New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,509
    Project 2501
    korgen63 said:
    Everything was fine with 0.83 but 0.84 gives me an error.

Each time I launch OTT, USB Selective Suspend is blanked:

When I change to disable (my default setting in 0.83), I get that error:

Maybe because of non english windows.

Ya, I found the same and got the same warning (in English).  I needed to make the start and end set power plan both to high performance and usb selective suspend disabled.  Also, checked box for sensor power management.

I think that most times you can ignore warnings but I'm kinda OCD., lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 260
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    My bugs are that when the OTT starts with the Windows, it puts the rift audio as audio device as i think it should do that on oculusclient.exe start? The power plan sometimes hang to performance when it should come back to balanced. Also the minimize Oculus to tray stops working after a while and sometimes weird programs end up in the OTT's Oculus library, like Windows Store. :D

What is great with OTT is the possibility to restart Oculus backround service, when for some reason ir cameras lose tracking or aren't found. Closing Oculus desktop app and restarting the O-service from the OTT always fixes that problem.
    [email protected], ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    @ApollyonVR
    Is it possible to implement into OTT the option to load (both with admin rights) the OculusDash.exe and oculus-platform-runtime.exe and through OTT's tray icons right mouse click menus? These two runtimes are required at least for HMD screens to be enabled while oculusclient.exe is blocked from running automatically with the admin trick at least with SteamVR.
    [email protected], ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
  • ApollyonVRApollyonVR Posts: 382
    Trinity
    @korgen63 I'll look into that and send you something to test soon.
    @Netheri Will PM you about that and see what we can come up with.
    Nexus 6
    @ApollyonVR
    Ok. I don't have any programming skills, i just have the idea. :) But it would greatly (at least) help the use SteamVR if those two Oculus exe's could be just ran witn admin rights through one click when needed. So we could separate SteamVR and OculusVR totally from a part like we used to with only the admin trick.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    Netheri said:
    @ApollyonVR
    Is it possible to implement into OTT the option to load (both with admin rights) the OculusDash.exe and oculus-platform-runtime.exe and through OTT's tray icons right mouse click menus? These two runtimes are required at least for HMD screens to be enabled while oculusclient.exe is blocked from running automatically with the admin trick at least with SteamVR.
    I really don't think it's a good idea to implement such dirty tricks unless Oculus Devs teams give the green light to that. Devs already say they study what's going on, so it's gona change or move soon. Adding that to OTT will land to a mess to maintain each time Oculus update theirs executables, and will probably lead to other sides effects on pretty near future. I suggest to keep OTT far from such stuffs IMHO...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Well there isn't option to disable ASW on Oculus apps also, or disable Sensor Power Management or bring up SS up on applications, or make Fresco registry tweaks also, so should we remove those too from OTT as dirty tricks until those are implemented on Oculus's own app? One can always choose not to be using these options on OTT, one thing we can't choose on Oculus's own options.
    Trinity
    AudioSwitcher fix in progress, will get you guys something to test as soon as i can.
    Project 2501
    Netheri said:
    Well there isn't option to disable ASW on Oculus apps also, or disable Sensor Power Management or bring up SS up on applications, or make Fresco registry tweaks also, so should we remove those too from OTT as dirty tricks until those are implemented on Oculus's own app? One can always choose not to be using these options on OTT, one thing we can't choose on Oculus's own options.

Ya, I hear what you are saying but I agree with Yolo that we should not try to force non-standard Oculus processes using OTT.

You can control ASW within any Oculus App, even steamVR apps run with the Oculus home opened beforehand.  All you need to do is use the CTRL+1-4Num keys (numbers from your numeric keyboard, not the top row numbers).  this is a lot easier than doing this with the Oculus Debug Tool imho.

CTRL+1 = ASW disabled
    CTRL+2 = 45fps locked without ASW
    CTRL+3 = 45fps locked w/ASW
    CTRL+4 = ASW auto (= default, and is generally fine for most apps)

You can select the ASW mode you want after you start up your Oculus Home, or you can select it after starting up your game.  This is kinda handy since you can try these out while playing your game to see which one works best for you.  You do not even need to restart your game for these to come into effect.  the only problem I found trying to do with some SteamVR games running is that sometimes these CTRL+1-4 are used for other functions (eg. change views).  In most cases you can get around this by simply pausing the game, then apply them, then un-pause.  Of course you can still apply then before starting up the game.

Sensor power management and USB power management are easy to do by just going to your windows device manager, right clicking on these and uncheck the box in the performance tab that allows windows to suspend these to save power.

Power management in general can easily be handled by simply selecting the windows Power Plan you want to use.  I'm sure that most of us already just use the High Performance Power Plan and you can further modify this yourself if necessary.

