New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

Comments

• fsp48fsp48 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    FYI, The file is corrupt.
  • ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 206
    Nexus 6
    @fsp48, It downloads and extracts fine for me, perhaps try a different browser? I'm using Firefox myself. Or perhaps your antivirus doesn't like downloading compressed files with .exe's inside? I can re-upload a package and rename the .exe inside to .exm or similar if you're still having issues.
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    Download was fine for me.
    I have batches/scripts for everything this app does but the per app pixel density settings made me /inactive those in favor of this nifty tool.
    Thanks!

How is the background app monitoring done? I saw the app uses around 400 handles which feels a bit high for only that (or does it more in the background than just checking if a process has started?)
    Nexus 6
    Mace404, i have a timer that checks for running processes, looking for those listed in the profiles list. It is set to check this list/processes every 100ms i order to quickly catch a started process and apply SS. It then keeps looking at this specific started process until it has ended, so SS can be set back to whatever is set as startup value. I will look into if as low as 100ms is really needed or if it can be set higher. Thanks!
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,559
    Project 2501
    Will give this a try.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Wow, thanks man! Now i can finally use all 5 ports on my inatek card! thanks!!!
    Nexus 6
    Happy to help =)
  • fsp48fsp48 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Thanks!  Ok I got it in Edge and can't recall if I even tried FF...I had been using Chrome so not really sure what the issue was but I got it to unzip now.  That's my luck getting this all to work lately like I finally got 4 sensors to function albeit only one of four is USB 3.0.  Headset is also USB 2.0 but it tracks and isn't in slow mo skip hands mode.
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    So just so I understand fully, you need to install the Oculus SDK and run the debug tool on startup if you want the SS profiles to work? 
    PC Specs: 
    Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHZ
    MSI Z270 VR-Ready M5 Gaming MB
    MSI 1080Ti Armor 11G OC
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
    Orico PA31-2P USB 3.1 Expansion Card
    Fractal Design R5 Silent Case
    3 ( soon to be 4 ) Sensor Roomscale Setup

Nexus 6
    dougchism, no you don't need to install any SDK, everything you need is included in the .zip download.
    Run on startup is so that the tool starts up with Windows so you are ready to go and don't have to remember to start it before you use the Rift. You could just as well start it manually if you wish, SS profiles should work either way.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 241
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    Very useful tool. been waiting for something like this!
    One thing I noticed though. I can't change the "Super Sampling on start" value to "0.0"
    Normally, each app/game uses its own predefined default render target (which you can check with the debug tools layer-HUD). In many cases this isn't "1.0".. With your Tool running in the background however, it seems like it always forces the 1.0 resolution or whatever else is defined there..
    Using the value "0" with the debug tool always let the app use its default render target, which is the way how it normally works when I run an app without the debug tool..
    Luckys Tale for example, automaticly switches to 1.35 with an untouched pixel density override (0.0). 

