Space Pirate Trainer - this is freaking amazing — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Space Pirate Trainer - this is freaking amazing

MellzorMellzor Posts: 63
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 2016 in Games and Apps
So I was a bit sceptical about Space Pirate Trainer at first.
But with the xmas sales I got it.

I gotta say, holy smokes this game is **** awesome !

There is a shield ingame to reflect bullets, but you can also change it to a sabre / sword type of stick.
The sword can also deflect bullets back, or just slash through a bot.

Sword in left hand, Gun in right hand, and feel badass like Kirito deflecting entire streams of bullets back while doing some crazy matrix-michael jackson-fusion movements.

Oh man I'm in love.

The graphics are actually pretty amazing, especially the explosions.
And the soundtrack is brutal.
I find myself frantically waving around my 2 lightsabers like glow sticks in between the waves going completely mental rofl :D

You have a regular mode where the bullets will enter slow motion as they come close to you, and the hardcore mode where everything just goes full speed.

At some point I was deflecting bullets going only by the sound, the 3d sound is phenomenal, its so good that you can actually pinpoint the shots / shooters location.

So get in shape and master the sword at the same time.

GET TO IT !

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,467 Volunteer Moderator
    Cool. I have this from the Touch Launch bundle, but I haven't tried it yet. Hopefully I can get to it next week when I'm off work. I've got such a game backlog to tackle!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MellzorMellzor Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    Yea I didn't get the bundle, so buying one game at a time, playing until I hate it and then move on.
    But xmas deals did me in xD
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    Yea that game is very fun and addicting, it brings me back to arcade style gaming - trying to keep beating the high score. I love that once you get in a groove you start to feel like a badass because you are truly performing all the actions, not like a traditional video game where you are just pressing buttons. But when climbing up the levels you find that they just get ridiculously hard, and how in the hell can some people get those super high scores. They must posses the power of the force or something. 
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Am I right in thinking this is just a wave shooter or is there more to it? interested how long the re playability lasts?
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • arttekarttek Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    Percy1983 said:
    Am I right in thinking this is just a wave shooter or is there more to it? interested how long the re playability lasts?
    Yes, Wave shooter with little mini bosses every now and then. Also has power ups. 

** Tip: you don't have to use the powerups the moment you see them. Save them till you know you're gonna hit a big wave, so you can have Shields + Rockets + auto pistols to go crazy. 

Basically, if you've enjoyed oldschool arcade style wave shooters, this has a good amount of re-playability. Always trying to beat your last best score.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    Yeah played it a bunch a few months back on my friends Vive, and thought, yeah this is cool but you know, not that different from other wave shooters. Today I bought it because of the price and now it looks like the dev did give it some love, different weapons, power ups...anyway for the price it's a no brainer
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,858 Valuable Player
    I'm deffo buying it if it's one of the daily deals in the winter sale!

Heard quite a lot of people praising this title.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    Try equipping 2 lightsabers and use them as glow sticks to the beat while dodging and only deflecting the bullets (when no-one's watching) :blush:

And try deflecting bullets by slashing each bullet individually instead of just holding the sword in front of the bullets. (you can also deflect the bullets / lasers by slashing trough it sideways)

Its so very satisfying :D

• ShalashaskaShalashaska Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Is there coop in the game? A friend and I have only been doing coop games.
  • mavrussmavruss Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    +1 For the SAO clip
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    I'm surprised with all this talk about the swords, no one has mentioned that they're also lassoes. You can shoot out tractor beams and rope in the bots, then shoot them in the face, toss them out of the way, or smash them on the ground. 
  • CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, I remember it being a big deal on the Vive six months ago, but at first glance it looked kind of dumb, finally got it in the bundle and played it for the first time just the other day and I am thoroughly impressed. Kinda of embarrassed that I am just playing it now. :(
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Try the Hardcore mode  :D
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Hiro Protagonist
    I know the swords are also lassos
    but if I start to pull the bots I start flailing my arms around way too much.
    Already hit my desk and wall many times because of the lasso  :s

There's no coop in the game as far as I can tell.
    But it does have party mode, so you can rotate in n out
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    You know that you can use the trigger on the sabres to fire an energy hook that grabs enemies and then smash them into the ground or other enemies right?
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Just bought this, have to agree with the general opinion that this is a really good game, really polished and that alone counts for a lot with me.