I don't know about the fresno reg tweaks because this is not an issue with me.  If it is an issue with you there may be things you can do in regedit or device manager to help sort these out.

OTT has some CPU priority options but I have never seen any diffs selecting high priority vs normal.  

OTT also has some voice command options but this is not something that I use.  However, it may be useful for some.

One thing that we cannot do is select SS for our Oculus apps and this is where the OTT profiles really come in handy.  This is def something that Oculus should include within it's Core 2.0 home settings (or at least the Oculus Desktop app) imho.  Fortunately most Oculus apps now have some SS options (they may be called pixel density). 

SteamVR app SS's can be controlled either globally or individually using SteamVR settings.  

My independent apps like X-Plane 11 can pretty well be tuned with their in-built graphics options, together with a little Nvidia Control Panel 3D application tweaking.

Audio switching generally works fine without OTT within both Oculus home and SteamVR environments.  However this is not always the case with non-Oculus Store bought apps (all my Oculus Store ones work fine).  So sometimes I need to manually do this by selecting my windows speaker icon and selecting the output I want.  No big deal and there are only a few of my apps that have this problem (a couple of SteamVR apps and one independent app).

Since the latest Windows 1809 and Oculus 1.31/core 2.0 updates I have noticed some VR system un-stability so for now I have uninstalled OTT and I'm just using the manual tweaks mentioned above. I gotta say that since I've done this my whole VR system has been a lot more stable and, in some cases, my performance (fps) has improved a bit as well.  So, for now, no more beta testing, changing Nvidia drivers, and trying non-standard workarounds for me.  For now, it ain't broke so it don't need fixing, lol!

Once a newer version of OTT (0.85?) is released and we get reports that this all works fine I will probably try it again.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    @TomCgcmfc
    I was thinking that ASW keyboars shortcuts earlier regarding just this conversation. Why i was thinking it was, that is there somewhere some mention how to use them in some "casual user"-manual? 

USB power saving options are not included on Oculus app, hence using it is also "dirty trick"

I myself use modified "balanced" power mode, and let OTT to change it to unmodified "performance" level, when using Rift. I've noticed some improvement on Rifts performance that way. And the returning from VR, OTT usually manages to change power to "balanced" as wanted :). How ever, it's not guaranteed, that a casual, menu dependent user would know how to set power saving off and this also hasn't been implemented on official Oculus app, hence, it's at least a "bit dirty trick". 

Fresno registry tweak in used with Inatecks 3.0 USB cards. It prevents them "to be lazy" so to speak and lose the connection with the Rifts cameras/headset. :D Also, that feature is not implemented on Oculus app, regardless the Inateck 4 port 3.0 usb card is recommended by Oculus to be used with Rift. Hence, it's a "dirty trick" :D.  (although the cards suck,i have 2 of them and the official Inatecks driver is "outdated" or that's what the Oculus desktop app's device roll says XD. Nice support there. Although Inateck drivers works better than Micrsosofts. AND only my HMD is connected anymore to the Inateck card as it's the only one working properly with it XD).

On SteamVR Home i used (i say used, as i'm too bored to use Rift anymore, as we can' do as we wan't with our hardware) it's own SS but on SteamVR library's (and of course Oculus's lib) i use OTT's SS and set the applications other setting up without touching the applications possible SS setting. In ED it was a little weird to set the rendering as there's 2 different modifiers for it, if i recall right.

Edit: OH, and those processes are not non-official. They are indeed official Oculus processes needed to get the screens enabled, when oculusclient.exe is admin tricked and SteamVR ad some other apps are wanted to be used. 

Edit2: Although, it's all the same to me what and what not to implement since couple of days now. As as long as the Oculus/Facebook is going with the big brother attidude, i'm not touching the whole device. 
    Wintermute
    OTT actually do tricks smartly, like said above it centralize lot of stuffs you can mainly do another way. Now, changing properties of a delivered software package to prevent executions, or even replacing some executable like I saw in another thread, it's risky as other softwares may think one is running when it's not, so the exec process return an error and that's what I call "dirty trick". And the fact Oculus Devs are aware some of us (not me) have problem currently and confirmed working on it let me think things gona moves quickly, so OTT will have to maintain something moving at each release. In near future I can imagine a bunch of persons crying when those kind of tricks will not work anymore, and because they broke their Oculus installation blaming Oculus. The same way people complains here in official forum because the "admin trick", not an official trick advised by Oculus Devs, don't work anymore...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

Nexus 6
    @YoLolo69
    I see your point of course. As you see the point of mine?
    Wintermute
    Netheri said:
    @YoLolo69
    I see your point of course. As you see the point of mine?
    Partly, but that's because I don't have any problems currently with Core 2.0 :) I'm just suggesting things as my pessimist side see a possible messy support future ;) I assume if I had problems I read here I will try tons of tricks, dirty or not, but I'm an engineers with more the 35 years of experience on computers so I know I will manage the mess, but that's not the case with lot of casual readers of this forums...

