New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

Comments

• ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 412
    Trinity
    @MonkeyMan7 Yes, if you are running a game/app in VR and change SS, the game needs to be restarted. If you have this game in a profile, whatever you set as SS or ASW using voice commands will also be saved to the profile. And, there should be a popup (on you PC) that alerts you the game needs to be restarted. That popup will only be shown if there's a profile for the game/app though.

Cheers!
  • sherpa25sherpa25 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    dburne said:
    sherpa25 said:
    dburne said:
    sherpa25 said:
    Question guys, since rF2 uses SteamVR, we set supersampling in SteamVR. But we need OTT, say, to run Performance HUD (thanks @ApollyonVR for the great app!), so do I have to set an rF2 profile here with PPD=0 so it doesnt conflict with SteamVR's Supersampling value?  And how about ASW, where do I set it so I can have it run in rF2 as either auto or fixed 45, in OTT? R;2 will read this setting from OTT? TIA.

You can set supersampling in either Steam VR or OTT, one or the other certainly not both.
    Just create a profile in OTT for rF2, and set ASW for your preference for the rF2 profile.  Personally for me, my preference is if the game supports a Pixel Density setting, that is what I use first. If not, then I use the OTT to set my PD setting for the game.

I have one game - IL-2 that I have to use Steam VR for, but I set a profile for it in OTT for both Pixel Density (super sampling) and my ASW preference ( I prefer disabled for this game). 
    So ASW can only be controlled through OTT, no where else? Thanks.

There is shortcut key combo, I believe cntrl+numpad 1 disables it iirc.
    Yes, i meant, is there any other tool where we can control settings for ASW? Is it only in OTT? In other words too, of what app is the Ctrl+Numpad 1/2/3/4 a feature of?
  • madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Just spent the past couple of hours fighting with my computer as it wouldnt install - my Anti virus and windows 10 would keep removing it... finally stupid me realized to turn off my anti virus program while installing and when I turned it back on I was to click on the trust tab so I wouldn't keep removing it lol.  But something I've noticed and I don't know if this is normal , had the same issue with the previous install. When I launch the program I get a not ready error after it starts up but then disappears a few seconds later. 
    Trinity
    @madamluck Are you running it as Administrator? If not then that's probably the cause. Open up the tool by right-clicking the icon in the system tray and selecting "Show Application". At the bottom there's a little round icon that's either green for OK, yellow for Warning or red for Error. Click this icon to expand the log window and in there you should see the reason for the error. Click it again to close the log window.

Cheers!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,680 Valuable Player
    sherpa25 said:
    dburne said:
    sherpa25 said:
    dburne said:
    sherpa25 said:
    Question guys, since rF2 uses SteamVR, we set supersampling in SteamVR. But we need OTT, say, to run Performance HUD (thanks @ApollyonVR for the great app!), so do I have to set an rF2 profile here with PPD=0 so it doesnt conflict with SteamVR's Supersampling value?  And how about ASW, where do I set it so I can have it run in rF2 as either auto or fixed 45, in OTT? R;2 will read this setting from OTT? TIA.

You can set supersampling in either Steam VR or OTT, one or the other certainly not both.
    Just create a profile in OTT for rF2, and set ASW for your preference for the rF2 profile.  Personally for me, my preference is if the game supports a Pixel Density setting, that is what I use first. If not, then I use the OTT to set my PD setting for the game.

I have one game - IL-2 that I have to use Steam VR for, but I set a profile for it in OTT for both Pixel Density (super sampling) and my ASW preference ( I prefer disabled for this game). 
    So ASW can only be controlled through OTT, no where else? Thanks.

There is shortcut key combo, I believe cntrl+numpad 1 disables it iirc.
    Yes, i meant, is there any other tool where we can control settings for ASW? Is it only in OTT? In other words too, of what app is the Ctrl+Numpad 1/2/3/4 a feature of?
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

AFAIK it is a feature of the Oculus Debug Tool.  Those are the only two ways I am aware of.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • SitruzSitruz Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to move the overlay? Love to be able to grab the chart board and move it to the side. So I can test a game and keep looking to the right for example to see the FPS, rather than it being in the middle of the screen.
  • ansemeanseme Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Avast detect malware...
    Hiro Protagonist
    What are the options for setting Pixel Density in Steam games that don't seem to be affected by OTT? I tried creating a profile for Audio Shield, but viewing the overlay in the game PD shows as 1.03 instead of the 1.5 I set so I assume that means it not working for that game.