This is something I know I will come back to again and again for short bursts and it's a good workout too, lol.

Absolutely worth a measly £7.99.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,858 Valuable Player
    Just bought it as well - great fun.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    3Jane
    Yup, it's just so well executed, everything feels finely tuned and responsive and has that "just one more go" hook to it.
  • CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    So Fun, I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't play it sooner!
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited December 2016
    Is a fun game, nice polish. Kinda wish there were more weapon options though, and something like a ff limit break where you become immune to damage (or heal previous damage) and blast off a mega attack would be great. Does make you feel like a badass, but does anyone else think they have made the waves progress a little too quickly? It feels like it goes from childs play where you can keep each one from charging an attack, instantly into a huge wave where you either have to keep a constant ear out to dodge, or hide behind the shield limiting yourself to one gun, that simply cannot keep up with the number of baddies. Once you're behind the shield it's slow going, as too many enemies for a single gun (even with eyeshots). Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game, I just really feel like there's so much more they could have done, combat wise.
  • BlastaMastaBlastaMasta Posts: 182
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, they should introduce some bosses along the way, it is defo progressing too fast.

Man I LOVE the music in this game! This one is a killer, keeps the blood pumping!

3Jane
    OpticKing said:
    Does make you feel like a badass, but does anyone else think they should have made the waves progress a little too quickly? It feels like it goes from childs play where you can keep each one from charging an attack, instantly into a huge wave where you either have to keep a constant ear out to dodge, or hide behind the shield limiting yourself you one gun,
    It is a great game but I have to agree, the difficulty does escalate very quickly, I can't begin to comprehend how people got such high scores on the leaderboard.
    Wintermute
    Applecorp said:
    OpticKing said:
    Does make you feel like a badass, but does anyone else think they should have made the waves progress a little too quickly? It feels like it goes from childs play where you can keep each one from charging an attack, instantly into a huge wave where you either have to keep a constant ear out to dodge, or hide behind the shield limiting yourself you one gun,
    It is a great game but I have to agree, the difficulty does escalate very quickly, I can't begin to comprehend how people got such high scores on the leaderboard.
    I'm tempted to think some of them may have cheated, in a way only vr can cheat. I mean you can probably reset the camera so you're underground. I imagine it'd be easier if you were just a set of eyeballs and pistols for them to aim at, and a shield would just about be god mode. Though we may simply have some extremely athletic players who also study tai chi (or use drugs xD), and are basically neo in these things. I feel my top 500 scores are pretty solid though, so can't complain.
    Finally tried this game today. Good fun, and I'll definitely spend more time with it. How do I get a sword? Is it something I have to unlock through progression, or am I missing something obvious?  I didn't see it as one of the weapon type options. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Wintermute
    nalex66 said:
    Finally tried this game today. Good fun, and I'll definitely spend more time with it. How do I get a sword? Is it something I have to unlock through progression, or am I missing something obvious?  I didn't see it as one of the weapon type options. 
    The tutorial would've showed ya. :wink: The sword is actually your shield in offense form, use the thumbstick right to change it to a sword, reverse that for a shield. The sword can block shots like the shield, but has much less surface area, so blocking must be much more precise. Trade off is the sword can also be used a whip to smash baddies on the ground or into other baddies (harder to do unless there's a big swarm). What I find the best for me is to start a (big) wave with grenade launchers to knock them all silly and damage em up nice with radius damage, then before they can fire; shield up left hand and quark gun right one (for sheer accuracy) or flak cannon the rest away.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    Reach over your shoulder.  The gun will change to a sword/shield and vice versa
    Ah okay, cool. I did the tutorials, and I've been using the shield, but I didn't realize it had options/modes. 
    Wintermute
    nalex66 said:
    Ah okay, cool. I did the tutorials, and I've been using the shield, but I didn't realize it had options/modes. 
    Ah, I had thought they covered that in it, I could easily be wrong and just experimented to find it out myself lol.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 783
    3Jane
    just picked this up. My only issue with it is it's difficulty level increases too fast. They need to slow the progression. Think I got to level 16 before losing but it was in like 5 min.
    3Jane
    OpticKing said:
    nalex66 said:
    Ah, I had thought they covered that in it, I could easily be wrong and just experimented to find it out myself lol.
    I didn't see it in the tutorial either, but now I know thanks to this thread.