New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

P3nT's sketchbook

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    Another 40 mins detailing, then some some hand mask painting in photoshop. Was tempted to go full overpaint on this one but my Wacom skills are rusty as hell

And she's on sketchfab, too

• Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Half an hour scribbling with a custom stamp I'm calling "Xenomorph". Pretty stoked with the results. Shared the stamp here https://www.oculus.com/medium/stamps/838673932952526/

Very Cool Man :) - its fun to paint the emissive shader !!
    And after forcing my poor brain to plod through all that difficult learney stuff, I let off some steam zombifying the basemesh I did yesterday.

And a little more detail...

Blocking in a new portrait. I did this in photoshop back when I was learning to Wacom and was pretty pleased with the results. Hopefully I can get this looking just about as good. 

Mistake no.1: He was gaunt bastard, Karloff, but with quite a chunky skull and square jaw. I've gone too thin. Fix it when I get back in.

Fixed (ish) Think I'm going to go batshit with the detailing on this, even though the actual original was a pretty crummy (by todays standards) prosthetic. The way I figure, technically speaking, the monster was pretty much just a homebrew zombie, assembled from kit-parts, right? Watch this space... 

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    The anatomy is spot on with this bust, great work :)
    @FrozenPea Thanks, man. Pretty stoked with the profile but not entirely happy with the front view yet. I think that might be paintjob as much as form, I'll reprime it tomorrow and get a better look. Think maybe the jaw needs to go wider still? 
    I can't see anything wrong with the profile but I'm no expert! :) Having a sleep on it and going back tomorrow always helps otherwise you'll get lost in!

Only suggestion I would make is maybe make the scar on the top left hand side less straight edge and more organic? I always try to imagine how they got that scar and how it would leave a mark, was it a rip, cut etc
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Man, I was up all last night with horrible nightmares. Not sure I should be clicking in these threads.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Neo
    Eyes are great :)  bigger bolt on the neck and more detail on the ear - fov right down 35mm is good - portraits always looks better with a 50mm lens I think medium just drag the slider all the way to left. Looking good ! 

@Sterling77 - Good call on the lense, I thought I had dragged it all the way left but I just checked and it must have been half way. Still a lot of detailing to do on the ears and neck, I'll get round to it  :)

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    You blew this one out of the water. Nicely done!
    This is one of the best sculpts I've seen, seriously good job man!! Your work has improved insane amounts over the last few months!  B)

You should try do some longer sculpts like these instead of lots of small ones, this really shows your talents!
    Thanks @DeadlyJoe @FrozenPea, I'ma do plenty more long sculpts, now that I know how to do long sculpts. Like you rightly pointed out I didn't really have said ability until tonight at about half past six  :)

Neo
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Thanks @DeadlyJoe @FrozenPea, I'ma do plenty more long sculpts, now that I know how to do long sculpts. Like you rightly pointed out I didn't really have said ability until tonight at about half past six  :)

Its so funny sculpting in the afternoon and then when you finish .. Take off the rift and its dark and your like whoa ! 
  • InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 249
    Nexus 6
    That's some really tidy work right there!
    Cycles Render. Not entirely sure the Medium version didn't look better. Hope not cos I've just wasted an entire night, not sculpting if that's the case.  :(

Project for the weekend. Take an old sculpt and chuck seven or eight hours worth of fiddly bits at it. See where I can get to with stupid-level details. Did this guy a while back just as a concept/speedsculpt/doodle thing. Pretty happy wi the concept and the pose. I'm going to do away with the chest shot and use the gouge in his cheek as shot two, Piercing his ear on the way out.

So far I'm about an hour and change into the detailing. Had to fix a lot of face anatomy cos I'd left it just scribbled in. 

Original is on Sketchfab for comparison

And another hour. Pretty stoked with how he's looking considering I think I have best part of another two, maybe even three res-ups in the bank for the head and prolly another couple on the body if I split the waist.

High detail workflow is rapid, now. 

I'm doing round the back, too, in a break from tradition. 

amazing details once again!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    Looking good! I don't think I've gone to that high a resolution on any sculpt yet.

If you didn't want to detail the right hand, I might have been inclined to take it off at the wrist rather than put a glove on it. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0