New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Getting ready to put my 9mm to this POS

MiRealMiReal Posts: 34
Brain Burst
I won't show this system to my friends nor recommend it for purchase until this issue can be resolved permanently.  In fact, avoid it!  At least that's how I feel right now.  Really frustrated with what I've spent on this with the amount of time screwing with it trying to keep it running.

I played multiple games almost all day yesterday without issue, even my wife was using it.  Today I boot up and first the Rift doesn't work, can't detect the headset, check the cable, reboot about 5 times, now the headset is back, but the Touch controllers are locked in position and won't move.  Suddenly getting Sensor tracking errors throws me in to recalibrate the sensors, but get poor tracking, all of a sudden it's good, try to play something, boom, sensors drop out again.  What the F!

No changes to anything since yesterday, logs are showing alot of 'truncated camera frame' errors, and a few of these: '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175'

So why?  What's going on?  Why no issues sometime then all of a sudden a hailstorm.  

Comments

• jbarnes2jbarnes2 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Kevin Williams warned long ago about sensor issues and guardian bounds jumping around.  Causing people to punch their wall! Maybe break fingers.  Guys are punching their wives in superhot, breaking wifes jar or knocking out her teeth from these issues,  not good to have guardian bounds jumping like this.  Kevin posted this video to warn you.

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    It sounds like USB problems to me. A little thing like windows downloading updates in the background and everything changes. Not sure how to fix it, but I put about $350us  into a motherboard with USB 3.1 and have never had any problems. Asus X99 Pro usb 3.1
    Not that you have to do that, just that usb bandwidth is vital, and noise in the circuit can be a problem.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • MiRealMiReal Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    I have thought about upgrading the motherboard & cpu, but not going to be a simple task as I went to extremes to watercooling everything on it.  No way would I get lucky that everything would just 'fit' and work.  I could put this mb, cpu & ram into my other older pc that's in need of upgrading I guess, but is the z77 vs x99 really going to make the difference and solve the problem?  It's the randomness of this issue that's driving me nuts, works great or it fails miserably.  Just not crazy about throwing alot more money at it with a risk of not solving it.
  • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    MiReal when your say hmd disconnects which one are you getting as there is two types one says "we can't find your headset" this is a usb issue and another that says "your headset is not plugged in Make sure your hmdi is plugged in" this is when it can't find the headset via the hmdi. 

If if it's the second one then check the cable at the headerset end is fully plugged. If so and you still have the infamous hmdi not plugged in message then sit with the headset in your hands with ovulus home open and the notifications tab open and gently twist the headset or apply a little down pressure to the headset arm where the cable plugs in. Just to see if you can trigger the error. 

If if this happens then contact support as it may need treplacing. 

I had to have mine replaced for hmdi errors. 
    Brain Burst
    In settings under devices it showed the headset as not found.  I believe it's mostly a USB issue as I did check the cable on both ends and it was fine.  I've actually had zero issues with the headset, only since I added the Touch Controllers/sensor.

So I don't know if just a coincidence or this is going to be a fix or just for a little while.  I plugged the headset usb into my 2.0 usb motherboard port and left the 2 sensors plugged into the Inatek 3.0 usb port/card and rebooted. I was able to get everything up and running as though everything was perfect.  Ran SuperHot, BulletTrain & Dead & Buried without issue like yesterday where only an hour ago nothing worked.  So we'll see how long this configuration works.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,951 Valuable Player
    MiReal said:
    I won't show this system to my friends nor recommend it for purchase until this issue can be resolved permanently.  In fact, avoid it!  At least that's how I feel right now.  Really frustrated with what I've spent on this with the amount of time screwing with it trying to keep it running.

I played multiple games almost all day yesterday without issue, even my wife was using it.  Today I boot up and first the Rift doesn't work, can't detect the headset, check the cable, reboot about 5 times, now the headset is back, but the Touch controllers are locked in position and won't move.  Suddenly getting Sensor tracking errors throws me in to recalibrate the sensors, but get poor tracking, all of a sudden it's good, try to play something, boom, sensors drop out again.  What the F!