Nexus 6
    Yeah, i've been messing around with PC-environments and harware "only" about 25 years, 4 of those were as a pro under a big company. In those years i didn't want to touch my own computer at all :D. And as you know even an ict professional can still be casual with the operating systems and with it's details.

I don't have also problems with the Core 2.0 per ce but i don't like the fact, that everything is forced mandatory, regarding the other thread, games are not working with it and support/devs nihilisticly blame the game makers that the fault is on the games, not on 1.31, even when the game(s) been working before the 1.31 i.e. 2,5 years!
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    The fly can be for long drowned in the pan and you'll only see it when stirring the soup.
    - YoLolo proverb

Who know? possibly something fishy effectively, lot of reports I agree...

Project 2501
    YoLolo69 said:
    The fly can be for long drowned in the pan and you'll only see it when stirring the soup.
    - YoLolo proverb

Who know? possibly something fishy effectively, lot of reports I agree...

Good one Yolo!  The 1.31/core 2.0 hater flies seem to like to pop their little heads up in just about every thread over the past week.  Too bad because this seems to dilute and pollute most of these imho.

I think it would be best for OTT to wait until Windows 1809 and Oculus 1.31/Core 2.0 updates are finetuned a bit more (= further Win10 1809 cum updates plus Oculus 1.32 releases).  Also probably a good idea to wait until the new Oculus ASW 2.0 is released.  I have already suggested this to OTT support btw.

While I am not using OTT right now I still believe that it is a very useful Tool and I'm sure I will reinstall it later, once the dust has settled a bit more.  In the meantime the suggestions I have posted earlier work fine for me.  None of these include any so-called dirty tricks, just simple standard processes that even Oculus and Steam support have suggested recently to myself and others.

• MrDeath_MrDeath_ Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    MrDeath_ said:
    can we have something in the new version of OTT that allows us to set global, or profile values for the newly added FOV tangent multiplier?

if you were to add it into a beta build i would love to give it a try!
    cheers!
    AudioSwitcher fix in progress, will get you guys something to test as soon as i can.
    Hey, just posting this again as this could be an amazing addition for content creators to increase their mirror FOV.
    thinking you might have read past it.
    Trinity
    @MrDeath_ Sorry i haven't replied on that, it's on my ToDo list. Working on improving stability, game start detection, audioswitcher and other tweaks to make things smoother and better. The FOV thing should not be hard to add so i will
    definately add it at some point, hopefully in the next version if the stuff i am doing now works out as it should.

Cheers!
  • Vampire2436Vampire2436 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    latest oculus home cant be set as admin and allow the home window not to open on start of xplane any one know if there is a fix?
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018
    latest oculus home cant be set as admin and allow the home window not to open on start of xplane any one know if there is a fix?

Sorry, no fix! BTW, I tried that admin trick a while ago (1.27) and I did not really see any significant performance diffs.  Properly managing your settings and addons has a far larger effect imho.

I currently find that the best/easiest way for me to startup XP11 is to select the Oculus Desktop in Core 2 and then use my pc mouse to select/startup xp11 (shortcut or on taskbar, which Is what I use).  This works well for me.  

XP11 still hangs when you try to exit it from your VR menus (flight config/main menu/exit xp11) but core 2 takes you back to the Oculus desktop where you can easily use your mouse to startup task manager (I have this pinned to my task bar) and right click on XP11 and select End Task.  Nice thing about using the core 2 Oculus Desktop is that you never need to remove your Rift to access your PC desktop.

Unfortunately this looks like something us XP11 guys will have to live with for a while since the new, yet to be released XP11.30 has not managed to solve this issue, at least this is what they currently say in their pre-release notes.

• FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    My OTT seems to be somewhat broken. Voice recognition doesn't work and neither does game launch detection. The global settings still work fine. It was all working not too long ago - the change may coincide with the latest Oculus software update (forced me into Dash etc).

