset it will become a disease vector.

So I'd like to know how to address this? Can I reproduce the IPD diagram somehow, also what Oculus would like me to do in this case? Should the program have configuration for personal use that skips the kiosk needs.

TL;DR kiosk configuration guide requested.

Best Answer

Answers

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    For the sanitisation issue, now that the CAD drawings for the faceplate are now in the public domain, maybe someone will produce a cheap disposable faceplate, maybe out of that recycled cardboard stuff, that I think I have seen some coffee houses use for their carriers.

they might not be that comfortable or durable, but should last long enough for a demonstration and could just be thrown in a recycle bin after being used.  If the cost becomes an issue, just ask the customer to make a contribution.
  • cheerycheery Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Wiping the face mask off may be a bit of insufficient. It's not been unheard to get an ear infection from headphones. The same applies to the straps and to practically any other part of the HMD that touches a body. For example, lices wouldn't be fun.

Oculus support talks about non-abrasive antibacterial wipes. I'm not sure if it's an umbrella term for various things in USA but I wonder what does it exactly mean? I suppose there are cultural differences when it comes to wet wipes. Does Kleenex hand sanitizing wipes work for cleaning
    Wintermute
    just make the kids wear a swimming hat, making sure that they don't put them on back to front of course.  :)
  • arttekarttek Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    Greyman said:
    For the sanitisation issue, now that the CAD drawings for the faceplate are now in the public domain, maybe someone will produce a cheap disposable faceplate, maybe out of that recycled cardboard stuff, that I think I have seen some coffee houses use for their carriers.

they might not be that comfortable or durable, but should last long enough for a demonstration and could just be thrown in a recycle bin after being used.  If the cost becomes an issue, just ask the customer to make a contribution.
    If the interest is to sell someone on the Rift, I'd say that comfort and first impressions will play a role.

If I went into a Rift demo with the headset scratching my face with that cardboard material (and possibly leaving even more noticeable goggle marks), that would likely negatively affect the experience. I'd be wondering why the headset is so uncomfortable to use. Then the Rep will probably tell me that it's not the consumer cushion, and the full headset will be much more comfortable. Then I would ask if I could try the actual cushion so I can make an informed decision. I'd imagine many would do the same.

Otherwise, if you leave the customer with a bad memory, that's going to stick. They might then try the Vive and think their headset is more comfortable and buy that instead. 
    Wintermute
    I didn't take it that the OP was talking about convincing peeps to buy a Rift, instead i thought that he was talking about using a Rift as a learning/demonstration aid.  However, if i misunderstood that, then you are right, having a scratchy piece of cardboard stuck to your face might not give the best first impression.

Some form of sterilising device and a ready supply of replaceable faceplates might be the best route.   I wonder if such a device could be/has been invented to be full Rift friendly?  ie.stick the whole thing in for 10 minutes and kill any unwanted bugs?
    Art3mis
    Greyman said:
    I didn't take it that the OP was talking about convincing peeps to buy a Rift, instead i thought that he was talking about using a Rift as a learning/demonstration aid.  However, if i misunderstood that, then you are right, having a scratchy piece of cardboard stuck to your face might not give the best first impression.

Some form of sterilising device and a ready supply of replaceable faceplates might be the best route.   I wonder if such a device could be/has been invented to be full Rift friendly?  ie.stick the whole thing in for 10 minutes and kill any unwanted bugs?
    True, if the intent isn't to sell, then it may not be as relevant. However, I'm just concerned about potentially giving a bad impression about the Rift, even if just for academic demonstrations. Those who never used a Rift or any VR headset, might still be enticed by it after use, or at least will give feedback and spread the word to others. You want to still limit any negative misconceptions about it, if at all possible. 

In my opinion, for the interest of giving Oculus a positive reputation, I believe comfort should still be considered, even for disposable parts. 

How about just a couple of VR covers, and just remove and sterile-wipe that part, then place back over the foam? May be better than constantly cleaning the foam part, and risk damaging/loosening the foam/glued areas.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover/
    Brain Burst
    Wiping the face mask off may be a bit of insufficient. It's not been unheard to get an ear infection from headphones. The same applies to the straps and to practically any other part of the HMD that touches a body. For example, lices wouldn't be fun.

Oculus support talks about non-abrasive antibacterial wipes. I'm not sure if it's an umbrella term for various things in USA but I wonder what does it exactly mean? I suppose there are cultural differences when it comes to wet wipes. Purell wipes, such as described in another thread, are inexistent here. Does Kleenex hand sanitizing wipes work for cleaning the surfaces on Rift&Touch?
    Brain Burst

Oculus support talks about non-abrasive antibacterial wipes. I'm not sure if it's an umbrella term for various things in USA but I wonder what does it exactly mean? I suppose there are cultural differences when it comes to wet wipes. Purell wipes, such as described in another thread, are inexistent here. Does Kleenex hand sanitizing wipes work for cleaning the surfaces on Rift&Touch?
    Art3mis
    FYI, just found these. 

https://www.amazon.com/Orzero-Disposable-Sanitary-Virtual-PlayStation/dp/B01JG6BL0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482862759&sr=8-1&keywords=face+mask+vr

Apparently they make various "facial masks" for VRs. Just use those key words to search in Amazon, or elsewhere. Gonna order me some for my New Years gathering where I'm sure I'll have 20+ ppl messing around with the Rift.