No changes to anything since yesterday, logs are showing alot of 'truncated camera frame' errors, and a few of these: '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175'

So why?  What's going on?  Why no issues sometime then all of a sudden a hailstorm.  
    Thought you'd be ok just that once eh?

No Sir, not once, not ever.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,899 Valuable Player
    jbarnes2 said:
    Kevin Williams warned long ago about sensor issues and guardian bounds jumping around.  Causing people to punch their wall! Maybe break fingers.  Guys are punching their wives in superhot, breaking wifes jar or knocking out her teeth from these issues,  not good to have guardian bounds jumping like this.  Kevin posted this video to warn you.

Ha, yeah right, where is one article that points to guys breaking their wives jaws and knocking out their teeth while playing Superhot VR?  That video is hilarious. lol.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Women !!!! Know your place !!!! ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,899 Valuable Player
    TC1999 said:
    MiReal when your say hmd disconnects which one are you getting as there is two types one says "we can't find your headset" this is a usb issue and another that says "your headset is not plugged in Make sure your hmdi is plugged in" this is when it can't find the headset via the hmdi. 

If if it's the second one then check the cable at the headerset end is fully plugged. If so and you still have the infamous hmdi not plugged in message then sit with the headset in your hands with ovulus home open and the notifications tab open and gently twist the headset or apply a little down pressure to the headset arm where the cable plugs in. Just to see if you can trigger the error. 

If if this happens then contact support as it may need treplacing. 

I had to have mine replaced for hmdi errors. 
    On Mine even the HDMI pop up is USB related.  Switched ports on USB when I was getting that error constantly to the point it was so annoying it was like someone was messing with you by plugging in and pulling out the USB over and over and over again to piss you off.  When I moved the cable from a front USB port to one on the back, the HDMI issue was completely gone and I didn't even touch the HDMI part of the cable.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    falken76 said:
    jbarnes2 said:

Ha, yeah right, where is one article that points to guys breaking their wives jaws and knocking out their teeth while playing Superhot VR?  That video is hilarious. lol.

That video is Hilarious, and I thank Kevin for trying to warn this community with that video what issues they should expect with inferior tracking or tracking issues.  That was a very nice Xmas present from him and made me laugh a lot too.  Nathan Barnatt/Kieth Apicary was in discussions with our company to come to CES last year and walk all over the show floor in his virtual boy outfit to try and raise community awareness, falling all over everywhere.  After talking with his managing agent we were concerned that CES would ban him and throw him out of the event for being too "truthful" of what issues the industry was really facing.  Kevin advised against this as it was a concern certain industry related companies would take great offense at kieth apicary's truth at CES, and another opportunity to raise community awareness was lost.

The articles are all over the internets, thousands of posts everywhere.  People hurting their dogs, punching their TV's, (even cybereality said he punched his new 4ktv)  Kevin is a user here, username kevinw729, search his posts, he has posted a Chinese guy getting his nose bloodied and broken at an event walking on a plank getting punched.  Why do you doubt the truth of this?  Just do a search at oculus with "punched" for a small sliver of this material:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/search?q=punched&restrict_sr=on&sort=comments&t=month

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5iiv3d/my_first_hour_with_touch_was_pretty_traumatic/?  He busts the shit out of his sister, but she is a real champ, takes it like Rocky Balboa. :)  (he breaks his bong though, that was the real travesty)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5jq4yg/i_punched_my_girlfriends_left_boob_today_and/?

This guy busts his girlfriends Boob implant, and she left him, he probably is better off, shallow women with boob implants like that probably wont make for good life long mates.