I do love the OTT profile system, can that be done in Steam? How do you handle games that don't play ball with OTT?
    Trinity
    @Sitruz The overlays cannot currently be moved. If you want something that's made for only Steam (and designed for Vive but probably works fine for Rift) then check out OpenVR Advanced Settings.

@anseme Avast usually detects a IDP.Generic which just means it does not recognize the file and flags it due to the registry reading it does. If you want then check a fresh virustotal.com report made with the latest 0.70.1: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f76cc3bf563168d1677b2d8b29a4106b0255a23767c897e8c16ed821ac92551d/analysis/ or run one yourself.

Cheers!

Hiro Protagonist
    @Sitruz The overlays cannot currently be moved. If you want something that's made for only Steam (and designed for Vive but probably works fine for Rift) then check out OpenVR Advanced Settings.
    Hi mate. Just been tinkering further and OTT does work fine with Audio Shield, but only when I use a global SS setting. It doesn't seem to pick up the executable when using a profile. I've checked the game folder to make sure I'm choosing the right executable, and I've made sure all the settings in the profile were done before loading SteamVR and subsequently the game.

I did a scan of my steam folder as well and it found two other Audio Shield executables, so I set those up too.

Not a biggy in the scheme of things. I can just use the global setting, but any thoughts on why it might not pick up the profile? It picks up all my other profiles fine.
    Art3mis
    @madamluck Are you running it as Administrator? If not then that's probably the cause. Open up the tool by right-clicking the icon in the system tray and selecting "Show Application". At the bottom there's a little round icon that's either green for OK, yellow for Warning or red for Error. Click this icon to expand the log window and in there you should see the reason for the error. Click it again to close the log window.

Cheers!
    I remember selecting to run as an administrator so just assumed it stayed that way. Just checked and it said I wasn't . That's fixed now. I no longer have a red X but I now have a yellow instead. And I'm no longer getting that error. About the yellow warning, do I need to change all the things it mentions in the log in order to have it turn green? I'll be honest I only got this for this for the super sampling so I'm afraid to mess around with other things 
  • TheSmJTheSmJ Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    @ApollyonVR

I just updated from .68 to .70.1. When I launch the new version (whether Administrator or not) I get an error popup that says:

"Windows cannot Access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Then the OculusTrayTool.exe file gets deleted from the folder. This is after completely deleting the old installation files and settings in appdata/local. Replacing the file, or the whole folder repeats the issue.

EDIT: Never mind! Looks like Avast was quarantining the executable.
    Trinity
    @madamluck It most likely means you have Power Management enabled on the USB devices used for the Rift and the sensors. Usually, you want this disabled to prevent Windows from putting them to sleep when it thinks they are not in use. In the early days, this was one of the things that could cause the rift to disconnect mid game or tracking started lagging. Not sure how it is nowadays as i have it disabled myself. But check the log window, if there's a message about Power Management you can simply right-click the message and disable it on all Rift devices.

@Sitruz Yea, some steam games won't play nice with the oculus service it seems, or not in the way that makes it always work. The reason the global setting works is that it is already applied, it is set when OTT starts, so the steam game will "inherit" that setting. So for a game that seems to not work i would suggest removing the profile for it, then you either change the global setting before starting it, or use voice commands to change it which will do the same thing but you don't have to take of the rift to do it. While in a game (any vr game), you can use voice commands to change SS & ASW, then restart the game and that way test what SS / ASW settings works best, without having to take the rift off.

Cheers!
    Art3mis
    @ApollyonVR thank you so much. I disabled them and I'm now green. And everything is good now! Thanks so much for all your help! ❤️
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,189 Valuable Player
    Installed the new update and it doesn't work. I get a long error saying "Windows cannot access the specified path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access."  Then after this the Oculus tray tool exe disappears from the folder it's in but the other files are still there? It was working perfect before this update. I've tried to reinstall and get the same thing each time. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,189 Valuable Player
    TheSmJ said:
    @ApollyonVR

I just updated from .68 to .70.1. When I launch the new version (whether Administrator or not) I get an error popup that says:

"Windows cannot Access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Then the OculusTrayTool.exe file gets deleted from the folder. This is after completely deleting the old installation files and settings in appdata/local. Replacing the file, or the whole folder repeats the issue.