Are there any suggested troubleshooting steps? Preferably ones that won't erase my current settings and profiles? Thanks.
    Trinity
    edited October 2018
    @FolkSong  In the new version i am working on i have hopfully adressed these issues. I need to get it tested as usual though, so i can send you the beta later today if you'd like to try it out?
  • Vampire2436Vampire2436 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    ok send to me that would be nice
  • FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    FolkSong said:
    My OTT seems to be somewhat broken. Voice recognition doesn't work and neither does game launch detection. The global settings still work fine.
    Update on my issues with 0.84: Voice recognition was a silly thing, my USB guitar interface had been set as the default microphone so that's where it was listening! It's working fine after fixing that. As for game launch detection, I tried it with an Oculus Home game and it worked, so it may be only Steam games that have a problem. It's not working for Subnautica or IL-2 Sturmovik.
  • markm75markm75 Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does anyone have this issue with the latest version.. i cant seem to get profiles to work.. i do hear the audio confirmation, but my settings within the profile dont have any effect.. only the main master pixel density setting works.. ie: even with the master at 0 and a profile at 1.5, if i set to show up in the goggles i'm only seeing 1.01?

Trinity
    edited October 2018
    @markm75 Could you send me the ott.log and i'll have a look. Just attach it in a PM here on the forums and i'll have a peek. In the latest beta i am (hopefully) improving things like this, so once i have a stable release i'd be happy to send that to you if you'd like to help test it out.

Cheers!
    Wintermute
    I confirm I have a problem currently. Often the audio feedback can't be heard and in that case I relaunch the game/app, and even if I heard it, the profile could be not take in account. Confirmed with the OTT HUD showing pixel density. Changing to "Timer" instead of "WMI" don't improve the behavior. In any case I can see immediately if my usual 1.5 wasn't applied (visually speaking) even after hearing the audio feedback, and I have to launch my game several times before all is fine. Once again yesterday it happened after I created a profile for Edge of Nowhere. It took 3 or 4 launch before I had the audio feedback and the profile applied.

I just realize we can launch an apps/game by right clicking on its line in the profile window. What happen in that case? Do you launch the application and catch it on the fly like usual to apply profile, or do you apply the profile before and then run the app (the latter will work 100% of the time as Oculus Debug Tools work 100% of the time when set right before launching an app)? I need to try that.

Trinity
    @YoLolo69 If you launch the game from the Profiles or Library windows, the profile is applied before the game is started. So that’s more controlled and should perhaps work better. I am currently fixing some bugs regarding all this. If you’d like to test the beta i can send it to you. 

Cheers!
  • 71st_Mastiff71st_Mastiff Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    YoLolo69 said:
    I confirm I have a problem currently. Often the audio feedback can't be heard and in that case I relaunch the game/app, and even if I heard it, the profile could be not take in account. Confirmed with the OTT HUD showing pixel density. Changing to "Timer" instead of "WMI" don't improve the behavior. In any case I can see immediately if my usual 1.5 wasn't applied (visually speaking) even after hearing the audio feedback, and I have to launch my game several times before all is fine. Once again yesterday it happened after I created a profile for Edge of Nowhere. It took 3 or 4 launch before I had the audio feedback and the profile applied.

I just realize we can launch an apps/game by right clicking on its line in the profile window. What happen in that case? Do you launch the application and catch it on the fly like usual to apply profile, or do you apply the profile before and then run the app (the latter will work 100% of the time as Oculus Debug Tools work 100% of the time when set right before launching an app)? I need to try that.
    I'm having the exact same issues with DCS World. Takes up to 4 attempts before the programs really kick in.
    " any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater comeback " Asus z370 MX||i7x8700k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||AX1200 Corsair||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G15 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR \ 32" Samsung|| 1x9inc||
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    @YoLolo69 If you launch the game from the Profiles or Library windows, the profile is applied before the game is started. So that’s more controlled and should perhaps work better. I am currently fixing some bugs regarding all this. If you’d like to test the beta i can send it to you. 

Cheers!
    Good, I'll test that direct launch on my current released version, and if you want me to test beta I'm open and should have enough time tonight.

Edit : Oh and I have a possible improvement idea : Today I made some cleanup uninstalling several games / Apps from my Oculus library, and I thought using the "reload" button bottom left on the Profile window will also cleanup my list of profile, but that's not the case and I have to do it manually one by one (right click->remove profile). Could that be made automatically when using that reload button, as I thought it was its purpose?
    Edit #2 : Ok I saw that you probably referring to a directory of the Oculus installation called "drive\Oculus\CoreData\Software\StoreAssets" where I can find tons of apps/games, even really old and uninstalled ones for months. In that case I have a second improvement idea : Purging Oculus installation directory from those old stuffs taking place for nothing as they don't exist anymore on my computer. I can see here lot of old stuffs with pictures/Icons useless as uninstalled. Oculus should do their-self a cleanup here I agree, but if they don't, that will be a nice added feature of OTT, what you think?