On another note, I just got through watching "a Christmas story" with little ralphy who wanted that red rider shot gun.  He was so happy, he woke up xmas morning with that cool toy, the one he wanted, and it worked great. As he says in the film, it made it the best xmas ever, and he remembered the joy for decades. I deeply empathize with OP to wake up xmas morning and have everything turn to shit on him, with no real near foreseeable solutions.  Talk about ruining xmas.  It seems the computer vision expert at Oculus (dov katz) that should be working this weekend to fix the tracking issues just got arrested for some issue, and this tracking issues may take much longer than expected to fix now that this has happened.  Unfortunately.  I would say the needs of thousands of little kids all over the planet to have tracking issues fixed would be the greater good for "society" than hurting mr. katz, but facebook is a family friendly company, and I see too much pressure from companies at IAAPA and other places that have customers they want to make sure know they are all about family friendly and wholesome goodness, so I see no way Mr. Katz is not fired and rebuked for reputations sake.  OP, if you do shoot your oculus, I will pay for the bullets if you will film it :)  Let the rest of the community feel your pain, witness your venting of anger, and meditate in the peaceful bliss of the experience with you.
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    There are people jumping into glass sliding doors (not breaking them...yet) just outside balconies and going into full runs assuming their game environments are real.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    MiReal said:
    into the Inatek 3.0 usb port/card and .......
    and there it is.....
    Brain Burst
    Thane_ said:
    There are people jumping into glass sliding doors (not breaking them...yet) just outside balconies and going into full runs assuming their game environments are real.

Thane, with hope, and faith, and a little humor, all problems can be overcome. :)
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    jayhawk said:
    MiReal said:
    and there it is.....
    Did you happen to install the usb card after getting Touch and setting up the second sensor?
    Either way, you need to be on the newest version of the drivers for these Fresco USB cards.

MiReal said:
    In settings under devices it showed the headset as not found.  I believe it's mostly a USB issue as I did check the cable on both ends and it was fine.  I've actually had zero issues with the headset, only since I added the Touch Controllers/sensor.

So I don't know if just a coincidence or this is going to be a fix or just for a little while.  I plugged the headset usb into my 2.0 usb motherboard port and left the 2 sensors plugged into the Inatek 3.0 usb port/card and rebooted. I was able to get everything up and running as though everything was perfect.  Ran SuperHot, BulletTrain & Dead & Buried without issue like yesterday where only an hour ago nothing worked.  So we'll see how long this configuration works.

It's not a coincidence, you have some USB issues.

Rule of thumb : 

HMD : USB 2.0
    Sensor 1 : USB 3.0
    Sensor 2 : USB 3.0 (though if you struggle 3.0 will suffice)
    Sensor 3 : USB 2.0

With that you will get the same real world performance as someone who has 3.0 working across the board.

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    HoIIywood said:
    jayhawk said:
    MiReal said:
    and there it is.....
    Did you happen to install the usb card after getting Touch and setting up the second sensor?
    Either way, you need to be on the newest version of the drivers for these Fresco USB cards.

I don't use a USB card. Made sure I picked a MOBO with lots of ports.
    Brain Burst
    HoIIywood said:
    jayhawk said:
    MiReal said:
    and there it is.....

MiReal said:

It's not a coincidence, you have some USB issues.

Rule of thumb : 

Sensor 1 : USB 3.0
    Sensor 2 : USB 3.0 (though if you struggle 3.0 will suffice)
    Sensor 3 : USB 2.0

With that you will get the same real world performance as someone who has 3.0 working across the board.

Ordered the USB card and installed same time I got the Rift (November).  Received the Touch last week and tried to have done as much homework as possible researching issues and resolutions as I could.  Seemed like what I read was everything 'should' be in a 3.0 port, but saw posts where something should be in a 2.0 port.  So after my issues this morning, my current configuration that is working at this point is:

Sensor 1 : USB 3.0 (Inatek Fresco card)
    Sensor 2 : USB 3.0 (Inatek Fresco card)

Motherboard 3.0 ports is ASMedia that don't work at all when trying them.
    Just used to something doesn't work, make change/upgrade, fixed, move on.  Not randomly work or not for hours at a time.  That's the frustrating part.

So next step I guess if this doesn't work (stay working), would be new X99 motherboard with a I7 cpu and at least 16mb ram with 3.1 USB ports (lots of em).  Recommendations welcome on what should work.  I have a Nvidia GTX 1070FTW graphics card already so I don't that expense to incur again.