That's why it would be nice to have the option to set it to "0"  so that I don't have to make an individual SS profile for every single app  :) 
    Nexus 6
    Yea, i must have missed that =/ Will add that in the next release. Thanks!
  • MugendonMugendon Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Isn't windows using events you can hook into if a new process is started/killed? This could completely replace the polling mechanism :)
    Nexus 6
    Mugendon, yes it can be done using WMI. The code gets a bit more complex, a timer is quick and easy. =)
    But i will definitely look into it as it is probably the "proper" way of doing things.
    Nexus 6
    dougchism, no you don't need to install any SDK, everything you need is included in the .zip download.
    Run on startup is so that the tool starts up with Windows so you are ready to go and don't have to remember to start it before you use the Rift. You could just as well start it manually if you wish, SS profiles will work using both start methods.
    Nexus 6
    Mugendon, yes it can be done using WMI. The code gets a bit more complex though, a timer is quick and easy. =). But i will definitely look into it as it is probably the "proper" way of doing things.
    Nexus 6
    Run on startup is so that the tool starts up with Windows so you are ready to go and don't have to remember to start it before you use the Rift. You could just as well start it manually if you wish, SS profiles will work using both start methods.
    Nexus 6
    Mugendon, yes it can be done using WMI. The code gets a bit more complex though, a timer is quick and easy. =). But i will definitely look into it as it is probably the "proper" way of doing things.
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 324
    Trinity
    Really liking this tool, nice work!  If I could make a suggestion though... it would be really cool to have a "Launch Home" button on there too.  Added convenience of having an all-in-one, since I bring up the tool every time anyway to start the service.  
    Nexus 6
    agenttoff, good idea, i will try get that into the next release as well. Thanks!
    Art3mis
    Home is started whenever the proximity sensor is triggered (when OVR service is running).
    Why press an additional button when putting on the headset is enough  :p
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 324
    Trinity
    edited January 2017
    Mace404 said:
    Home is started whenever the proximity sensor is triggered (when OVR service is running).
    Why press an additional button when putting on the headset is enough  :p
    I suppose, but I usually rather browse my library and store from my PC, then launch the game and put my headset on after getting comfy and situated.   Maybe I'm alone in that?  
    Nexus 6
    Version 0.6 uploaded, see original post for the update.
    Art3mis
    0.6 has got some problems.
    When starting up it wont set the pixel density. 
    When closing it gives an exception that some files are in use.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 776 Poster of the Week
    edited January 2017
    Since you're already coding this tool....I think it's silly to propose a different tool somewhere...so I propose this here:

There are some (minor) annoyances that annoy me ever since I got the Rift:

* Once in a while, OH starts up and only sees some port connected at USB2.0 - something which can usually be fixed by restarting Oculus, the next time the port (like the HMD or a sensor) is then shown as USB3.0 again. (I think this is a timing problem NOT of the port/hw itself but simply a software/driver issue of Oculus)

* On occasion, the adjusted Lens Spacing de-adjusts by itself, especially when the Rift is stored away over night.

The result of those annoyances is that EVERY.SINGLE.TIME before I go into VR sessions I check whether all devices are indeed running at USB3.0, and I check whether my lens spacing is at my 62 and didn't drift off to 63 or whatever.

*** The tool COULD integrate those checks (for example for the USB connected speeds) and give a warning when one is only connected at USB2.0, it could actually *automatically* restart Oculus until the ports are seen as connected at USB3.0

*** The tool could have a saved value of desired Lens Spacing (like in my case 62mm) and either display it conveniently in the tray icon....or give a warning when the saved value is off so one can adjust it.

This had MAJOR benefits...because this functionality would mean that every time when I do some VR stuff I'd know these values are correct...so it would save the annoying double-checking every time.

Just my $0.02

Nexus 6
    @flexy12, great tips, i'll look into what i can do about checking those things. In the mean time, version 0.61 is available here: http://www.filedropper.com/oculustraytool061

Changelog 0.61 (Beta 2)

- Buggfixes:
       * Super Sampling was not applied on startup
       * Enabling Visual HUD could cause an error
       * Cleanup/Stop of services/Home could cause an error

Art3mis
    Thanks for the quick fix. 
    Both the pixel density on startup and the error on closing are fixed.

I do get a log entry when keeping the config.xml from the previous version:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at OculusTrayTool.rwConfig.ReadConfig()   at OculusTrayTool.rwConfig.ReadConfig()

No error when using the config included in the zip but that needs re-doing the settings (no hassle :smile:)

Could easily be fixed I guess by checking if the config value exists, if not write that config entry with a default value to the config.xml

• lenne0815lenne0815 Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2017
    Hey Apollyon, i did a small roomscale setup guide using your tool and the inateck 7 port card, thank you very much for developing it ! https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5pglwu/inateck_ktu3fr_3_sensor_roomscale_guide/
    Nexus 6
    Cheers lenne0815! And thanks for that guide, it will help a lot of ppl i think, great work!
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Great tool, but there's something I may doing wrong.
    Everyting I do, power managements are always enabled (and I don't see FL hub in the status list)
    And as seen in the screen below, the power plan and selective suspend options go blank each time I launch the tool (as admin of course), I don't know if it's normal.

001.jpg 278.4K
    002.jpg 107.6K