EDIT: Never mind! Looks like Avast was quarantining the executable.
    How do you stop it doing this because I get the same error now?
    Trinity
    @lovethis I suspect it's your antivirus doing this. Using Avast perhaps? Make an exception for OTT and you should be fine. 

Cheers!
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Sitruz Yea, some steam games won't play nice with the oculus service it seems, or not in the way that makes it always work. The reason the global setting works is that it is already applied, it is set when OTT starts, so the steam game will "inherit" that setting. So for a game that seems to not work i would suggest removing the profile for it, then you either change the global setting before starting it, or use voice commands to change it which will do the same thing but you don't have to take of the rift to do it. While in a game (any vr game), you can use voice commands to change SS & ASW, then restart the game and that way test what SS / ASW settings works best, without having to take the rift off.
    Thanks that works perfectly for me. Hadn't bothered trying the voice commands. I do find her to be a bit sensitive sometimes, either turning herself off or slapping a locked frame rate on me lol. I've disabled all those except the "show..." commands as thats all I was really interested in. 

Thanks mate. Appreciate the help. Great app. Fantastic work.
  • NipocNipoc Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is there any way to add something like a low fps counter\warning?
    Something that only shows up when the fps are below 90.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hopefully option to resize or reposition the hud too.
    Trinity
    @sherpa25 Position should be saved to wherever it is located when you close it down. Resizing the main gui is a bit of a pain due to the amount of controls on it, will take a peek at that though. Most other windows are sizable.

@Nipoc At this time that is unfortunately not possible, but if you open up the Performance overlay you should be able to see how things look. If the fps graph drops to a solid 45 then ASW has kicked in, meaning you cannot maintain 90 fps natively so to speak. Depending on how you feel ASW is performing, it might be time to lower SS a bit.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2017
    @ApollyonVR, sorry, what do you mean, position of the hud (ie. Performance, ASW status, etc) will be saved?  But its always at the center of the rifts view, can it be repositioned, say, at least to the side?  That would be great, if so, how?
    Trinity
    Ah, i thought you meant position of the tool itself. Position of the overlays in the rift cannot be repositionednat this time. 
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    Feature request:
    Add an easy way for changing icons and display names of third party apps:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/540802/#Comment_540802
  • AndyGartonAndyGarton Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Do the shortcut keys to control the HUD and ASW modes work for anybody? I've had no luck here, I think perhaps due to my keyboard (Microsoft wireless AIO), which doesn't have a numeric pad?
    Trinity
    @Syndroid will add it to my todo list.
    @AndyGarton you should not need a numeric keyboard, it's the arrow keys you need. I might redesign the feature a bit to make it easier to use. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Syndroid will add it to my todo list.
    @AndyGarton you should not need a numeric keyboard, it's the arrow keys you need. I might redesign the feature a bit to make it easier to use. 
    Arrow keys?  I thought it was Ctrl-1/2/3/4?
    Trinity
    To control ASW, Oculus has those keycombos yes. And those need the numeric keys, it does not work using the number keys at the top-row of your keyboard. But i have built it so you use ctrl or alt + arrow keys to control ASW and also the overlays, so you can cycle through them. It's in the user guide so take a perk there. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    To control ASW, Oculus has those keycombos yes. And those need the numeric keys, it does not work using the number keys at the top-row of your keyboard. But i have built it so you use ctrl or alt + arrow keys to control ASW and also the overlays, so you can cycle through them. It's in the user guide so take a perk there. 
    Thanks, I checked the guide in v0.70.1 but didn't find these built-in controls.  I even searched 'control','alt', or 'arrow' in Adobe.  
    Hiro Protagonist
    @ApollyonVR - What does constant negative headroom and many thousands of dropped application frames mean on the performance overlay? I've got an i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz, 8Gb RAM and an MSI 1080 Gaming X Plus, but playing The Climb tonight on 1.4 SS the application drops were going mental. I feel like my rig should be able to handle that? I was getting 90-98% CPU usage though lol. Time for i7 upgrade? Would that help or is it all about the GPU? I feel like my year and half old i5 might be bottlenecking me?